News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

11/11/08 Council Meeting

Started by OakParkSpartan, November 11, 2008, 12:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Malina

Quote from: Nazerac on November 12, 2008, 02:49:19 PM
Quote from: SILK on November 12, 2008, 02:45:16 PM
Details, details, details Beian .....

Why preserve a historic bank building when "economic developent" will yield a strip mall with a Radio Shack, BoRics, and Taco Bell?

A nail salon, and a taqueria.
don't forget a currency exchange, a laundromat and a ropa para putas shop.
"I have never killed a man but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

Nazerac

dukesdad

And according to some, a Starbucks and a Potbelly. Regardless what businesses went in there, they would have contributed property and sales taxes for the last 10 years. Plus, we wouldn't have a rotting pile of crap sitting on one of the most prominent corners in our city. At some point, fish or cut bait.

ZORBA

Kind of hard to fish when you have so many crapping in the water.....

Ana

Quote from: dukesdad on November 12, 2008, 03:04:36 PM
And according to some, a Starbucks and a Potbelly. Regardless what businesses went in there, they would have contributed property and sales taxes for the last 10 years. Plus, we wouldn't have a rotting pile of crap sitting on one of the most prominent corners in our city. At some point, fish or cut bait.

Sure so Superblock can resemble the Liberty Cultural Center and its historically significant parking lot.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

dukesdad

Ana,

Have you seen the Liberty Cultural Center lately, or are you still boycotting? Looks pretty damn good to me.

Ana

I'll venture out of my comfort zone to see what you have done with the place.  Why did you decide not to raze that building?
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Ana

Quote from: A.Malina on November 12, 2008, 02:59:00 PM
Quote from: Nazerac on November 12, 2008, 02:49:19 PM
Quote from: SILK on November 12, 2008, 02:45:16 PM
Details, details, details Beian .....

Why preserve a historic bank building when "economic developent" will yield a strip mall with a Radio Shack, BoRics, and Taco Bell?

A nail salon, and a taqueria.
don't forget a currency exchange, a laundromat and a ropa para putas shop.

I like the shop name.  That will go so well on Cermak road right next to that love store.

dukesdad

Because we wanted the gym, stage, kitchen, party room, bar. It's good, cheap, usable space. The Sokol building was ugly, it's not too bad now. The parking lot will be done in the Spring, the ground needs to go through a Winter's freeze/thaw cycle so that it settles naturally. If we tried to pave it now, we'd have a huge birdbath where the house foundation was. We're going to try and get grants for permeable paving to minimize/eliminate runoff. If anyone has any grant ideas we'd be glad to hear them.

OakParkSpartan

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Ted

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on November 12, 2008, 01:17:18 PM

I'd never heard of the electoral board before.  Where did you find this info, and does it describe their duties?

And that does seem to be a huge conflict of interest.

I found out about the electoral board in 2000 when an IVB petition was challenged by a friend of Tom Shaughnessy (a guy who owned a bar on Ogden).  I decided to go to the hearing, which is where I found out that the local election board is made up of the mayor, the city clerk and the alderman with the most seniority. 

I think this is Illinois state law.

Ted

Terri

Can't help but ask, the lap dancing bar? 

ZORBA

Well Terri, there are only SO many bars on Ogden.....

Bear

Ah Jimmy's...Took my customers there for lunch, great sandwiches!
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Terri

Quote from: Bear on November 12, 2008, 07:10:45 PM
Ah Jimmy's...Took my customers there for lunch, great sandwiches!
That's right, Jimmy's.  Bear, I knew you'd remember. 

ZORBA

Bear,

You must be the only guy in Berwyn who went to Jimmy's for the sandwiches.

Ted

Quote from: Terri on November 12, 2008, 06:57:40 PM
Can't help but ask, the lap dancing bar? 

It was a bar on Ogden between Oak Park avenue and East Avenue on the north side of the street.  I think the guy's name was something like Bud Gaspar?  Apparently, the bar's owner and Tom Shaughnessy were real good friends.

Ted

ZORBA

Ted,

That's Buds Lounge, where Cigars and Stripes is now.

Shaughnessy was a regular.

Terri

Quote from: Ted on November 12, 2008, 07:57:39 AM

Here are some notes from tonight's city council meeting:

1. Mainstreet program - Alderman Erickson read a long statement (the reading lasted about 10 minutes) about Berwyn's Main Street program, during which he accused Alderman Skryd of poor management of the program; driving away the former director of Main Street; hiring the current director as a political favor even though the current director does not meet the experience criteria set by the board of directors; hiring the current director by "annointing him" rather than following the by-laws; driving away board members who were involved in Main Street; and alleging that Alderman Skryd suggested that the organization just say it had been "designated" by the state of Illinois when it had not.  Erickson then asked for all documentation of Main Street, including its by-laws and suggested that all material be forwarded on to the States Attorney's office.

Alderman Chapman made a motion to ignore Erickson's agenda item because it had already been voted on at the October 14 city council meeting. Erickson responded that at the October 14 city council meeting Alderman Skryd was not present and that the city council had agreed that Alderman Skryd should answer Alderman Erickson's questions. The motion to ignore Alderman Erickson's agenda item because it had already been brought up at the October 14 city council meeting passed, with Lovero, Chapman and Skryd voting to ignore the agenda item; Aldermen Weiner and (I think) Day voting Present; Alderman Phelan voting Nay, saying he wanted to hear what Erickson had to say.  Erickson read his communication as part of his vote, since it was obvious the motion to ignore the communication was going to pass.

Has MainStreet received designation by the State or not?  Alderman Skryd suggested designation, to whom? 

Ted, thank you for your reporting. 

Thor

Also was anything mentioned at Council about the TOD study in the DD?
Stop your whining and think the way I do