1/27/2009 City Council meeting

Started by Ted, January 24, 2009, 06:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

Here is the agenda for the 1/27/2009 city council meeting.  It looks like the new parking garage is not getting off to a good start (E3); the mayor states that the sergeant promotions will cost the city $26,000 (F3) (not $3,000 as Alderman Chapman claimed); The Children's School of Oak Park (located at St. Mary of Celle) wants to expand to be K-8 but the city denied a request for mobile units (Item I1); The mayor presents evidence to Alderman Chapman that he has reduced the cost of vehicle stickers (Item J6); and the city wants plans for the Maple Pool (Item F1)

BERWYN CITY COUNCIL MEETING

JANUARY 27, 2009

DEAR ATTENDEE.....THE MAYOR AND CITY COUNCIL WELCOME YOU. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS IS A MEETING OF THE MAYOR AND COUNCIL MEMBERS AS OPPOSED TO A PUBLIC HEARING WHERE ATTENDEES ARE ENCOURAGED TO PARTICIPATE. UNLESS INVITED BY THE MAYOR TO SPEAK, YOU ARE REQUESTED NOT TO INTERRUPT. IF YOU ARE RECOGNIZED BY THE MAYOR, PLEASE PREFACE YOUR REMARKS BY STATING YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS FOR THE RECORD. THANK YOU.

MICHAEL A. O'CONNOR                                                                  THOMAS J. PAVLIK
MAYOR                                                                                              CITY CLERK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AGENDA
ROLL CALL
(A) PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE - MOMENT OF SILENCE

(B) OPEN FORUM - (TOPIC MUST NOT BE ON THE AGENDA)

(C) PRESENTATION OF PREVIOUS MEETINGS MINUTES FOR APPROVAL
1. REG-1/13/09-COW-1/13/09

(D) BID OPENING - TABULATIONS

(E) BERWYN DEVELOPMENT CORP.-BERWYN TOWNSHIP/HEALTH DISTRICT
1. BDC DIR-REPLACEMENT OF CERMAK CLOCK
2. BDC DIR-REQ APPROVAL FOR 2009 ANNUAL EVENTS
3. BDC DIR-PARKING STRUCTURE-CAISSON RELATED CHANGE ORDER
4. BDC DIR-WIRELESS NETWORK LINK-PARKING STRUCTURE

(F) REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE MAYOR
1. MAYOR-REQ- FOR FUNDING OF ARCHITECT & PLANS FOR MAPLE POOL
2. MAYOR-RED SPEED CAMERAS
3. MAYOR-POLICE SERGEANT PROMOTION
4. MAYOR-SNOW REMOVAL PROCESS

(G) REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE CITY CLERK

(H) COMMUNICATIONS FROM ( ZONING) BOARD OF APPEALS
1. ZBA-ORD/RESL-VARAIATION-T-MOBILE CENTRAL LLC-6940 W. OGDEN AVE.

(I) REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS FROM ALDERMEN, COMMITTEES OTHER BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
1. ERICKSON-TEMPORY BUILDING AT ST. MARY'S
2. BERWYN HISTORIC PRES COMM-BUDGET LINE ITEM REQUEST
3. WEINER-AT &T BOXES
4. CHAPMAN-3600 BLK OF WENONAH AVE-EXTEND"RES PKNG ONLY" HRS
5. CHAPMAN-3300 BLK OF GROVE AVE-REQ-SUPERZONE"PERMIT PKNG ONLY"
6. CHAPMAN-WINDSON AVE-CONFLICTING SINAGE PROBLEMS VS OUR WRITTEN ORDINANCES

(J) STAFF REPORTS
1. DEFER-BUILDING DIRECTOR-DISPOSAL OF TWO INSPECTOR VEHCICLES
2. TRAFFIC ENG-PARKING IN THE STANLEY-WINDSOR AVE AREA
3. DEPUTY FIRE CHIEF-CHANGE ORDERS TO 16TH STREET FIREHOUSE CONST.
4. POLICE CHIEF-REQ-APPR FOR HIRING ONE OFFICER FROM LATERAL ENTRY POOL
5. FINANCE DIR/BUDGET CHRMN-PAYABLES-1-7-09-$757,039.84 (NOTE: A separate payable report and total from the New World System may be available under separate cover prior to meeting for consideration and approval.)
6. COLLECTOR-COST OF VEHICLE STICKERS
7. COLLECTOR-COST OF BUSINESS LICENSE SEALS
8. LAW DEPT-ORD-REDEVELOPMENT AGRMNT -6801-6821 W CERMAK
9. LAW DEPT-ORD-AMENDING & RESTATED REDEVELOPMENT AGREEMENT-6801-6821 W CERMAK
10. LAW DEPT-ORD-HARLEM METRA STATION SUBLEASE AGREEMENT-FIRST AMENDMENT
11. LAW DEPT-ORD-HARLEM METRA STATION SUBLEASE AGREEMENT-ASSIGNMENT TO HARLEM EXPRESSO, L.L.C.

