News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Saluki, the Arborvitae

Started by ruffian, August 22, 2005, 10:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruffian

I've been having trouble for quite some time in trying to post pictures here.  I have a new camera that only downloads jpeg format.  When you posted about your desire for privacy fence .. I want to post a picture, but couldn't.  So finally I can.

saluki

Thanks for posting the pic, Ruffian, they look great.   

Since the arborvitae are 6 ft, did you need a special permit to plant them?  I ask because in the city's fence ordinance it mentions that landscaping used as fencing is subject to the same height limits (ie. 5 ft on side fence when in middle of the block).  I hope I don't have to go through the hassle of getting a permit for something like this. 

Thanks again.

OakParkSpartan

Sorry, but I really hope this ordinance isn't actively enforced.  There's a lot worse crap in this town that needs to be cleaned up than someone with a 5'3" hedge. 

I'd plant them a little undersized, and let nature do its thing.

I still like the Bamboo idea to remove the neighbors yard though...

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

ruffian

Saluki, I have a fence as you could see.  I just put a couple of Arbs close to the front entrance for a little more dramatic effect.  So I myself am not using them as a fence.  As OakPark eludes to ..... I've seen weeds higher that 10 ft. completly consuming total areas of a property, and trust me ... I don't have to look far.  I'm with OakPark ... if they are going to do nothing about weeds and blight, but are going to complain when someone tries to beautify their property in a functional manner ...... I say ..... fudge ..... just do it.

saluki

Thanks, Ruffian, I agree with you on this.  I'll take my chances next Spring...I'd just love to see the city show up at my house and try to fine me for this when I can walk them down my street (actually just over to my neighbor's house!) and point out 10+ blight, overcrowding and garbage violations. 

We've decided we're going to go with both a fence and some arbor vitae (on our side) in case Mr. Budinski decides he wants to pop his head over our fence (which knowing him, he will).

Thanks again for the great ideas.