12/9/2008 City Council meeting

Started by Ted, December 06, 2008, 08:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizzo

The questionable degree was rejected by the PD Chief and not counted in Mr. Skryd's promotional exam scores.  It is still a stain on his record and we are not suprised at the councils vote. 

As much as it pains me, Mr Phelans comments were appropriate. 

Bonster

"Alderman Chapman claimed that the police department was understaffed and alleged that there were policemen who had worked 13 straight days, becoming exhausted and costing the city lots of overtime pay because of the denial of Mr. Skryd's promotion."

Granted, I haven't sucked down my morning caffeine, yet, but how does someone not getting a promotion lead to other officers having to work overtime?

Is the Skryd ordeal actually holding up monies set aside to hire more officers, or just a portion of it?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

Quote from: Ted on December 09, 2008, 10:51:54 PM
Alderman Chapman then alleged that Michael O'Connor had always been anti-library, even going back to his days as alderman, and alleged that as an alderman, O'Connor had always looked to the library budget as the first place to cut. 

"Those statements are out of line and inappropriate!" 

QuoteChapman stated that the library had to be open on Sunday as a way of showing that Berwyn was interested in good schools.
LMFAO!
Rather than actually being interested in educational issues, the DCOB would rather give the appearance that Berwyn is interested in good schools.

OakParkSpartan

A couple of things going on there Bon.  1st, there are roughly 10 officers out on disability/injury.  The Sgt's need to supervise the patrolmen, and from the sounds of it we are short handed at Sgt for whatever reason.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Northside7

Precisely why Phelan will get reelected.  He may be controversial and he may say what is on his mind but that is what I like about him.  He says it like it is.  You've got to admit, he is the most colorful individual up there and no, I am not him.

Shelley

I sent an e-mail to Michele Skryd (since I had circulated a petition for her to get the library to reopen on Sundays) asking about this and suggesting an alternative to rehiring the laid-off workers.  I copied Bill Henesley, the Library Director.  Here is the e-mail:

"...Here is a suggestion to preserve the library hours that impact kids and adults the most (evenings and weekends) while considering the necessary service cuts in these tough economic times: Open the library on Sundays from 1-5pmCut morning library hours 2 days per week with a noon-9pm schedule.  I know this would mean rearranging some programming, but I think many less residents will be inconvenienced with a loss of weekday morning service as opposed to Sundays during the school year.  I also realize that library employees' schedules will be changed, but, like I said, my main concern is the children and service to the community."

I received this reply from Bill Henesley:

:...The Board voted last fall, when the staff was cut by 247 hours, to
continue summer hours; to remain closed on Sunday and closing at 5:00 PM
on Friday.  This will continue through the end of December.  These cuts
were in addition to 165 hours lost in 2005.  The Board will decide, at the
December 15 Bord Meeting, scheduling of hours for the new year.  Your
suggestions in the e-mail will be included in the Board packet.  You are
welcome to attend the Board meeting to listen to the Board's discussion.
Bill"

And here is a link to a BerwynCARES blog post about the subject asking anyone interested to send their suggestions/comments to berwyncares@yahoo.com.  I'll forward them on to the Library Director and, hopefully, they will also be included in the Board's packet.  The Library Board and City Council seem to be looking at this in an either/or kind of way.  I'm hoping there is some creative thinking that could keep the library open during the most crucial hours for our students (afternoons, evenings, weekends) without a need to use extra tax dollars.  It seems arbitrary rather than thoughtful to close on Sundays.  Why not Mondays?   http://berwyncares-blog.blogspot.com/

Shelley

Bonster

Quote from: Shelley on December 10, 2008, 10:05:41 AM
"...Here is a suggestion to preserve the library hours that impact kids and adults the most (evenings and weekends) while considering the necessary service cuts in these tough economic times: Open the library on Sundays from 1-5pmCut morning library hours 2 days per week with a noon-9pm schedule.  I know this would mean rearranging some programming, but I think many less residents will be inconvenienced with a loss of weekday morning service as opposed to Sundays during the school year.  I also realize that library employees' schedules will be changed, but, like I said, my main concern is the children and service to the community."

Shelley
yet another example of Berwyn Citizenry seemingly out-thinking our lawyers/leaders.

Quote from: ShellleyIt seems arbitrary rather than thoughtful to close on Sundays.  Why not Mondays?
OT?

OakParkSpartan

The interesting thing about this library director is that for the last 3 years, he's come to council asking for more money, and when asked specifics, HE CAN'T ANSWER.  I'm talking questions like "what will this extra money be spent on".  I'm not impressed at all.

He seems to be a pet of Nona's.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on December 10, 2008, 09:37:37 AM
A couple of things going on there Bon.  1st, there are roughly 10 officers out on disability/injury.  The Sgt's need to supervise the patrolmen, and from the sounds of it we are short handed at Sgt for whatever reason.

So they 10 are down...aside from those absences, correct my logic:

By promoting him we'll have one more supervisor, one less officer on the streets?

Since the budget allotment is for three entities, we'd lose one to a Sgt's position, but gain two -- net effect is adding one officer.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: a delicate flower on December 10, 2008, 10:37:32 AM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on December 10, 2008, 09:37:37 AM

So they 10 are down...aside from those absences, correct my logic:

By promoting him we'll have one more supervisor, one less officer on the streets?

Since the budget allotment is for three entities, we'd lose one to a Sgt's position, but gain two -- net effect is adding one officer.

I'd assume they would then back fill those two positions as well. So ultimately, 2 new Sgt's and 5 new patrolmen.

Ted

Quote from: Northside7 on December 10, 2008, 09:53:53 AM
Precisely why Phelan will get reelected.  He may be controversial and he may say what is on his mind but that is what I like about him.  He says it like it is.  You've got to admit, he is the most colorful individual up there and no, I am not him.

No, most colorful goes to Erickson, hands down; second to Day; third to Chapman and maybe fourth to Phelan.

n01_important

Outsource Snow Removal?  Let's outsource City Council first, that function seems like it will benefit from outsourcing.

5% Tax Increase?  Lunacy.  We should demand a 10% reduction in taxes due to the economy!
Stupid fuck

k6s2zvfw

Quote from: Ted on December 09, 2008, 10:51:54 PM

4. TIF allocations - La Notte, Friendly Tap, Westside Multimedia, Artspace and testing the new garage materials all were voted to get TIF funds. Aldermen Weiner and Erickson voted against money for La Notte and Alderman Erickson made a motion to deny money for Artspace. The motion died for a lack of a second. The Artspace motion passed 7 to 1 with Erickson voting no.  The ground breaking for the new garage will be on Thursday at noon.

mr weiner & mr erickson respectively?

WHY did you vote no on TIF money for Lanotte's ???

sincerely,

mike

OakParkSpartan

Erickson rarely votes yes on TIF monies.

Weiner had questions about how the BDC handles disbursements from the TIF. 

Ted

Well, the city might as well spend that TIF money now because it looks like the guys and gals in Cicero are NOT going to allow the city of Berwyn to extend the TIF districts beyond 2010.

I predict a TIF spending spree next year, at least on Cermak Road.

Ted