Classof67

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on October 09, 2009, 04:23:48 PM
I think the depression commercials are the worse!  Between
the music in the back ground, the sad faces and especially
the one with the dog looking sadly at his owner, you walk away
really thinking wow maybe it's me!
O.K. shake it off!

Oh, I know what you mean.
I couldn't tell who was more depressed, the owner or the dog! 
That's why I prefer to watch the few shows I watch on my computer (except DWTS) because the commercials or 20 seconds or less and are non-pharmaceutical based.

Berwyn Patsy

On a lighter note, I LOVE the comcast ones with the Slovenskys (sp?)
(turtles).
The newest one as the Mr. sits on top of the horse wagon and says "Come
on pretty lady grab your hoop skirt and jump right up here", is
priceless.  I love when she says "get down from there!".

Crunchie

Quote from: rbain on October 13, 2009, 06:19:57 PM
As for being a pompous windbag, it's one of the privileges bestowed by the CBE.
So when did you get your CBE?

rbain

There you go! I was worried you didn't have it in you!
Well played!
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

PamF

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on October 14, 2009, 06:32:13 AM
On a lighter note, I LOVE the comcast ones with the Slovenskys (sp?)
(turtles).
The newest one as the Mr. sits on top of the horse wagon and says "Come
on pretty lady grab your hoop skirt and jump right up here", is
priceless.  I love when she says "get down from there!".

I love the Slowsky's.  ;D

Crunchie

Oops, I was going to post something but just heard that a batch of American Eagle silver coins have been released and apparently people are killing each other to get one. I want to order mine before it's too late. ::)

buzz

I'll have a cherry lime rickey and a hard boiled egg !

Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

n01_important

Quote from: Crunchie on October 22, 2009, 11:06:28 PM
Oops, I was going to post something but just heard that a batch of American Eagle silver coins have been released and apparently people are killing each other to get one. I want to order mine before it's too late. ::)

I wonder if/when the US government will confiscate people's gold (and even move to silver)... again.
Stupid fuck

Crunchie

I'm sure you've seen those commercials showing beat up dogs and cats, and soliciting for donations to help abused/homeless pets. They've been pissing me off for a couple of months. Why, you ask? I like dogs, cats., etc., as much as the next person, but what struck me as odd was that they were asking for $19/month donation to "take care of an abused pet." The Christian Children's Fund can take care of a kid for $24/month, food and clothes combined, so the $19 figure struck me as way too high. So I checked into these folks, the Humane Society of the US (HSUS).

It turns out that they are mainly an anti-animal agriculture group, who want to end livestock farming in the US. One of the other main items on their agenda is to end the use of animals in circus acts. WTF? They seem more nuts than PETA. They have no connection whatsoever with the ASPCA, which is what a lot of people assume when watching the commercials. Only 3% of the donations are actually used for the intended purpose, the rest going to fundraisers and admin. What a con.

buzz

Quote from: Crunchie on January 23, 2010, 02:14:45 AM
So I checked into these folks, the Humane Society of the US (HSUS).

Thanks Crunchie.  I would have never questioned their intentions.  Good to know.

billyjean

Both Crunch and Buzz need a brain enema.  Crunch for you to slam an organization that goes above and beyond to help animals is beyond comprehension. 

http://www.youtube.com/v/v_K7lqMuRFQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&

notice that they mention in the above that blankets were donated.  So if you are so nervous about money, you could donate supplies of some sort.

http://www.youtube.com/v/foYNC18mwdU&hl=en_US&fs=1&

http://www.youtube.com/v/sVRSrUSloag&hl=en_US&fs=1&

Right now an entire team from HSUS has flown to Haiti to bring supplies and medicine, Vets to treat animals.

So for you to slam an organization that does fabulous work all over the nation and the world is just sick.

Their website:  http://www.humanesociety.org/

You may disagree with issues they either are for or against, but no one could question the conviction to help animals that this group has.  Crunch you should be ashamed.  Whether person or animal ... you live on $20.00 a month, see how that works out for ya.

n01_important

Show us the numbers.

What % go to saving neglected animals?
Stupid fuck

Crunchie

Sorry, they are self-serving ripoff artists. Just because they do a few things to get some positive press release material, it is just for show, and to reel in the suckers. Don't fall off the hook, you may drown.

http://activistcash.com/organization_overview.cfm/o/136-humane-society-of-the-united-states

billyjean

The U S Humane Society is one of the top 10 fiscally responsible charities in the US in "WORTH" magazine.

Here's the link:

http://www.worth.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=826:elite-list-10-most-fiscally-responsible-charities&catid=3:grow

"just because they do a few things" !!!!! OMG, Crunch, you need a nap.

Here we have a RICO case against the ASPCA.

http://www.animallaw.info/cases/causfd2007wl3285836.htm

Ppl hate PETA - ASPCA - HSUS .... hey, if it weren't for these and many more organizations ... !!! omg.  PETA goes overboard, but that is what they do to get attention.  ASPCA does wonderful work, but I'm sure they try to pull shots that get them in trouble too.  Any organization that receives donations somewhere along the way is not always going to spend the funds to satisfy every person.  Or ppl just may disagree with what the organization is trying to do.  You do what you can.  I mean we can go down the line with every damn organization known to mankind.  That's the problem with organizations.  They are always suspect of something or another.  Like I said ... you wanna help and fear sending $$$ .... donate food and supplies.

buzz

Quote from: n01_important on January 23, 2010, 03:21:15 PM
Show us the numbers.

