10/15/2008 City Council Agenda

Started by Ted, October 11, 2008, 10:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

Here is the city council agenda for this Tuesday's City Council meeting.  Looks like aldermanic health benefits and salary will be the hot topics.  Also, Alderman Phelan has an item to repeal the - "crime free multi-family ordinance" and  Alderman Erickson has an item - "Termination of the political farce known as the Main Street Program".

It also looks like Alderman Lovero is claiming two city vehicles were purchased without city council approval and that a restaurant at 6500 W. 16th street is selling liquor without a liquor license.  It also looks like the mayor is proposing a change in the number of liquor licenses and the level of the licenses.

There are also items for the city council to vote on the Cell Tower Flag Pole in Proksa Park and the alcoholic rehabilitation clinic on 26th street and approval of a newsletter to be put into Novembers bill.

FInally, there are several items on the agenda from the finance director,  including extending the city's line of credit by $2 million dollars

http://www.berwyn-il.gov/pdf/MtgAgendas/2008/20081014-CouAgenda.pdf

BERWYN CITY COUNCIL MEETING

OCTOBER 14, 2008

DEAR ATTENDEE.....THE MAYOR AND CITY COUNCIL WELCOME YOU. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS IS A MEETING OF THE MAYOR AND COUNCIL MEMBERS AS OPPOSED TO A PUBLIC HEARING WHERE ATTENDEES ARE ENCOURAGED TO PARTICIPATE. UNLESS INVITED BY THE MAYOR TO SPEAK, YOU ARE REQUESTED NOT TO INTERRUPT. IF YOU ARE RECOGNIZED BY THE MAYOR, PLEASE PREFACE YOUR REMARKS BY STATING YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS FOR THE RECORD. THANK YOU.
MICHAEL A. O'CONNOR                                                                     THOMAS J. PAVLIK
MAYOR                                                                                                 CITY CLERK

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AGENDA
ROLL CALL

(A) PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE - MOMENT OF SILENCE

(B) OPEN FORUM - (TOPIC MUST NOT BE ON THE AGENDA)

(C) PRESENTATION OF PREVIOUS MEETINGS MINUTES FOR APPROVAL
1. REG 9/23/08-COW 9/17/08 & 9/23/08

(D) BID OPENING - TABULATIONS
1. 2008 C.D.B.G. SIDEWALK IMPROVEMENT

(E) BERWYN DEVELOPMENT CORP.-BERWYN TOWNSHIP/HEALTH DISTRICT
1. BDC-HARLEM METRA STATION
2. BDC-TIF APP-RICARDO ZURITA-6535 CERMAK RD
3. BDC-BODHI THAI RESTAURANT, 6211 ROOSEVELT RD

(F) REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE MAYOR
1. DEFER-HEALTH INSURANCE COMPENSATION FOR ELECTED OFFICIALS
2. INSURANCE BENEFITS FOR ELECTED OFFICIALS
3. COMPENSATION FOR ELECTED OFFICIALS
4. UPDATE APPRAISAL OF OLD POLICE STATION
5. FORECLOSURE CLERK/SINGLE FAMILY REHAB COUNSELOR
6. LIQUOR LICENSE CHANGES
7. NOTIF ORDERS-CONCLUSION OF LIQ. LIC. HEARINGS PROCEDURES
8. LAND ACQUISITION

(G) REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE CITY CLERK
1. APPROVE CLOSED COW MINUTES-9/9/08, 9/23/08

(H) COMMUNICATIONS FROM ( ZONING) BOARD OF APPEALS
1. ZBA-RESOL-CAROLYN D. FULTON & FULTON ENTERPRISES-6843 CERMAK RD
2. ZBA-RESOL-DUI METRO SERVICES & ANDRE ROBLES-6243 W. 26TH ST.
3. ZBA-RESOL-BERWYN PK DIST-PROSKSA PK-3001 WISCONSIN

(I) REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS FROM ALDERMEN, COMMITTEES OTHER BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
1. CHAPMAN-"PUT OUT THE FLAMES" EVENT ON SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 2008
2. WAINER-PARKING-29TH PLACE
3. PHELAN-CRIME FREE MULIT FAMILY ORDINANCE
4. LOVERO-BUILDING DEPT NEW VEHICLES
5. LOVERO-CARNICERIA CINCO HERMANOS-6500 W. 16TH ST.
6. LOVERO-1822 GROVE-TREE REMOVAL
7. ERICKSON-TERMINATION OF THE POLITICAL FARCE KNOWN AS MAIN STREET PROGRAM

(J) STAFF REPORTS
1. DEFER-LAW DEPT-ESDA COORDINATOR ORD
2. LAW DEPT-SETTLEMENT CASE #08 WC 28851-IL WORKERS COMPENSATION COMM
3. LAW DEPT-THIRD ADDENDUM TO LEASE
4. FINANCE DIR-ORD-ISSUANCE OF $2 MILLION LINE OF CREDIT
5. FINANCE DIR-DISPOSAL OF 1986 AQUATECH SEWER CLEANER
6. FINANCE DIR-CHICAGO WATER RATE INCREASE
7. FINANCE DIR-GENERAL LEDGER ACCOUNTANT
8. FINANCE DIR-ACTUARIAL VALUATIONS
9. FIRE CHIEF-MUTUAL AID AGREEMENT WITH VILLAGE OF RIVERSIDE FIRE DEPT
10. FIRE CHIEF-DEMOLITION OF 1535 CLARENCE
11. FIRE CHIEF-NEW HIRING SUGGESTION FOR THE BERWYN FIRE DEPT
12. PUB WKS DIR-WAIVER BIDS & AWARD OF SALT CONTRACT
13. PUB WKS DIR-AWD BID- ROOSEVELT RD WATER & SEWER MAIN IMPROVEMENTS
14. DIR OF NEIGHBORHD AFFAIRS-PEST CONTROL CONTRACT FOR 2009
15. DIR OF COMM OUTREACH-CITY NEWSLETTER FOR APPROVAL
16. LAW DEPT-CLEAN CITY COMMISSION
17. H.R. DIR-LIBRARY EMPLOYEES LETTER OF UNDERSTANDING

(K) CONSENT AGENDA: ALL ITEMS ON THE CONSENT AGENDA ARE CONSIDERED TO BE ROUTINE IN NATURE AND WILL BE ENACTED IN ONE MOTION. THERE WILL BE NO SEPARATE DISCUSSION OF THESE ITEMS UNLESS A COUNCIL MEMBER SO REQUESTS, IN WHICH EVENT THE ITEM WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE CONSENT AGENDA AND CONSIDERED AS THE FIRST ITEM AFTER APPROVAL OF THE CONSENT AGENDA

1. BUDGET CHAIRMAN-PAYROLL-10/1/09-$798,549.95
2. BUDGET CHAIRMAN-PAYABLES-10/14/08-$2,650,713.43
3. CHAPMAN-REQ HANDICAP SIGN-M. JULIUS-3831 MAPLE-APPROVE
4. PHELAN-REQ HANDICAP SIGN-C. MURGUIA-1818 RIDGELAND-APPROVE
5. LOVERO-REQ HANDICAP SIGN-V. SANCHEZ-1820 OAK PK AVE-DENY
6. LOVERO-REQ HANDICAP SIGN-M. KELLY-1932 WISCONSIN-APPROVE
7. LOVERO-REQ HANDICAP SIGN-A. BOOKER-ROBINSON-1821 HARLEM-WITHDRAW
8. LOVERO-REQ HANDICAP SIGN-V. CALABRESE-2115 CLINTON-APPROVE
9. ERICKSON-REQ HANDICAP SIGN-C. MAREK-1312 EAST AVE-APPROVE
10. COLLECTOR-BUSINESS LICENSES ISSUED SEPTEMBER 2008
11. BUILDING DIR-BUILDING PERMITS ISSUED SEPTEMBER 2008
12. ST ODILO-OKTOBERFEST-10/18/08
13. CIGARS & STRIPES-ANNIVERSARY EVENTS-10/31/08 & 11/1/08
14. BLOCK PARTY 1200 SCOVILLE-10/31/08
ITEMS SUBMITTED ON TIME 55

In accordance with the provisions of the Americans with disabilities Act, any individual who is in the need of a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in or benefit from attendance at a public meeting of the City of Berwyn should contact Thomas J. Pavlik, City Clerk at 708/788-2660 as soon as possible before the meeting date.

Sandy

Can we have a proposal to terminate Erickson as an alderman?
"Modern cynics and skeptics see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing."
John F. Kennedy

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bear

Ah yes, the Fall season of Tuesday Night Lites beckons...

Java, Java?
An Expresso joint is going to open in the Harlem ave. station where the ticket
office used to be. Java and pastry will be the fare. This cat will be paying $1600
per month for the space. He will have to move product big time to cover that nut.

Speaking of nuts...
#8 seems to have a hard on for Main Street. He wants #4's head on a platter as well
as resignations from everyone else. He is screaming malfeasance and such. This character
defies any logical explanation for his ineptitude. Not to worry April will be here before we
know it and the boil known as #8 will be lanced.

Papa got a brand new bag
Well, not a bag, but a NEW CAR, the building director got one too. Problem is OC bought
daddy dearest new wheels to tool around in 60402 without council approval. #7 is rightfully
demanding explanation and the complete paper trail of the purchased vehicles. That paper trail
will make for an interesting read. As you can see boys and girls, the budget quagmire does not
apply to everyone, just union people.

Here is some music for you to listen to while you read the packet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqdYBT-b2aI
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Bonster

Which DCoBer emailed you that post?

I'll modify it so it makes some sense:

What #8 is doing is no different than #7 is with respect to the Oak Park Housing Center -- agenda driven.

