News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Leaking roof advice?

Started by Port Meadow, September 05, 2008, 10:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Port Meadow

Last night, a corner of the ceiling in the octagon portion of our bungalow began dripping from all of the rain. After inspecting the outside of the house, it looks like it's right where the gutter downspout is located. But do we call a roofing company or a gutter company to take a look at it? Any advice and references are appreciated!

tony la

I would call chicagoland roofing 708-656-2828 in Cicero.
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

Boris

Moore Construction Inc
6501 Ogden Ave. (NW corner of Ogden & Gunderson)
(708)788-9283
Michael Moore, owner of Moore Construction, is a true
professional through and through.  He and his company
are honest and stand behind their work with a 10 year
labor warranty. He does everything from gutters to entire
gut rehabs and exteriors (windows, siding, roof, gutters,
soffit and fascia). Moore Construction comes to us with
high praise from several sources.

(via the Insider)

Moore did our roof, gutters and siding. I will not let another contractor touch the outside of our house.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Bonster

Moore won't do a job that small.  Chicagoland Roofing will.  Bonded in Berwyn.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Robert Pauly

Have you checked out the roof of the octagon?  I had dripping from my ceiling a few years back - it turned out to be the flashing from the octagon roof to the main house.  A few tubes of caulk fixed the problem.

Bear

Very true, leaks can travel from different areas,
there are not always directly above the problem
area.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

watcher

Quote from: Bear on September 05, 2008, 02:45:36 PM
Very true, leaks can travel from different areas,
there are not always directly above the problem
area.

add me to this observation. flashing would be the place to start.

A.J. O'Rourke Roofing and Maintenance
708-681-0508

cell: 708-710-4488
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

Port Meadow

Thanks guys! We have not had a chance to get up on the roof to look, but good to know that's another possible source of the problem. The paint has actually been bubbling on the ceiling somewhat in the same area over the past few weeks, but with no sign of water infiltration, so maybe they're connected

PamF

Quote from: Bonster on September 05, 2008, 12:42:23 PM
Moore won't do a job that small.  Chicagoland Roofing will.  Bonded in Berwyn.

I've used Chicagoland and would recommend them. 

Green Tea

Chicagoland did our entire roof, great guys and I recommend them too.

We originally called Michael Moore based on a recommendation. He showed up with his team to do the roof a year ago, and then his team said: "you're house is too tall" and they took off. Then Chicagoland came and saved us (cheaper too).

Port Meadow

Just an update--not sure what the deal is with Chicagoland, but they have been very unresponsive. They sent someone to look at our roof when we weren't home, and since then, we have not been able to get them to send us an estimate. Maybe the job was too small for their tastes. And we've left messages with O'Rourke and some others, and no response. I'm just confused as to why a business would be that unprofessional. Just tell us the job is too small, or you're too busy. So now we're waiting for Lindholm to drop by. I'd love any other suggestions for other companies. It's taking way too long to get this leak fixed.

Green Tea

You're so right, they have really been unresponsive lately. Last year they were great and this year we just needed one more section done, and to take a look at what may be a leak, and they are just NOT GETTING BACK TO US!! It's very annoying. Soon there will be snow and it will be even harder. I retract my recommendation.

OakParkSpartan

I've used B. Allendorfer for work and was happy with the results.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Green Tea

Chicagoland did the last party of our roof and it looks really nice. Not too expensive either. When I called and talked to John then he did a better job of keeping in touch and showed up the next week. I guess it just takes persistence. They are busy!

watcher

The problem you find in late August and beyond is that most roofers are booked up solid and know they're racing Mother Nature.

At that point, finding a roofer who's idle is not exactly a ringing endorsement of their product or workmanship.

The bigger outfits may be able to split one of their better crews to fill the void, but with layoffs looming and more work than workers...

If you are in such a situation, you might want to ask about a temporary fix to get through the winter or until a crew is available.
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass