News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

2/26/07 Council

Started by OakParkSpartan, February 25, 2008, 07:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonster

god bless mike raymond.  i mean jesus christ, being married to berwyn patsy fer crapsake, that's gotta be some serious stress.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Berwyn Patsy

It is, I do have to say!!  LOL!!

Ted

Quote from: Bonster on February 27, 2008, 08:20:51 AM
Under which party did Nora run for 8th Ward Alderman?

She ran as a Democrat (BRDO).

Ted

Terri

Did anything positive happen regarding the Sears home?  Extension of time?   

OakParkSpartan

No.  There was a weird vote where Skryd basically had them vote on keeping their previous vote the same.

Phelan made his typical classless remarks.  Gail Lofgren (sp) from the BHS then explained what the BHS had done so far (getting 4 estimates, ComEd coming out to advice on best routes).  They've also been talking to the park districts (I presume North Berwyn).  One minor restrictions is that it probably won't be practical for the house to be moved south of the CN tracks, due to the underpasses (though it would just cost more to go around Riverside Dr.).

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

EC

A representative from the Berwyn Park District stated that they would work with anyone who wants the house with regards to the time frame. The time frame really is not a factor, thought the resources to under take the move and a location are the real issues.

frank white

Why was Skryd pushing to amend the no smoking in Police and Fire Vehicles? I thought the state law was comprehensive enough. Or was it that the jobs are so stressful that those guys really need to smoke? Any fanboys out there to help with this one?
I am Ozymandias. Ruler of Rulers, King of Kings. Look upon my works ye mighty and Despair!

truman40

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on February 27, 2008, 04:18:20 PM
No.  There was a weird vote where Skryd basically had them vote on keeping their previous vote the same.

Phelan made his typical classless remarks.  Gail Lofgren (sp) from the BHS then explained what the BHS had done so far (getting 4 estimates, ComEd coming out to advice on best routes).  They've also been talking to the park districts (I presume North Berwyn).  One minor restrictions is that it probably won't be practical for the house to be moved south of the CN tracks, due to the underpasses (though it would just cost more to go around Riverside Dr.).

Brian- I'm still alittle confused on Skryd's vote. Did she vote for keeping the 3 month time frame, which considering the magitude of the undertaking is ridiculous  or was her point to vote on demolishing the Sears home irregardless of a time frame?
And what was Phelan's classless remark? Has he not yet learned to think before he speaks.
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

OakParkSpartan

Skryd's motion was to keep the approval for the demo permit in place. 

As far as the smoking in vehicles, the ordinance was changed to match the state law.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

Quote from: frank white on February 28, 2008, 08:02:07 AM
Why was Skryd pushing to amend the no smoking in Police and Fire Vehicles? I thought the state law was comprehensive enough. Or was it that the jobs are so stressful that those guys really need to smoke? Any fanboys out there to help with this one?

Isn't her ol' man a cop?
She's probably pushing his agenda..!

http://www.fourthwardalderman.com/city.html
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Terri

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on February 27, 2008, 08:36:49 AM
They approved Phelan hiring that law firm.  Lots of talk about not actually PAYING for it.  I'll believe it when I see it.  One interesting exchange is when Weiner asked Phelan about his homeowneres insurance, and Phelan refused to answer.  The ordinance which Phelan submitted had a clause that the city would pay only when ordinary insurance would not cover the suit.  Apparently the aldermen chose to ignore this part of the ordinance and just.

As I said, I don't believe that this will end with no money being spent.  I hope EVERYONE remembers that only Weiner and Ramos voted against approving this communication. 
Took some time to digest this self-serving vote.  Our elected Alderman approved the hiring of Phelan's choice of defense in a PERSONAL MATTER.  Was the effect on the taxpayers considered?  Their duty is to make decisions on the council floor in our best interests, this vote is shameful.   

Many thanks to Alderman Weiner and Ramos for standing up for the residents!       

ZORBA

Ted

Quote from: Terri on February 28, 2008, 11:12:40 AM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on February 27, 2008, 08:36:49 AM
They approved Phelan hiring that law firm.  Lots of talk about not actually PAYING for it.  I'll believe it when I see it.  One interesting exchange is when Weiner asked Phelan about his homeowneres insurance, and Phelan refused to answer.  The ordinance which Phelan submitted had a clause that the city would pay only when ordinary insurance would not cover the suit.  Apparently the aldermen chose to ignore this part of the ordinance and just.

As I said, I don't believe that this will end with no money being spent.  I hope EVERYONE remembers that only Weiner and Ramos voted against approving this communication. 
Took some time to digest this self-serving vote.  Our elected Alderman approved the hiring of Phelan's choice of defense in a PERSONAL MATTER.  Was the effect on the taxpayers considered?  Their duty is to make decisions on the council floor in our best interests, this vote is shameful.   

Many thanks to Alderman Weiner and Ramos for standing up for the residents!       

This event got me to thinking about Erickson's suggestion about needing a council-manager form of government.

How would having a council-manager form of government have prevented this?   If you have a city council with members who do not act in the public interest, then how is a council-manager form of government going to act any differently than Berwyn's current form of government, except you would have taken away the mayoral fiigure who could use his/her veto power to prevent something like this?

Things that make you go hmmmm.....

Ted

OakParkSpartan

I think what really needs to happen is to have aldermen who are more mature than 4th graders, and I might be insulting some 4th graders.

Folks are too interested in fighting their personal battles rather than doing what is best for the city.

Remember, the whole Scott press release thing came about because Phelan hates the mayor, the mayor likes/supports Scott, and saying something nasty about Scott W was a way to get to the mayor.  How many folks on this board would behave like that?

frank white

Please clarify OPS the state law says that smoking is allowed in City owned vehicles just not in the buildings? Because as I saw it the state says no smoking in any vehicle that transports the general public. She then struck that sentence out seemingly to allow officers and Fire personnel the ability to smoke in the vehicles that transport the general publis i.e. prisoners and such. ????
I am Ozymandias. Ruler of Rulers, King of Kings. Look upon my works ye mighty and Despair!

OakParkSpartan

One other interesting item came up.

The HR lady, Pat, brought a consulting group around that looked at how we might save money on the employee health insurance policy.  There was a bit of a stink made about "how did they get information" and why didn't anyone ask our current broker.

I've still not heard a good explanation for why Bertucca is the only insurance broker who can get insurance for the city.

I think Count was onto something.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: frank white on February 28, 2008, 03:52:58 PM
Please clarify OPS the state law says that smoking is allowed in City owned vehicles just not in the buildings? Because as I saw it the state says no smoking in any vehicle that transports the general public. She then struck that sentence out seemingly to allow officers and Fire personnel the ability to smoke in the vehicles that transport the general publis i.e. prisoners and such. ????

You are right about the state law, but I think ours had an exception for vehicles that weren't used for the public.  The exception was removed, which means that we now matchup with the state.

Berwyn Patsy

Has anyone been appointed to fill Dennis Duffy's CDBG grant coordinator position yet?
What is the job description of a CDBG coordinator?

OakParkSpartan

I've heard an unconfirmed rumor.  Will attempt to get confirmation tonight.

It would be someone who is familiar with the Federal CDBG program, and administering such a program.

Bozzo

Any word on your unconfirmed rumor on the appt of someone who is familiar with the Federal CDBG program and administering such a program?