Speaking of nuts...
#7 seems to have a hard on for anything not of his own making . He wants OC's head on a platter as well
as resignations from everyone else. This character defies any logical explanation for his ineptitude. 
Speaking of ineptitude...can anyone cite anything #7 has done in the last 4 years - for the city or his ward?

Papa got a brand new bag
#7 is demanding explanation and the complete paper trail of the purchased vehicles. That paper trail
will make for a boring read. As you can see nitwits and seniles, #7 thinks nothing can be done in this city
without his sole approval.

Bear

Bonsie, your defending #8? Ah silly me, I can see you and him being good buds...

Birds of a feather...Roost in the garage.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Bonster

No, not defending #8, just showing that your Messiah is no different -- or better.

And that would be "you're" not "your" ...

Ah silly me, I can see you and him being good buds...

Birds of a feather (buzzards)...Roost in your dog shit-filled garbage.

Sandy

"Modern cynics and skeptics see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing."
John F. Kennedy

OakParkSpartan

I'll update tomorrow.

Idiocy reigned supreme.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bear

All of the elements were there for such to happen

Bear

Berwyn Patsy

Sounds like the usual to me.  Every meeting we went to, I would
walk away,shocked and just knew it would not be repeated the next week,
I was wrong every time.
It is time for a clean-up in City Council and which ever way that goes, or who the crowd is that will be voted in,
hopefully peace and progress will start to happen.

Ted

Quote from: Bear on October 15, 2008, 06:27:49 AM
Things must be improving at the Life, this was posted in a timely
manner...

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/berwyn/news/x1261523880/City-Council-meeting-a-time-for-bickering-some-voting

The opening paragraph by Kristen Zambo:

"A grade school playground it wasn't, but some residents sitting in the audience Tuesday night sure may have thought that's what it was. Instead, they were observing the Berwyn City Council's Committee of the Whole meeting, immediately followed by the 8 p.m. City Council meeting. There were snide remarks liberally dosed with jeering, some taunting, back-biting, sniping, yelling, backs turned on one another, and talking when it was another person's turn."

Bear

Kristen must be new. Our council meetings must be a real trip for her lol.
Looking forward to your report OPS. It can only get better.

tgoddess

I'm just shocked that the Life finally has someone covering these meetings.
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Bear

Did Cari Brokamp leave? Kristen seems to be the new 60402 news chick.

menace2society

Berwyn, IL -
A grade school playground it wasn't, but some residents sitting in the audience Tuesday night sure may have thought that's what it was.

Instead, they were observing the Berwyn City Council's Committee of the Whole meeting, immediately followed by the 8 p.m. City Council meeting. There were snide remarks liberally dosed with jeering, some taunting, back-biting, sniping, yelling, backs turned on one another, and talking when it was another person's turn.

It's not like there wasn't serious municipal business to address, ordinances on which to vote and funding requests to consider – during a time when the city is in a budget crisis, residents are being laid off and losing their homes. It's just that as the meeting stretched beyond 10 p.m., these remarks and attitudes just became increasingly more prevalent.

And after awhile, even residents in the audience got in on it, jeering and muttering under their breath as council members bickered, and uttering some condemnations of the way City Council members were acting.

"I ask you, is this 1942? Is this Nazi Germany or Berwyn?" Ald. Michael J. Phelan, 6th Ward, asked  after aldermen voted 5-3 against hiring a multi-family housing inspector.

"Like the Wal-Mart in Forest Park?" asked the usually quite Ald. Mark Weiner, 3rd Ward, referring to Phelan's arrest July 27 in Forest Park after an altercation with a security guard at a Wal-Mart.

Phelan was cited with two counts of disorderly conduct, a local ordinance violation.

"Dec. 3 (at Forest Park Village Hall) if you want to view the (store surveillance) videotape and see what really happened," Phelan snapped back.

Later during the meeting, before aldermen voted 8-0 against the Berwyn Park District's request to erect a cell tower in Proksa Park, Weiner came back to that Nazi comment.

"My forefathers are dead because of the Nazi's and I really don't appreciate that," he told Phelan.

Even Mayor Michael O'Connor and Ald. Nona Chapman, 1st Ward, traded barbs.

At 10:06 p.m. Phelan told O'Connor that a motion needed to be made, according to council regulations, to continue the meeting later than 10 p.m.

"H3," O'Connor said loudly in response, referring to the next agenda item on Proksa Park and the cell tower zoning request that Zoning Board of Appeals members voted down in September.

As Phelan protested, O'Connor continued to call out "H3" as Chapman said she didn't believe that any of their votes would count if aldermen didn't first vote to continue the meeting later than 10 p.m.

"What is the big deal?" O'Connor asked.

"Well mayor, it's in the ordinance," she retorted.

O'Connor said he wanted aldermen to vote on the Proksa Park agenda item before voting on whether to continue the meeting – which they did at 10:10 p.m.