12/9/2008 City Council meeting

Started by Ted, December 06, 2008, 08:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

Interesting city council meeting this Tuesday.  Tom Skryd's grievance will come before the whole city council. The Fire and Polce Commission voted to deny the grievance with Erickson and Day voting to Deny the Grievance (on the basis that having money in the budget does not mean a position has to be filled) and Chapman voting to not deny the grievance.   Chapman also has a separate agenda item on the promotion of two sergeants.

CIty is doing a supplemental appropriation of $747K allocated to the general fund and $4.7 million involving the TIF funds.  This will required approval by 2/3 of the city council.  It sounds like they are moving TIF funds into the general funds but I was not sure reading the submital that that is what is happening.

Next years' budget is proposed with a proposed 5% tax increase. Erickson is proposing a tax freeze. Hearing is on December 23.

Looks like the city is proposing the outsourcing of snow removal to a company called Superior, which would do "primary" removal while PW would do "secondary".

Health Care proposal and bids and yet another attempt to get city unions to pay part of their health care costs.  Going out to bid for health insurance agent is expected to save $100K (is this goodbye to the omnipresent Mr Bertucca?).  The proposal is again proposing that city workers pay part of their health care costs and that other health care providers be considered.  According to the packet, last year, the city could have saved $500K if they had decided to go with a health care provider other than Blue Cross/Blue Shield but the unions would not accept another health care provider so that tax payers have to pay an extra $500K.  Such a deal.

BDC requests from La Notte ($63K); Friendly Tap and Horrobles ($13K); Westside Media (loan of $54K); Artpsace consulting going to phase 2 ($30K).

The mayor is proposing that Main Street have a contract with the city similar to the BDC and it looks like the city wants more control over Main Street.

Appointment to the Ethics Commission of Wayne Parthum, Ray Fron and Jaime Flores.

A guy in the fire department has retired so the fire department is recommending the hiring of a new fireman.  In reading the packet, it looks like people who retire stil get their health care paid in full by the city?

Here is the agenda:

BERWYN CITY COUNCIL MEETING

DECEMBER 9, 2008

DEAR ATTENDEE.....THE MAYOR AND CITY COUNCIL WELCOME YOU. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS IS A MEETING OF THE MAYOR AND COUNCIL MEMBERS AS OPPOSED TO A PUBLIC HEARING WHERE ATTENDEES ARE ENCOURAGED TO PARTICIPATE. UNLESS INVITED BY THE MAYOR TO SPEAK, YOU ARE REQUESTED NOT TO INTERRUPT. IF YOU ARE RECOGNIZED BY THE MAYOR, PLEASE PREFACE YOUR REMARKS BY STATING YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS FOR THE RECORD. THANK YOU.
MICHAEL A. O'CONNOR                                                               THOMAS J. PAVLIK
MAYOR                                                                                          CITY CLERK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AGENDA
ROLL CALL
(A) PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE - MOMENT OF SILENCE

(B) OPEN FORUM - (TOPIC MUST NOT BE ON THE AGENDA)

(C) PRESENTATION OF PREVIOUS MEETINGS MINUTES FOR APPROVAL
1. REG-11/25/08-COW-11/24/08-11/25/08

(D) BID OPENING - TABULATIONS

(E) BERWYN DEVELOPMENT CORP.-BERWYN TOWNSHIP/HEALTH DISTRICT
1. BDC-TIF APP-LA NOTTE CAFE, 6822-24 WINDSOR
2. BDC-TIF APP-FRIENDLY TAP & HORRORBLES-6731-33 ROOSEVELT RD
3. BDC-REQ FOR COMMERCIAL LOAN APPROVAL-WESTSIDE MULTIMEDIA 7023 ROOSEVELT
4. BDC-ARTSPACE PHASE II APPROVAL
5. BDC-MATERIALS TESTING APPROVAL-PARKING STRUCTURE

(F) REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE MAYOR
1. DEFER-SNOW PLOWING
2. 2009 CITY OF BERWYN BUDGET
3. MAIN STREET
4. eCIVIS GRANT SOFTWARE
5. ETHICS COMMISSION
6. LAND ACQUISITION

(G) REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE CITY CLERK
1. ORDINANCE AMENDING SEC 1048.13 OF THE CODIFIED ORDINANCE

(H) COMMUNICATIONS FROM ( ZONING) BOARD OF APPEALS

(I) REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS FROM ALDERMEN, COMMITTEES OTHER BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
1. DEFER-CHAPMAN-LA NOTTE REMODEL PROJECT
2. CHAPMAN-3841 OAK PARK AVE ALLEY & GARAGE
3. CHAPMAN-SERGEANTS PROMOTION
4. WEINER-ALLEY SAFETY GUARDRAILS AT 6905 STANLEY
5. ERICKSON-THE ECONOMY & TAXES-A TAX FREEZE
6. F&P COMM-GRIEVANCE FILED ON BEHALF OF T. SKRYD
7. BHPC-MARIK PROPERTY

(J) STAFF REPORTS
1. DEFER-FIRE CHIEF-HIRE PROBATIONARY FIREFIGHTER
2. LAW DEPT-eCIVIS CONTRACT
3. LAW DEPT-SETTLE CASE # 08 C 1124 (U.S. DIST CT FOR THE NORTHERN DIST OF IL)
4. LAW DEPT-ORD-SISTER CITIES
5. PW-2009 MFT AUTHORIZATION, RESOLUTION & MAINTENANCE AGREEMENT
6. PW DIR-ENGINEERING AGREEMENT FOR SECURITY UPGRADES WITH CDM
7. FINANCE DIR-2008 BUDGET AMENDMENT
8. FINANCE DIR-TAX LEVY
9. H.R. DIR-HEALTH INS. BID PROPOSALS
10. OUTREACH DIR-CITY NEWSLETTER FOR APPROVAL
11. LIBRARY DIR-SUNDAY LIBRARY HOURS

(K) CONSENT AGENDA: ALL ITEMS ON THE CONSENT AGENDA ARE CONSIDERED TO BE ROUTINE IN NATURE AND WILL BE ENACTED IN ONE MOTION. THERE WILL BE NO SEPARATE DISCUSSION OF THESE ITEMS UNLESS A COUNCIL MEMBER SO REQUESTS, IN WHICH EVENT THE ITEM WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE CONSENT AGENDA AND CONSIDERED AS THE FIRST ITEM AFTER APPROVAL OF THE CONSENT AGENDA
1. BUDGET CHAIRMAN-PAYROLL-11/26/08-$832,612.06
2. BUDGET CHAIRMAN-PAYABLES-12/9/08-$1,505,953.01
3. BUILDING DIR-BUILDING PERMITS ISSUED-NOVEMBER, 2008
4. COLLECTOR-BUSINESS LICENSES ISSUED-NOVEMBER, 2008

ITEMS SUBMITTED ON TIME_35____
In accordance with the provisions of the Americans with disabilities Act, any individual who is in the need of a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in or benefit from attendance at a public meeting of the City of Berwyn should contact Thomas J. Pavlik, City Clerk at 708/788-2660 as soon as possible before the meeting date.

Bear

Briefly perusing the packet, two things come to mind here.

Why isn't Main Street administrated by the BDC? The basic
goals of both organizations are one in the same. Why are there two
different admins?

Of much greater concern is the snow plowing contract. Superior clearly
states in the contract that their resources are limited and will require a
24 hour response time. So in the event of a bad azz storm we are left
in the drift? PWD would only be responsible for secondary cleanup, so if there was
a snow emergency PWD would step in to ease the burden until Superior arrives?

That would end up as a double cost to the taxpayer, the cost of the contract plus
the cost of PWD covering Superiors azz till they showed up.

OC has become the expert of spending and wasting other peoples money.

Your money, bend over Berwyn.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

ZORBA

Quote from: Bear on December 06, 2008, 11:01:54 PM
different admins?

Huh?

OakParkSpartan

different admins?

in the drift? PWD would only be responsible for secondary cleanup, so if there was

That would end up as a double cost to the taxpayer, the cost of the contract plus

Their goals are much different, although with the takeover of the board by BDC/DCOB'ers, you can't tell the difference.

Somehow I suspect the way the plowing would work is different than what you laid out.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

ZORBA

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on December 06, 2008, 11:44:33 PM

different admins?

Their goals are much different, although with the takeover of the board by BDC/DCOB'ers, you can't tell the difference.

Somehow I suspect the way the plowing would work is different than what you laid out.

What takeover?

OakParkSpartan

Bernie,

Where did you come up with the 24 hour response time?  At the top of the proposal, it clearly states "Response time for Superior taking 100% ownership of The City of Berwyn is 1 hour".

I see now.  You seem to have ignored the first proposal as I mentioned above and focused upon the proposal where they are used as an "on call basis". 

The later would appear to be as a supplement to PW, which is much different than what you stated.

So the first proposal is where Superior is the primary removal service, with a response time of 1 hour, and the second proposal is where Superior may be called in to supplement PW. 

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Berwyn Patsy

In response to Health Care premiums being picked up by the city after retirement, well
good or bad, right or wrong, it's a great perk that some employers add to their package.
Com Ed is one who also offers this.  My mother worked in a factory for 20 years and when she retired, her Primary
became her secondary with Medicare 1st.  She never paid a dime.  The policy picked up every thing
Medicare did not (including prescription drugs) even hearing devices.  Nice way to go out!
This is a fantastic savings for people on a fixed income.

ZORBA

different admins?

Isn't Main Street derived from a National Historic Trust initiative?

Isn't one of their primary goals to PRESERVE unique and distinct architecture in the context of economic development?

Say like the Berwyn Bank Building?

I'd love to see some of the BDC powers to be supporting HISTORIC PRESERVATION.

THAT I would love to see.

Bear

My mistake Brian, there are two specific contracts. At any, rate a 24hr response time
would bode poorly after a major storm even if it was supplemental work. Plus, I don't
see jobbing snow removal out as a way to save money.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

ZORBA

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on December 07, 2008, 07:59:38 AM
In response to Health Care premiums being picked up by the city after retirement, well
good or bad, right or wrong, it's a great perk that some employers add to their package.
Com Ed is one who also offers this.  My mother worked in a factory for 20 years and when she retired, her Primary
became her secondary with Medicare 1st.  She never paid a dime.  The policy picked up every thing
Medicare did not (including prescription drugs) even hearing devices.  Nice way to go out!
This is a fantastic savings for people on a fixed income.

The City of Berwyn is NOT ComEd.

You're right though, NICE PERK.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Bear on December 07, 2008, 08:04:00 AM
My mistake Brian, there are two specific contracts. At any, rate a 24hr response time
would bode poorly after a major storm even if it was supplemental work. Plus, I don't

Why not?  If the streets are clean, and the cost is less, who cares?  I want the best value for my tax dollar. 

ZORBA

FedUp

Heard at a party last night that a Cicero contracting firm was contracted to plow city hall this winter. I found that kind of odd. I thought pw did this.

ZORBA

Ted

Quote from: FedUp on December 07, 2008, 11:26:24 AM
Heard at a party last night that a Cicero contracting firm was contracted to plow city hall this winter. I found that kind of odd. I thought pw did this.

According to the full packet, the company proposed for the outsourcing of snow plowing is headquartered in New Jersey, not Cicero. 

Here is there URL (sort of a hokey sound on the site) :

http://www.superiorsnowremoval.com

Superior is the name of the company and there are two proposals on the table - one where Superior would be the primary company that does that snow plowing and PW would do the secondary and a second proposal where PW would be the primary and Superior would be the secondary.

I assume the city council could vote to accept or reject either proposal or reject both proposed contracts if they so choose.

Read the Full Packet if you want more information.

Ted

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on December 07, 2008, 10:19:36 AM
Quote from: Bear on December 07, 2008, 08:04:00 AM

Why not?  If the streets are clean, and the cost is less, who cares?  I want the best value for my tax dollar. 
I agree with that.  I can only think that the city is doing this as a cost cutting measure which is absolutely fine with me.  In these economic times they might have to start thinking outside the box to save some $$.  Even the almighty Richie Daley has said that this year in Chicago will be a different picture in terms of snow removal to save money - side streets are going to be fun there.

Putting health insurance out to bid is another no brainer if it's going to save the kind of money they're talking about - again it's called Real World 101 and a step in the right direction.

Ted

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on December 08, 2008, 06:03:08 AM
....  Even the almighty Richie Daley has said that this year in Chicago will be a different picture in terms of snow removal to save money - side streets are going to be fun there.

SIde streets in Chicago are already "fun".  The ones in Garfield Ridge are like skating rinks.

Ted

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Ted on December 08, 2008, 06:18:48 AM
Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on December 08, 2008, 06:03:08 AM
....  Even the almighty Richie Daley has said that this year in Chicago will be a different picture in terms of snow removal to save money - side streets are going to be fun there.

SIde streets in Chicago are already "fun".  The ones in Garfield Ridge are like skating rinks.

Ted
Do they have the "chairs" out yet?  Another fun element of living in the city although it also might be par for the course in congested parts of Berwyn.  Thank god I live on the least parked on street in town I believe.

Ted

Pretty quiet city council meeting tonight.  The only controversial issues were the Skryd grievance and Sunday hours for the library.

1. Skryd grievance - Thomas Skryd, husband of Alderman Michelle Skryd, filed a grievance against the city because he was not promoted. The Fire & Police Committee heard the grievance and the grievance was denied with Aldermen Erickson and Day voting to deny the grievance and Alderman Chapman voting to allow Mr. Skryd to be promoted.

The grievance was appealed to the city council. Alderman Chapman made a motion to promote Mr. Skryd, stating that there was money in the budget for the promotion. Alderman Chapman claimed that the police department was understaffed and alleged that there were policemen who had worked 13 straight days, becoming exhausted and costing the city lots of overtime pay because of the denial of Mr. Skryd's promotion.

The mayor responded that the reason some police officers had had to work overtime was due to 10 police officers taking workman's compensation and not working. That represents 10% of the Berwyn police force, which is why the other 90 police men had been working overtime.

Alderman Phelan made a point of the fact that Mr. Skryd had tried to buy a fake degree. Alderman Phelan stated that in the real world, people who falsified education claims would have faced disciplinary action and would usually be grounds for dismissal.

Alderman Lovero took exception to Alderman Phelan's statements, saying that Phelan's statements were "out of line" and "inappropriate". Lovero made the claim that not promoting Mr. Skryd was "making the streets more dangerous" and parrotted Alderman Chapman's claim that policemen were working too much overtime and costing the city money.

The council then voted on the motion overrule the Fire & Police Committee, not deny the grievance and promote Mr. Skryd.  Chapman and Lovero voted to promote Mr. Skryd. Alderman Skryd abstained. The other 5 alderman voted to deny the grievance and not promote Mr. Skryd.

Alderman Ramos asked what step this was in the grievance process. He was told that Mr. Skryd could now appeal the city council's ruling to an arbitrator.

2. Sunday hours for library - Alderman Chapman made a motion to re-hire library workers who were laid off last summer and have the library open on Sunday. The question was asked how much it would cost to have the library open on Sunday. The response was that it would cost $50,000 to have the library open on Sunday.

The mayor stated that the library was going to have a surplus this year of $21K and that if the workers had not been laid off last summer, the library's finances would be in the red. The mayor asked that the item be deferred for two weeks until the mayor could meet with the library board.

Alderman Chapman insisted that her motion be voted on.  Alderman Chapman then alleged that Michael O'Connor had always been anti-library, even going back to his days as alderman, and alleged that as an alderman, O'Connor had always looked to the library budget as the first place to cut.  Chapman stated that the library had to be open on Sunday as a way of showing that Berwyn was interested in good schools. Chapman stated that O'Connor had treated the library as the city's "red-headed child".

The mayor responded that the library was a separate taxing body and should have a budget in line with its revenue. The mayor asked the library director (who was sitting in the audience) whether the extra $50K was in the 2009 budget to be open on Sunday and whether there was revenue expected in 2009 to make up that $50K additional cost. The answer was no to both questions.

On the vote to re-hire workers and open the library on Sunday, Chapman, Skryd and Lovero voted AYE and Ramos, Weiner, Day, Phelan and Erickson voted NAY.  Phelan and Ramos stated that they were voting NAY because they believed the item should have been deferred for two weeks so that the mayor could meet with the library board on December 15.

3. Budget and appropriation - The council voted to appropriate more funds to certain departments to complete fiscal year 2008. The finance director stated that an ordinance was required to be passed by 2/3 vote to move money around from one department to another. The finance director stated that there were some surpluses in some departments that would be used in the general fund to make up for deficits in other departments. A similar motion was made for appropriating money from the TIF funds, although in the case of the TIF appropriations, the money came from the TIF reserves. Both motions passed by 8 to 0. A motion also passed to hold hearings on the 2009 budget on December 23 at city hall starting at 6 PM.

4. TIF allocations - La Notte, Friendly Tap, Westside Multimedia, Artspace and testing the new garage materials all were voted to get TIF funds. Aldermen Weiner and Erickson voted against money for La Notte and Alderman Erickson made a motion to deny money for Artspace. The motion died for a lack of a second. The Artspace motion passed 7 to 1 with Erickson voting no.  The ground breaking for the new garage will be on Thursday at noon.

5. Other items -
   + Snow plowing contract was sent to COW;

+ The Main Street item was declared as informational;

+ Chapman's item to promote two sergeants was deferred for two weeks;

+ The new members of the Ethics board were approved (they will apparently decide amongst themselves who gets to serve 2 years and who gets to serve 3 years);

+ The developers who want to tear down Marik funeral home must provide a study and the preservation commission must respond on the Marik tear down issue in 30 days;

+ A new firefighter was hired;

+ Sister Cities ordinance was deferred for 2 weeks;

+ Health bid proposals letter was accepted as informational;

+ December city newsletter was approved;

+ An engineering agreement with CDM was approved, There was confusion on this because the original letter made it appear that everything was going to be paid for via grants but it turns out that nothing in the agreement that was voted on would be paid for by grants. Alderman Lovero admonished the director for a misleading letter.

+ A motion by Alderman Skryd on the payables to remove a payable to Folger's Flag was approved. She wants to make sure the city was not over charged.

OakParkSpartan

Phelan was spot on.

And Skryd didn't TRY to buy a degree, he actually did and then tried to pass it off as a legitimate degree.  How many tens of thousands of taxpayer dollars has the Skryd family wasted trying to get this fake degree accepted?

If Lovero had worked in the private sector, he'd understand that Phelan was 100% correct.  Skryd would be shown the door for pulling the stunt he did.