(K) CONSENT AGENDA: ALL ITEMS ON THE CONSENT AGENDA ARE CONSIDERED TO BE ROUTINE IN NATURE AND WILL BE ENACTED IN ONE MOTION. THERE WILL BE NO SEPARATE DISCUSSION OF THESE ITEMS UNLESS A COUNCIL MEMBER SO REQUESTS, IN WHICH EVENT THE ITEM WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE CONSENT AGENDA AND ONSIDERED AS THE FIRST ITEM AFTER APPROVAL OF THE CONSENT AGENDA
1. BUDGET CHAIRMAN-PAYROLL-1/21/09-$933,842.33
2. COLLECTOR-LICENSES ISSUED FOR THE MONTH OF DECEMBER, 2008
3. WEINER-HANDICAP SIGN-IGNACIO MORALES -6915 W. 29TH PLACE-APPROVE
4. PHELAN-HANDICAP SIGN-CINDY CAPUTO-1929 S EAST AVE-APPROVE
5. LOVERO-HANDICAP SIGN-MARIA MIRANDA-1628 S. GROVE AVE-APPROVE
6. SOUTH BERWYN ED FOUNDATION-3RD ANNUAL KELLY MILLER CIRCUS-9/9/09
ITEMS SUBMITTED ON TIME _33_
In accordance with the provisions of the Americans with disabilities Act, any individual who is in the need of a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in or benefit from attendance at a public meeting of the City of Berwyn should contact Thomas J. Pavlik, City Clerk at 708/788-2660 as soon as possible before the meeting date.

n01_important

Reading through the packet, a few comments:

• Officer promotions - is it wise to increase salaries and promote to new positions when budgets are so tight?  I'm not against filling in open positions but it seems these are new positions.
  • Snow removal - a new plan for snow > 2 inches.  First, how much more will this cost?  Second, isn't 2 inches a bit low.  I can understand 1-2 feet of snow as an emergency but 2 inches?!  Get real people, winters have snow, wake up 15 minutes earlier to account for a longer commute and expect a few days of snow everywhere after a storm.  We need to save money, not waste it.
  • B Historical Society - I agree with the need for funding but I would challenge them to find sponsor for items such as supplies, conferences and website.  We should pay for survey as long as they can show the price is fair.
  • City vehicle - I occasionally see City cards parked in front of homes.  I usually pass it off as being "Official City Business" except sometimes, the vehicles are parked all night long.  They must be working overtime.  Does the city allow these vehicles to be used for personal business?  Do we pay for the gas too?
Stupid fuck

OakParkSpartan

I don't see anything on the agenda about the Berwyn Historical Society.  You are confusing a private organization with a city commission. 
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

tony la

I think only department heads can take home the vehicle.  Which stands to reason that they may have a call in the middle of the night.  But anyway, get a number and make sure.
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

n01_important

Doing that would make be a boat rocker and given this small town, subject to retaliation.  I will settle for making broad generalizations.
Stupid fuck

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: tony la on January 26, 2009, 04:28:49 PM
I think only department heads can take home the vehicle.  Which stands to reason that they may have a call in the middle of the night.  But anyway, get a number and make sure.
Personally, I know someone who works for the city and has been told they can utilize one of the CSO vehicles as of 2 months ago but has not been able to use a city vehicle yet because of economics.

Rizzo

Quote from: n01_important on January 25, 2009, 11:42:25 PM
Reading through the packet, a few comments:

• Officer promotions - is it wise to increase salaries and promote to new positions when budgets are so tight?  I'm not against filling in open positions but it seems these are new positions.
  • Snow removal - a new plan for snow > 2 inches.  First, how much more will this cost?  Second, isn't 2 inches a bit low.  I can understand 1-2 feet of snow as an emergency but 2 inches?!  Get real people, winters have snow, wake up 15 minutes earlier to account for a longer commute and expect a few days of snow everywhere after a storm.  We need to save money, not waste it.
  • B Historical Society - I agree with the need for funding but I would challenge them to find sponsor for items such as supplies, conferences and website.  We should pay for survey as long as they can show the price is fair.
  • City vehicle - I occasionally see City cards parked in front of homes.  I usually pass it off as being "Official City Business" except sometimes, the vehicles are parked all night long.  They must be working overtime.  Does the city allow these vehicles to be used for personal business?  Do we pay for the gas too?

The chief of police is not a Berwyn resident.  He probably takes the city vehicle home.  Ring him up at work and ask about your fuel concerns.

n01_important

Stupid fuck

FedUp

Tell us about the fireman who spoke during open forum

delbowz

Quote from: FedUp on January 28, 2009, 07:38:27 AM

So, if you know a fireman spoke during open forum, either you were there - or you've already heard about it.  Why don't you fill everyone in?
Life is too important to be taken seriously. - Oscar Wilde

FedUp

Quote from: delbowz on January 28, 2009, 07:59:34 AM
Quote from: FedUp on January 28, 2009, 07:38:27 AM

So, if you know a fireman spoke during open forum, either you were there - or you've already heard about it.  Why don't you fill everyone in?

