News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Retaining Wall

Started by Ana, April 06, 2008, 09:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ana

I have a retaining wall behind my garage that is falling apart (received a violation).  The kids and I are going to sledge hammer it away.  I have two questions for you:

1.  I know it's called a "retaining" wall, but is it necessary and/or do I need to replace it?  The only thing that is concrete is the shell, the inside is nothing but dirt.

2.  Where can I (legally) dump the concrete and dirt?

Thanks in advance.   :fiveoh:
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

OakParkSpartan

What is it holding up? 
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

watcher

Most likely it's only retaining the dirt behind it and separating it from the "lawn" area.

A true retaining wall acts as a support. A good example would be a basement stairwell.
When forces would naturally allow travel from one area to another, a retaining wall provides
an unnatural support to prevent movement of whatever material is unwanted.

In a garden, a retaining wall allows "raised beds" for plantings.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

Bear

To answer your question Ana, just spread the dirt out
and throw the concrete in your WM can. If you have
alot, just do it in stages so as not to PO your G-man.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Bonster

ana, doesn't your garage sit up considerably higher (like a foot or so) than the alley?
I wonder if it may be holding in the back fill the garage slab is sitting on.
(stalker info:  she's got a driveway, and no alley access to her garage.)

Anyway, I just wonder if that wall is below your garage slab.  You wouldn't want dirt running off from under the back of it, causing trouble later.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Ana

The wall is about 2 feet high and it seems like it is holding the foundation of the garage at the back facing the alley.  Yes, bon is right, I have a driveway so there is no door at the alley, just a wall.  We broke off part of the concrete and a nieghbor said the foundation goes all the way down so he thinks I won't need the wall.  The wall covered the foundation portion of the garage.

So you mean dirt from under the foundation running off into the alley?  Obviously, the wall is serving some sort of purpose, but what purpose, is my question?  Does the fact that it is falling apart mean that it is actually retaining?
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Bonster

Check out this li'l drawing.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa238/mcr_312/Berwyn/artg.gif

This is what I meant by the dirt under the back of the garage foundation...unless the garage foundation goes all the way to alley level (pretty deep foundation), you probably need some kind of retainer there...
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Hogzilla

Nice illustration Bon! I agree, from the looks of it, you will need something there or you could have a lot of wash off going into the alley and potential foundation issues with your garage.
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."