What % go to saving neglected animals?
Did you go to Crunchie's link ?  The've accumulated $13M in assets, they don't operate a shelter in any State.  Read it.

Crunchie

Buzz, please don't ruin this thread by insisting on the use of facts. It's so much more fun to believe the Illuminati and Tesla are the source of the world's problems. ;)

For our friends who don't know how to use Google:
"HSUS spends millions on programs that seek to economically cripple meat and dairy producers; eliminate the use of animals in biomedical research labs; phase out pet breeding, zoos, and circus animal acts; and demonize hunters as crazed lunatics. HSUS spends $2 million each year on travel expenses alone, just keeping its multi-national agenda going.

HSUS president Wayne Pacelle described some of his goals in 2004 for The Washington Post: "We will see the end of wild animals in circus acts ... [and we're] phasing out animals used in research. Hunting? I think you will see a steady decline in numbers." More recently, in a June 2005 interview, Pacelle told Satya magazine that HSUS is working on "a guide to vegetarian eating, to really make the case for it." A strict vegan himself, Pacelle added: "Reducing meat consumption can be a tremendous benefit to animals."

Shortly after Pacelle joined HSUS in 1994, he told Animal People (an inside-the-movement watchdog newspaper) that his goal was to build "a National Rifle Association of the animal rights movement." And now, as the organization's leader, he's in a position to back up his rhetoric with action. In 2005 Pacelle announced the formation of a new "Animal Protection Litigation Section" within HSUS, dedicated to "the process of researching, preparing, and prosecuting animal protection lawsuits in state and federal court." "

billyjean

Crunchie:  ""HSUS spends millions on programs that seek to economically cripple meat and dairy producers; eliminate the use of animals in biomedical research labs; phase out pet breeding, zoos, and circus animal acts; and demonize hunters as crazed lunatics. HSUS spends $2 million each year on travel expenses alone, just keeping its multi-national agenda going."

Cripple meat and dairy industry?  I'm sure they would prefer that we were all vegetarians.  That said, we are not back in the days of the old time farmers.  We have big business running the farms.  Big business does not have your best interests at heart in the slaughter for meat or production of milk and dairy.  They could give you damn road kill and you'd be lickin your lips thinkin it was the best thing since sliced bread.  Animals do not roam free and live some kind of life before they are dispatched.  No, those days are long gone.  Instead they are made to suffer long before the slaughter.  It's high time organizations are moving against those that would otherwise be very happy to provide you meat from diseased animals ... who got the the disease because of unclean conditions and improper care.  

Research labs?  To quote Bill Maher ""To those people who say, 'My father is alive because of animal experimentation,' I say, 'Yeah, well, good for you. This dog died so your father could live.' Sorry, but I am just not behind that kind of trade-off."

I agree with Bill on that and I DEFINITELY agree that we do not need to test on animals for the billion dollar cosmetic industry.  FK THAT !!!!

lol "phase out pet breeding" ... OH YES, we NEED MORE PUPPY MILLS.  Crunchie are you insane???

Hunting?  Well, I don't know what HSUS wants ... probably NO hunting, but I see nothing wrong to cull with state limits on how long a season lasts and how much you can bag areas where there is over population.  I do, however, think ppl that conduct and participate in canned hunts are completely sick pathethic individuals.

Zoos years ago bordered on outright torture.  Thankfully, Zoos through study have tried to improve on the environments provided, however, they still are not ideal.  Zoos exist to make money, just like anything else.  I don't recall going to the zoo for nothing.  They themselves exist on money at the gate, concessions, special performances, and donations.  OMG ... another damn organization.

Animals condemended to perform in a circus, for the entertainment of humans?  Oh brother.  Can't you go to a gentlemen's club like everyone else?  At least in a Zoo for the most part they are not expected to perform, but it doesn't make life for them much better.  Zoo's for the future should be game reserves, preserving in a natural environment for future generations.

I may not agree to the same degree on each and every aspect of the goals of these organizations, such as hunting as in the true spirit of hunting, not letting go a caged animal let go from a zoo because of age and then bearing down on him with a weapon ... THAT is not hunting.  Puppy mills need to be stopped immediately.  Why is there no legislation that reaches across the land to stop it?  We are not talking professional bonafide breeders, we are talking gutter trash breeding.  Cruchie you have to seriously have a screw loose.  I hope you find it.  You state you like dogs and cats like the next person.  I don't think you do.  I think you are totally ignorant on the subject and have no empathy whatsoever to the worldwide suffering of animals.

You wanna experiment on animals to save grandpa or see if the soap you use is safe?

I gotta a better idea.

Experiment on the convicted child predators.  They're only going to get theirs in prison anyway.  

buzz

Quote from: billyjean on January 23, 2010, 10:41:55 PM
I gotta a better idea.Experiment on the convicted child predators.  They're only going to get theirs in prison anyway.   
That's not a "better idea".
That's the rambling of a sick mind.

billyjean

you standing up for convicted child predators and I'm the one who is sick !!!  Ha ha.  That's a good one.

Crunchie

Quote from: billyjean on January 23, 2010, 10:41:55 PM
You wanna experiment on animals to save grandpa or see if the soap you use is safe?

I gotta a better idea.

Experiment on the convicted child predators.  They're only going to get theirs in prison anyway.  
OK, I think we understand your position. Cut them a check tonight.