Because the way things are going on this board if you are not a principal in whatever you state it is declared as hearsay. Besides Ted seems to do an excelent job of reporting. BTW weren't you there

delbowz

I was there, but I wasn't taking notes, and I don't feel comfortable 'recapping' based on my memory only and not written notes.  I know that my memory is pre-disposed w/ my personal feelings on the issue(s) and in no way would it be a fact-based recap.

I did not see Ted at the meeting, so if you're waiting for a recap from him, you'll probably be waiting for a LONG time.

OakParkSpartan

The fireman who previously had been anonymous got up and felt that the mayor insulted him, his dead father and his mother and all his firefighter brothers.  It was quite the speech.

The mayor then asked him several questions.  Is he permanently injured? NO.  Will you be able to to return to work?  YES.  Will you be able to perform your job when you return?  YES.  Are all your medical bills being covered by the city?  YES.  Has he lost any pay? YES.  The mayor stated he had checked with HR and Finance, and he had continued to be paid his base salary.  Your base pay? NO.  Apparently he gets overtime on a regular basis and feels because he is not getting the overtime he deserved to be compensated and filed the workmans comp claim. Sorry, but that is BS.

The firefighter stated he performed a public service.  The mayor made the point that if you were truly in it for public service, you would not be filing a claim to get money out of the city.

He also was using lots of words like defame, sounding like he'd been reading Slinkman vs Bear.  He had a DVD/CD with the mayor's comments about an anonymous fireman.  Felix was there video taping it all, so maybe he could give a verbatim transcription if the above is wrong.

The most interesting item that came out of the exchange?  Guess how much the city has paid out in Workman's Comp claims over the last 4 years?  $4 MILLION.  And we currently have $2 MILLION sitting in reserve to cover pending claims.  $1.5 Million in Workman's comp claims per year on average.

For each Workman's Comp claim filed, the cost to the city is $750 to just open the file.

Superblock will be moving forward.  The vacant land will be used for a medical facility.  Good to see a compromise worked out that puts the land to use and brings a new business to town.

Alderman Chapman's inquiry into the cost of parking stickers seemed to reveal that no money can be saved.  Ald. Phelan pointed out that more money was wasted compiling this report than could be saved in several years.  Ald. Chapman didn't seem to understand that black and white were two colors, not one. 

Ald Chapman also thought it crazy to get rid of a couple of 14 year old cars.  Rather that we should keep repairing them.

Meeting was over around 9, then they went back into closed.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

ZORBA

Overtime pay?

Un frickin believable.

Btw, what's the point in videotaping city council meetings? I never have understood that.

If I'm a firefighter, the last thing in the world I want to do is videotape another firefighter claiming he filed a comp claim because he's not getting overtime.

Rizzo

So, the speech given by the injured ff was delivered in good fashion.   

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: ZORBA on January 28, 2009, 09:10:12 AM
Overtime pay?

Un frickin believable.

Btw, what's the point in videotaping city council meetings? I never have understood that.

If I'm a firefighter, the last thing in the world I want to do is videotape another firefighter claiming he filed a comp claim because he's not getting overtime.

The word he used wasn't overtime.  It was something beyond his base pay.  I used overtime to differentiate between base and non-base pay.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Rizzo on January 28, 2009, 09:22:13 AM
So, the speech given by the injured ff was delivered in good fashion.   
Sounds to me more like a diatribe against the city and OC because he's pissed he's not getting his extra pay.  Let's see - he's not permanently injured, his medical bills are covered and he's receiving his base pay until he goes back.  And who's to say he would be receiving OT if he was working.  Is it guaranteed?  He'll have a very hard time finding support among your average Berwyn resident in this economy.

delbowz

I believe he used "class differential" or something along those lines.

He basically got up and asked the mayor to apologize for saying he was suing the city, b/c he isn't suing.  OC then asked his questions, which get another point across.  OC didn't apologize....

I think it's interesting to see the workmans comp claim totals - but you have to remember, these are FIREFIGHTERS and POLICE MEN.  not exactly the safest jobs in the world.  It would have been more effecitve if OC would have said, we have spent $X in claims from the fire department over this amount of time... and other municipalities with similar size communities have spent $Y.  Then we'd see if it's truly out of whack.  (how many workmans comp claims are from city hall employees, pw? )
I know OC is looking out for the taxpayers in trying to stem the flow of funds to workmans comp - but singling someone out  - to make an example of ONE person from ONE department isn't right.  It's like a teacher who gives the whole class a detention b/c one child misbehaves. This may not have been his best campaign move.  That's just my opinon.  

n01_important

I agree on the comments of the ff, he's lucky he's getting base pay.  Most of us get only worker's comp if we get injured.

More importantly, it seems that some of the items for discussion could take place outside of the city council meeting.  Do we really need the entire city present to debate if it's more economical to fix the car or get a new one?!

No wonder things are so screwed up!  If you spend more of your time bickering the small stuff, there is no time to discuss the big stuff.
Stupid fuck

OakParkSpartan

Those workman's comp claims were for all employees, not just the BPD and BFD.   I'd be curious to see the breakdown between various departments.  I'd think PD, FD and PW would have the largest number of claims, due to the physical nature of the work they do.