Mold removal on bathroom walls after wallpaper was removed

Started by catspajamas, November 05, 2012, 01:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catspajamas

Hi friends,
I decided to take the wallpaper off the bathroom walls above the tile. I have hundreds of black blotches ... mold! There is also a lot of flakey wall paper glue. I decided to have the mold professionally removed. Any recommendations for mold removal companies?

Acorn

For the surface mold, a mixture of bleach and water will solve your problem and save you a ton of money. For the flakey wallpaper, a mixture of 1 part hot water and 1 part fabric softener works great and leaves your bathroom smelling great!

bigolo

Save yourself a ton of money and buy a good respirator and remove the material yourself. If you are concerned about proper disposal, just bury the shit in the yard! You'll save a few G's! Yeah, you owe me a beer! lol...

buzz

Quote from: Acorn on November 05, 2012, 06:19:31 AM
For the surface mold, a mixture of bleach and water will solve your problem and save you a ton of money. For the flakey wallpaper, a mixture of 1 part hot water and 1 part fabric softener works great and leaves your bathroom smelling great!
+1
worked for me.......then I used some BIX (?) to seal/prep the walls
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Bonster

Agreed.  Mold isn't dangerous in the same way asbestos is.  From what I understand it's more of a problem with prolonged exposure and removing surface mold should not pose an immediate health threat.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

berwynson

Quote from: B o n s t e r on November 05, 2012, 09:41:55 AM
Agreed.  Mold isn't dangerous in the same way asbestos is.  From what I understand it's more of a problem with prolonged exposure and removing surface mold should not pose an immediate health threat.

Generally, true. However, various molds have been found to invade the lungs successfully, establishing colonies which in some cases proves to be a serious hazard to the individual's health. Aspergillus, for example, a mold found in abundance in soil, blows in the wind, and has been responsible for much illness worldwide. Aspergillosis, the condition name of invasion of the human body by the mold, has occasionally caused death via the mold spreading beyond the lungs to various other organs. Not common, but it DOES happen, suggesting it is not judicious to sell mold of any kind short......  (except the yeast used to brew beer!!).  berwynson

buzz

Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Bonster

Quote from: berwynson on November 05, 2012, 04:01:53 PM

Generally, true. However, various molds have been found to invade the lungs successfully, establishing colonies which in some cases proves to be a serious hazard to the individual's health. Aspergillus, for example, a mold found in abundance in soil, blows in the wind, and has been responsible for much illness worldwide. Aspergillosis, the condition name of invasion of the human body by the mold, has occasionally caused death via the mold spreading beyond the lungs to various other organs. Not common, but it DOES happen, suggesting it is not judicious to sell mold of any kind short......  (except the yeast used to brew beer!!).  berwynson

Not selling it short; my 2nd sentence qualifies the first, and it applies to aspergillosis, too.   With asbestos all it takes is one spec, less than a micron in size to lodge itself in one's lungs, and depending on the individual they can develop asbestosis and beyond.  With fungi it's a combination of amount + time + condition.  If cats has AIDS, I would advise against cleaning it himself.

catspajamas

Quote from: bigolo on November 05, 2012, 07:18:52 AM
Save yourself a ton of money and buy a good respirator and remove the material yourself. If you are concerned about proper disposal, just bury the shit in the yard! You'll save a few G's! Yeah, you owe me a beer! lol...

Wow, a few Gs. I have some folks coming today to give me a free evaluation and estimate. If the estimate is going to be in the thousands I really do owe you a beer.

catspajamas

Quote from: B o n s t e r on November 05, 2012, 04:53:03 PM
Quote from: berwynson on November 05, 2012, 04:01:53 PM

Not selling it short; my 2nd sentence qualifies the first, and it applies to aspergillosis, too.   With asbestos all it takes is one spec, less than a micron in size to lodge itself in one's lungs, and depending on the individual they can develop asbestosis and beyond.  With fungi it's a combination of amount + time + condition.  If cats has AIDS, I would advise against cleaning it himself.
I am happily healthy with no immunodeficiency. I am a senior citizen with seasonal sensitivities to leaf mold and dust and just lazy enough to want to see if someone else will remove it for me at a reasonable cost.
I think I will end up doing it myself because it sounds like the cost will not be reasonable.

catspajamas

Quote from: Acorn on November 05, 2012, 06:19:31 AM
Thanks for the recipes for remediation. If I do it myself this sounds like a great combo.

berwynson

Quote from: catspajamas on November 06, 2012, 09:14:32 AM

I am happily healthy with no immunodeficiency. I am a senior citizen with seasonal sensitivities to leaf mold and dust and just lazy enough to want to see if someone else will remove it for me at a reasonable cost.
I think I will end up doing it myself because it sounds like the cost will not be reasonable.

I, too, am a senior....6 years ago I experienced a long-term bout of respiratory difficulty, having never before in my then 64 years existence had any sort of breathing problem. I have never once touched a cigarette to my lips. 5 doctors then failed to accurately diagnose. Using breathing-aids (inhalers) I gradually overcame it and recovered completely, no further symptoms. A doctor I knew earlier, while living in Phoenix, after reviewing the history of it as I told it to him, suggested it strongly sounded to him like aspergillosis. This occurred in the Missouri Ozarks, where mold counts run at times to astronomical highs, hitting 200,000 spores per cubic meter of air, or higher.    berwynson

Bonster

Quote from: berwynson on November 06, 2012, 04:37:29 PMI have never once touched a cigarette to my lips.
Never??!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

berwynson

Quote from: B o n s t e r on November 06, 2012, 07:19:14 PM
Quote from: berwynson on November 06, 2012, 04:37:29 PMI have never once touched a cigarette to my lips.
Never??!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Does does seem so impossible, as to make you incredulous? It's the truth, ask berwyn senator, who smoked when we palled around. He might recall that once, only once, during a hot poker game in our kitchen, I lit up a "Tiparillo", think they were called, little cigar I had bought a pack, to shock them all, puffed some smoke into my mouth, that's as far as it got.

UGH!

berwynson

catspajamas

Well, I had 4 guys come to give me estimates. I asked 2 of them for a ballpark range. They both said they had to remove all the wallboard (actually plaster on lath) and it would be in the  $1500 range. The 4th guy gave me a quote on the spot of $2800. When I told him I had a quote for $1775 or so, he said he would do it for $1750. The 2nd guy gave me an email quote of $1775. I just got a quote from the 3rd guy who said he could do it without removing the plaster for $930 since I said I was on a budget. He would take 2 days and would end the job with the walls painted whatever color I wanted after cleaning and sealing. The 1st guy hasn't come back yet with a quote but he was the only one who said it could be done without removing the plaster but I would have to sign a waiver on guaranteeing the mold would not come back.

Not that I doubted you, Bigolo, when you said it would cost a lot.

berwyn senator

I my memory is correct Berwynson would call cigarettes pieces of shredded shit,and used to bitch when we lit one up.I quit smoking in my early 20's,now when with the boys I will have a larger piece of shredded shit,a cigar.But they are purchased out of state to avoid paying Illinois taxes.Living in our area one never knows what the hell is in the air,shit still stinks from the sanitary district especially along Rt. 55.When returning from up north you can actually see the cloud of pollution over the Chicago area not much has changed.When I return it takes awhile to get used to the crap in our air,so I don't stay very long!!!