News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

From Paul Fuentes

Started by Bonster, February 18, 2008, 08:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonster

"I'll never deny I enjoy packing fudge, just never in a masculine arse."
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

Well worth the read!

"Given those parameters, I find it difficult for this board to work as effectively as a tool to help propose, shape, define or otherwise effect policy that could effect for example, the first two blocks from Roosevlt south with Harlem and Ridgeland the east and west borders.  Let's say I am a poster who lives 3,4,5 blocks away from that zone.  The proposal is let zone Roosevelt Road an entertainment district, where we would have an array of lounges that vary in presentring bands from country and western (W's favs) to Reggae (me thinks SHRUGGER braids his hair) to pop (Michelle Jackson is vindcated and will tour).  I am all in favor, as I would welcome the added places I can go and sip the Russian poison.  Let's assume, for purposes of further argument, that none of the 100+ posters lives in the affected zone.  We sound off, alll in favor, not knowing that Paulino Putoni Pero Vergudo and his wife Annabella Putona Itetona Pero Buenota do not have a computer, much less internet and live doors away from Roosevelt.  They (knowing Annabella, a devout Catholic) have 13 children, 26 grandchldren, and  52 great grandchildren living in the "zone" aside from their in-laws, and other extended family.  The proposal passes based on OUR endorsement, yet later Art, a friend of Annabella's grandaughter, Madonna LaMarrana Itetona, comes to inform us that since the develoment of Roosevelt Road, with no input from the "clan" and without a buffer to foot and vehicle traffic, have had a constant problem with vandalism, no place to park at night, no buffer for the music playing til the wee hours of the morning, and the constant barrage of drunks yelling, urinating on their lawns, and leaving beer bottles eveywhere, has made the quality of life so bad, that they will leave Berwyn at any price, essentially starting a market of cheap available real estate.

Let's say, Art warned us beforehand, but the issue becomes:  side with the developers who say footing the bill for cul-de-sacs and soundproofing would make the project cost-prohibitive v. side with the residents in the zone, where none of us live.  Can we trust ourselves to give the interests of those in the zone a weight equal to our interests?"
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

delbowz

"Let me try this Boris thing........."
Life is too important to be taken seriously. - Oscar Wilde