News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Bewyn Bungalow Society to Start in September

Started by Aimee, July 31, 2005, 10:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aimee

Just wanted to let all you Bungalow owners know, that in September
(no date set yet) We will be starting a Berwyn Bungalow Society.
We would like Bungalow owners to get involved and discuss our bungalows.
How we can restore them, refferences for work to be done, what has worked for you, gardening ideas, finding the correct wood trim, tileing, art glass, etc.

So I will keep everyone informed when this new society will start.
I hope all of you are interested. Please also get your ideas ready. We thought this was a good idea to keep our wonderful bungalows alive with history.
Bungalow love!

ruffian

Why do you have to own a Bungalow?  You don't have to own one to admire and have an interest in them.  I agree that there is other architecture that societies/clubs could form to promote or provide an outlet for that are interested.  Victorian Society (maybe one exists), ummm 3 and 2 Flat Society .. ok, maybe.  I stop at Section 8 Society unless it's a club composed of wackos using the Military description for same.

Bru67

Quote from: Berwynite on July 31, 2005, 01:04:31 PM
I'm not knocking this Bungalow "club" of sorts, but what about the people who do not own Bungalows?   There actually is a lot of nice architectural design in Berwyn that do not fall into the "over-sized apartment with stained glass windows" category.  I guess you are not in the loop if you don't own anything except a bungalow.

Hey!!  Don't diss the bungalow, ever.  That's just wrong.  I'm surprised that God hasn't struck you dead with a lightning bolt for that insult.  Great idea Aimee, I like it.  You guys are doing great on this.  Maybe even start a Bungalow Initiative like they have in Chicago. 

OakParkSpartan

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Port Meadow

There's nothing stopping anybody from forming a Berwyn Tudor Society or Berwyn Queen Anne Society, or just a general Berwyn Architectural Society. I think a Berwyn Bungalow Society has appeal because 1) something around 70-80% of the housing stock are bungalows 2) it helps people outside of Berwyn realize that Chicago bungalows actually exist outside of Chicago 3) the commonality of the design--floorplan, materials, etc.--means people who are part of the society would have a lot more to share and gain from each other. I always thought it would be an interesting project to document all of the different styles of bungalows in Berwyn, including stained glass window designs

Bru67

Quote from: Berwynite on August 01, 2005, 01:11:30 PM
Quote from: Bru67 on August 01, 2005, 11:15:44 AM
Quote from: Berwynite on July 31, 2005, 01:04:31 PM
I'm not knocking this Bungalow "club" of sorts, but what about the people who do not own Bungalows?   There actually is a lot of nice architectural design in Berwyn that do not fall into the "over-sized apartment with stained glass windows" category.  I guess you are not in the loop if you don't own anything except a bungalow.

Hey!!  Don't diss the bungalow, ever.  That's just wrong.  I'm surprised that God hasn't struck you dead with a lightning bolt for that insult.  Great idea Aimee, I like it.  You guys are doing great on this.  Maybe even start a Bungalow Initiative like they have in Chicago.  

Strike me dead?  Holy shit!   I started my comment by saying I'm not knocking the "club".  Yes, Bungalows look pretty from the outside but the floor plan of most are the same inside.  There are others who are proud of their homes as well and are not owners of Bungalows.  That was the point I was trying to make.  It wasn't intended as a diss.

Hmmm, well you're still here.  But I don't know.  I thought I heard some thunder a few minutes ago.....

Guy_on_Clinton

count me in..... 

i need ideas/ referals on:

Basements
Attics
Stormwindows
Lighting
Landscaping
Kitchens
Bathrooms

It'd be pretty cool if we could get some kinda certification for the bungalows... get the history of the building etc....

someone start designing the membership shirts again........
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

shrugger

yes Aimee, keep us posted!

and I love the sound of Port Meadow's "Berwyn Bungalow Project"TM. that would make a fantastic website.

we must cultivate our garden

Bear

For you bungalow people regarding stained glass
if any of you know who Alphonse Mucha was
several of those windows were patterned by himself or one of his students,
in the art deco style that he defined.
Most bungalow groups dont even know about this.
Mucha lived here for a few years, you can see his Four Seasons glass
panels that were pulled out of a house on the north side at the stained glass
museum at Navy Pier.
I am currently working on a project to produce large format graphics
in the art deco style for homeowners
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Ana

There are tons of books on bungalows for restoring, gardens, kitchens, bathrooms, living rooms, etc.  Do a search on Amazon.  I've purchased a few and they are great for ideas and for keeping you on the right track when you are restoring/remodeling.  Also, check out the houseinprogress.net website.  Their's is not a traditional Chicago Bungalow, I think it kinda looks like a Queen Anne type??  I purchased the same tile that they used for the 1st floor bathroom for my bathroom, subway-type tile and the floor is the same also.  They also have links to other restoration blogs.  Lots of ideas.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby