News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Book Donations

Started by Terri, January 02, 2009, 04:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terri

Anyone know if our schools accept donated gently used books?  The books are for ages 5 and up.  If anyone would like them for their children, pm me and I will send you a title list.     

Bear

If no takers, I am sure Filmore could use them.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Bear on January 02, 2009, 04:07:33 PM
If no takers, I am sure Filmore could use them.
The last time I was in Fillmore they didn't carry childrens books.  I would try your local grade school - they might be a welcome addition to their library or some of their classrooms.

Juliet

Little Lambs Preschool will accept book donations for that age, 795-7563.  I also know that Freedom Middle School did a book drive with the Boy Scouts.  What was not kept by Freedom was passed around District 100.  Terri, you can ask Kathy S. about it, she was instrumental in that program.
Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6

teenabeena

I've given several boxes of books to Irving school's librarian in the past.  I tell her to take what she needs for the library & then see if any of the teachers need some for their individual classroom libraries. It's a great way for the schools to expand their selection or replace worn out copies.

Terri

Great suggestions, thanks everyone. 

Juliet,
Forgot about Kathy handling the book drive, I'll contact her.
Thanks!

RockabillyMillie

Speaking of book donations: doesn't anyone else think it would be cool if Berwyn had those boxes on the street corners where people can trade books as they please? The "take a book, leave a book" boxes. I know I've seen them in Logan Square for sure, but they might be all over Chicago. How come we don't have 'em?

Berwyn Patsy

It's probably because no one has ever suggested that idea.  Good one, though.

OakParkSpartan

Neat idea.

Would be good in some of the neighborhoods.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

RockabillyMillie

Yeah, Logan Square also has the same thing for movie boxes, although I've noticed those don't seem to work as well. For some reason people are more generous with books, but with movies, everybody takes but doesn't leave.

So I wonder what the first step would be to getting this kind of thing implemented?

Juliet

My friend Kathy is now the new librarian/media clerk at Pershing.  PM me if you have a donation for K-5 books and I'll pass it on to her.
Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6

Berwyn Library

The Berwyn Public Library is a great place to donate gently used books for all ages.
What we can't use to supplement our own collection, or bundle together to pass along to the schools (!), we add to the used book sale run by the Friends of the Library.
Consider the library when you're weeding out your own collection - the entire community profits, and we'll even happily write you a letter thanking you for your donation, which you can then use to claim a charitable donation on your tax return.