News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

PoliceUSA.com

Started by truman40, September 16, 2008, 05:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

truman40

I got a call a few weeks ago from Police Org asking for donations. I NEVER give money out over the phone so I asked them to mail me something and I would look into whether I could donate money. I got their mailer today and it is tied to the website above. Its all very very busy but they seem like they do good work. I know there are a few people on here that are associated with law enforcement. So I am asking if they know anything about this organization? Their official name it The Police Protective Fund.
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

Crunchie

They are a shill group with a telephone boilerroom where they call out, asking for donations for the cops. They are not cops, just fund raisers, hoping to impress or intimidate you into giving them a "donation," which they take a good cut out of. If you want to donate to a legit fund, do it directly. This way is a ripoff.

Ted

Quote from: truman40 on September 16, 2008, 05:28:02 PM
I got a call a few weeks ago from Police Org asking for donations. I NEVER give money out over the phone so I asked them to mail me something and I would look into whether I could donate money. I got their mailer today and it is tied to the website above. Its all very very busy but they seem like they do good work. I know there are a few people on here that are associated with law enforcement. So I am asking if they know anything about this organization? Their official name it The Police Protective Fund.

Truman be ware.

There was a scam like this going on like this about a decade ago that the Berwyn Life newspaper exposed.  People would call claiming to be members of the Berwyn police or fire department would call asking for donations to a fund.

It turns out these guys were a scam group in Denver.  I actually donated a couple of times until I read the Life story.  When I got a call after the Life story, the guy on the line claimed to work for the Berwyn Fire Department.

I asked him who Frank Marzullo was.  He responded that he didn't know.  When I told him who Frank Marzullo was, he claimed he was just working for a company that was soliciting donations.  I then asked why when he called he claimed to work for the Berwyn FIre Department.  Then I asked where he was calling from and he said Denver.

I then hung up the phone.

I don't know if this is a legitimate organization or not. But, there was a scam like this about a decade ago.

Ted

Boris

I got a call yesterday. I hung up on the dude.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

dukesdad

95% of the money goes to the folks who are soliciting the money. The rest is wasted.

LOL

I always tell them that I can't give them money, but I'd be happy to help them out making the phone calls. Sometimes they'll actually admit to being a telemarketing firm, and other times they just say that they have enough people to make the calls. ;)
The word gullible isn't in the dictionary?