News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Property Tax assessment: neighborhood map

Started by sciapod, May 28, 2008, 09:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sciapod

I received the Cook County letter on my assessment hike -- I haven't been paying attention, I had no idea it was on the way.

On the Assessor site, they have an interactive map showing the boundaries of the neighborhood codes to use for comparable properties  -- but it doesn't work, and I cannot find a print version. Does anyone have a map, or know the boundaries of neighborhood 010?

Also, any luck fighting the assessments? On the plus side of the real estate drop, it will be no problem finding lo-priced comparables.  :-\

~LL~

If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

zilla545

You can go to the cook county assessor's website and type in different addresses and see how the other homes comparable to yours have been assessed.

sciapod

Quote from: zilla545 on May 28, 2008, 09:56:52 PM
You can go to the cook county assessor's website and type in different addresses and see how the other homes comparable to yours have been assessed.

Thanks -- I found a list of boundaries when I did a search. They are:

Berwyn

Neighborhood Number: 010
Boundries
North: 16th Street
South: Cermak Road
East: Lombard Ave.
West: Harlem Ave.

Neighborhood Number: 020
Boundries
North: Roosevelt Road
South: 16th Street

Neighborhood Number: 030
Boundries
North: Cermak Road
South: 27th Street/Home Ave./29th Street/Kenilworth Ave./29th Place/Oak Park Ave./30th Street
East: East Ave.

Neighborhood Number: 040
Boundries
North: Chicago Central & Pacific R.R./27th St/Home St./29th Pl./Kenilworth Ave./Oak Park Ave./30th St
South: Ogden Ave.
West: Harlem

Neighborhood Number: 050
Boundries
North: Cermak Road
South: Chicago Central & Pacific R.R.
West: East Ave.

Neighborhood Number: 060
Boundries
North: 31st Street
South: 35th Street
East: Oak Park Ave.

Neighborhood Number: 070
Boundries
North: Ogden Ave.
South: Pershing Road

Neighborhood Number: 071
Boundries
North: 35th Street
South: 36th Street
East: Harvey
West: Highland

Neighborhood Number: 080
Boundries
North: Roosevelt Road
South: 16th Street
West: East Ave.

Neighborhood Number: 090
Boundries
North: 16th Street
South: Cermak Road
West: Oak Park Ave.

renovatorbear

Hogzilla

Our assessed value went down about $180 from 2007. Still think it's high, we will see about contesting it.
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

tgoddess

Mine went up $5100 from 2007.  Oy. 

I may be moving.
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Mine went up $6900 on the main parcel and $120 on the adjacent parcel - asshats!  Looks like I will be doing battle with the assessor AGAIN!  You'd think I was living in Riversde - for chrissake.  In this real estate market this is ridiculous. 

tgoddess

I'm REALLY confused.  So according to the assessor, because my actual attic space is not accessible by a "permanent stair," my entire second floor (which I would not consider to be the "attic") IS considered the "attic."  WTF? ? ? ?  And apparently, I have a second (though completely invisible) full bath in my house that I wasn't even aware of!!!  I wish I'd known about THAT over the last 12 years.   I'll be sure to note that when I have to sell because of this tax increase.

Jeez.  And people actually are HAPPY when they have the government involved in their lives?  Good freakin' grief.

"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

gregdogg62

The assessed value of our house slightly decreased, but what I find strange is that all the homes surrounding us went up in assessed value.  Why would this be the case?

Boris

Ours went up $4,500...I checked every other property on the block (both sides) and were all within a couple thousand of each other and all the homes are pretty similar in size. I appealed two years ago, and got it lowered a little bit, at that time they told me to wait until now (summer 2008) to file a "real" appeal.

I just went online to do just that ( http://www.cookcountyassessor.com/data/active/appealonline.asp ), and the site returns this:

"Property Not Available For Appeals At This Time Verify P.I.N. And Try Again Or Check Filing Dates"

Pin is correct and filing dates are open...bureaucracy at it's best.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

tgoddess

Bonster

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these amounts you're posting - these are the deltas on your taxable amounts, not actual yearly increases.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

tgoddess

From the letter I got:

"Your Assessed Valuation"

Proposed 2008: $27,355
Previous 2007:  $22, 283

MRS. NORTHSIDER

I got you beat tgoddess but it doesn't pay to be a winner in this contest

YOUR ASSESSED VALUATION

Proposed 2008  $29,047
Previous  2007  $22,135

I had to practice my lamaze breathing when I opened up that envelope.

tgoddess

Guy_on_Clinton

SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

Robert Pauly

2008  $31,421
2007  $20,500

But I did find out that I have a finished attic.  I'm going to check it out tonight.

tgoddess

That "finished attic" thing is really confusing.  I've always just considered it the second floor of the house (since there IS attic space above THAT).  I don't get it.

renovatorbear

Mine doesn't begin to reflect the reality of my house and never has.  Our attic is finished and was when I bought the place.  Our basement is also finished (with a bath) as well (also that way when I purchased it).  My assesement states that we have a 3 bedroom, one level place. 

So, dumb question here...  I guess I should keep my mouth shut?   :coreyhart: