News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

cost for new concrete front porch steps

Started by pioneer, January 02, 2009, 10:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pioneer

Happy New Year!

Has anyone recently had their concrete steps totally redone?  I would like to know what the cost is.  Also, can this type of work be done now or does it need to wait for warmer weather?  Steps are leaking through to basement area directly underneath...not sure if they can be patched or need replacing..guess they need to be looked at first..but just wanted to know what to expect as far as cost...

Thanks!

EC

I had 8 steps replaced last year, the old limestone type, with new concrete and it was about $2600 by Andreas. I also had to have some brick work done as well as the steps were place under the bicks and started to come out when they broke the old limestone ones up. Not sure what you have exactly, but you may want to budget about $3000 just in case. As for doing it now, it can be done if everything is covered or tented over, but that will also add more $$$ to the work. Best to wait until early srping, mid March or certainly April.

pioneer

Quote from: EC on January 05, 2009, 07:23:54 AM
I had 8 steps replaced last year, the old limestone type, with new concrete and it was about $2600 by Andreas. I also had to have some brick work done as well as the steps were place under the bicks and started to come out when they broke the old limestone ones up. Not sure what you have exactly, but you may want to budget about $3000 just in case. As for doing it now, it can be done if everything is covered or tented over, but that will also add more $$$ to the work. Best to wait until early srping, mid March or certainly April.

Thanks EC!  I think I have limestone on the tops of the brick on each side of the steps, but the actual steps are concrete.  I have noticed that some bungalows have the limestone looking steps, but I am wondering if they were done after tearing down the original concrete steps?  Usually, they have metal railing instead of brick.

How long did the whole project take to complete, as in for it to dry and be usable.  I agree, it probably would be best to deal with the leaky steps until the weather improves.

Thanks again!

Bonster

Hey pioneer...you mentioned the possibility of just cracked steps needing to be patched...well, two summers ago I received this flyer from a place that does some kind of top cover for your existing stairs, with addresses to verify their work-

"John, The Concrete Step Repair Master," with some references in Berwyn listed...might be worth checking out...

Guests, Click Here.

Click to Enlarge
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

btw, i took estimates to replace my wood frame stairs in front, and my estimates were between 3 & 5K from scratch...(5 steps)

EC

The curing time took about 5 days. Within 5 days concrete attains about 90% of its maximum strength. If you have a traditional bungalow with concrete steps and metal railings, chances are that the traditional limestone and brick sides were replaced with the poured concrete and metal railing construction. Just because the steps are cracked does not necessarily mean that they are concrete though. I have seen cracked steps thinking they were also concrete and much to my amazement they were the limestone slabs. The slabs were put in as the brickwork was set, placing the face brick of the side or railing construction on top of the limestone slabs as the stairs were being constructed upward. That is why the brickwork tends to become detaached when the limestone slabs or stairs are removed.

As for any type of coating that Bonster has forwarded on, that usually works over concrete for a few years then tends to separate and you end up recoating. Over limestone though it just does not seem to obtain a good bond between coating and the stone and then you have a maintenace problem for years to come by having to recoat frequently. Maybe someone has had better luck but I have seen some jobs that looked nice for the first two years and then a total disaster. It usually happens after that freeze thaw cycle.

pioneer

thanks all!

Looks like I will be doing my part to stimulate the local economy this year!   :usa:

Hogzilla

EC, do you have contact info for Andreas? I googled them and can't seem to find anything. We need to replace 5 steps when things thaw.
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

EC

Sorry for the late answer, was out all day yesterday.

Robert Andreas & Sons: (708) 863-5735

J'sMom

Quote from: Bonster on January 05, 2009, 01:27:34 PM
Hey pioneer...you mentioned the possibility of just cracked steps needing to be patched...well, two summers ago I received this flyer from a place that does some kind of top cover for your existing stairs, with addresses to verify their work-

"John, The Concrete Step Repair Master," with some references in Berwyn listed...might be worth checking out...

Guests, Click Here.

Click to Enlarge

I used this guy and don't recommend him.

buzz

Quote from: Roach on February 06, 2009, 07:52:15 AM
"John, The Concrete Step Repair Master,"

Thanks Roach, you may have just saved me some $$$$ and aggravation.  I have his mailer hanging on my fridge.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

BerwynRes99

Quote from: Roach on February 06, 2009, 07:52:15 AM
Quote from: Bonster on January 05, 2009, 01:27:34 PM

Guests, Click Here.

Click to Enlarge

I used this guy and don't recommend him either. The cement washed away after a few storms.

LOL

Is he the one whose most recent flyer was part business/part personal MSF ad? I believe he wants a Polish woman. . .
The word gullible isn't in the dictionary?

Bear

...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

buzz

I had 8 steps replaced last year, the old limestone type, with new concrete and it was about $2600 by Andreas.
I have to ask.  How are they holding up ?
I've seen 2 pours now, both done by Andreas, and they suck.  Both were done in the last 3 yrs.  Not holding up well at all.
I personally hate the pale almost grey color of the cement.  There's no aggregate in it.  Looks like bad sidewalk repair.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Bonster

Quote from: buzz on August 14, 2009, 08:54:53 PM
I personally hate the pale almost grey color of the cement.  There's no aggregate in it.  Looks like bad sidewalk repair.
+1

My sidewalk will be needing replacement very soon...and most new pours are pale as you described.

I had some dude do my garage apron a few years back - holding up great, but it's certainly not what I would want to replace my sidewalk.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Quote from: Bear on April 15, 2009, 01:12:29 PM
We all want Polish women.
+2

Ed Fitzgerald

Check out the driveway at the beige brick ranch house on Harlem, west side of the street, about one block north of White Fence.
They did a half circle with a beige colorized flagstone look.

I'm lovin' it, would be nice for my entry walkway which I was thinking of doing in brick pavers, but this might be mucho cheaper with zero maintenance.

I have to ring the guys doorbell, this is a very unique look.

-EF
The church bell chimed 'til it rang 29 times

maraire

Can't believe I hear somenone saying Andreas work sucks. Its been my experience that they are by far the best around. Quick efficient and back up their work.

I know from experience. They did my foundation, garage pad, apron, and one kickass stamped colored concrete patio.

Wouldn't have trusted it to anyone else.

Highly recommend to all my customers.

If I knew how to post pics I would. Maybe I can get Bonster to do it for me. Bon?

n01_important

Thanks for stating that.  I was misunderstanding

I thought the thread said, "Andreas is very good and Concrete Step Master is bad".
Stupid fuck

Bonster

Quote from: maraire on August 15, 2009, 12:46:25 PM
Can't believe I hear somenone saying Andreas work sucks. Its been my experience that they are by far the best around. Quick efficient and back up their work.

I know from experience. They did my foundation, garage pad, apron, and one kickass stamped colored concrete patio.

Wouldn't have trusted it to anyone else.

Highly recommend to all my customers.

If I knew how to post pics I would. Maybe I can get Bonster to do it for me. Bon?

I saw pics of yours and it looks gorgeous, Marty.