News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Marvel VS. DC

Started by Crunchie, June 13, 2008, 07:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crunchie

It seems like the Marvel superheros are getting a lot more movie shots than the DC comic characters. Besides Superman and Batman, almost all of the other DC characters have been pretty much ignored. I think Green Lantern and the Flash would make for good movies. Anyone have any ideas why DC seems to get much less attention than Marvel?

frank white

There has never been a real battle Marvel is always going to be king!! Except for Neil Gaman's Sandman to which there is no equal.
I am Ozymandias. Ruler of Rulers, King of Kings. Look upon my works ye mighty and Despair!

Guy_on_Clinton

DC..

that latest Superman movie sucked!
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

Thor

The Marvel Comics movies from the 70's really sucked. There was a few Spider-man movies with a costume that looked like someones mom made it for Halloween. 2 or 3 really bad Captain America movies that only had about 5 minutes of him in his costume. A really bad Dr. Strange movie. A really cheesy Fantastic Four movie, with Thing in a big foam rubber suit!

DC had the campy 60's Batman TV show. The 70's Superman  and 80's Batman movies were just as campy. DC just couldn't seem to loose that cartoonish feel to their movies.

I think Marvel definitely learned from their mistakes and are doing things right now. Plus Marvel has full control over their characters a Huge mistake that cost DC a ton of time and money to straighten out.
Looks like DC finally has Batman on the right track!
I was hoping that the last Superman movie was going to be good ...oh well maybe next time.
Stop your whining and think the way I do

Sherman

Marvel Comics all the way!  And, I think the reason for Marvel's edge was always the fact that their writing was solid.

But, I've gotta disagree with you about the first Superman flick from 1978.

It was written by the most beloved Mario Puzzo--the cat that brought us "The Godfather"...and I thought that, while the character of Superman was a little Dudley Dooright-ish (always had been), the premise of the film's plot (Lex Luthor's plan to destroy the West Coast using nuclear weapons) was very sophisticated for a comic book flick.

The second Superman flick, while campy, was also alot of fun--I loved it as a six-year old in 1980.  I wouldn't touch any of the rest, including the reboot, with Christopher Reeve's dead dick.  "Watchmen", although it was a DC, was still a Helluva flick...and it was great for the reason why Marvel kicked so much ass over the years--the writing was superb.  Ditto for the new Batman flicks--the rebooted Batman was light-years ahead of that shit Tim Burton was farting out in the late '80s/'90s...and Jack Nicholson wishes he could've done with the Joker what that Brokeback queer cowboy kid did.

Marvel Comics enjoyed that cinema renaissance starting a little over ten years ago--but the problem for me was that it came about ten years too late.  I was too old to get into The X-Men, Iron Man, or even Spider Man.

There's a new Spidey flick out now, and to be honest, I'm more than a little disappointed with the idea.  The original franchise isn't even ten years old--I mean, come on people!  The well isn't even close to being dry for Spider Man, and they're starting from scratch already?

pioneer

Another vote for Marvel Comics super hero movies.......

I think the reason most DC heroes don't work on the big screen is because they just don't seem to "exist" in the same "realities".......

I just can't see Batman, as seen in the recent Dark Knight movies, interacting with Superman (any film version) or the recent Green Lantern....

I think the Dark Knight movies are great and rival any marvel hero movie...but as a DC whole (when including Superman and the Green Lantern) they just don't match the coolness of the recent Marvel superhero films.....

Every single Marvel super hero as adapted for the big screen, to me, seems to co-exist in the same world as every other Marvel character we have seen filmed.  Even if they are from different studios, I can easily envision Spiderman living in the same world as the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Hulk, Captain America, Iron Man...etc..........it's the world of Marvel and it almost seems like the owners of the franchise (Disney I believe) have certain criteria/standards when these movies are produced.......it just doesn't seem that way for the DC character movies coming out.....

Dark Knight has a grittier vision as opposed to Green Lantern.....if the new Superman can capture than look and feel, we may someday see Frank Miller's classic Dark Knight graphic novels adapted to the big screen..........seeing a 60-something Batman kick Superman's ass would rule!!!!!!

But that will never happen...........  :'(

Then there's Catwoman and Daredevil.........what other DC superheroes have been brought to the big screen?....mostly forgettable and/or dissapointing....

Crunchie

I haven't seen the Green Lantern movie yet. Is it worth a rent?

Guy_on_Clinton

if you can get it at the redbox for  a buck....  ya
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!