tuckpointing revisited?? for real this time.. I gotta get it done :P

Started by Guy_on_Clinton, February 11, 2009, 12:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redv10

Thats too bad you could get Krivak to do the job,you wouldnt be sorry.I had heard nothing but raves on his work,so I called him.He looked at my house after 2 other estimates.1 guy told me 3k,the other 7k...quite a big differance.Tony said save your money,you're good for another 15 or 20 years. And FYI...most of his advertising is by word of mouth. He really is a top notch guy. And no I am not related to him.

Sandy

What does that say about our wonderful building department?
"Modern cynics and skeptics see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing."
John F. Kennedy

catspajamas

I checked out this site to see who was recommended and went with Riteway. They did a great job very reasonably. The workers are very skilled. The owners delivered on what they promised but there were management issues that made me wonder before the work started. So don't let "Rick, the butcher" scare you if you are considering using them. They are not great clerically but have excellent craftsman working for them. They did the job within a week of when I signed the contract and I had my balusters partially rebuilt, mortar ground out and fully tuck-pointed and limestone caps power washed. They started on Friday and finished the caulking along the steps on Monday. I would highly recommend them.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: catspajamas on April 11, 2012, 06:15:32 PM
I checked out this site to see who was recommended and went with Riteway. They did a great job very reasonably. The workers are very skilled. The owners delivered on what they promised but there were management issues that made me wonder before the work started. So don't let "Rick, the butcher" scare you if you are considering using them. They are not great clerically but have excellent craftsman working for them. They did the job within a week of when I signed the contract and I had my balusters partially rebuilt, mortar ground out and fully tuck-pointed and limestone caps power washed. They started on Friday and finished the caulking along the steps on Monday. I would highly recommend them.

Do you happen to live on Oak Park Ave?  I stopped by and talked with Rick and John last Friday at a job they were working.

Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

scottymac

"Rick the Butcher"? I'm a few credit hours short of my J.D., but that sounds borderline actionable to me.

I worked for Ricky and Johnny when they started their company 20 years ago. I labored for them as I was searching in vain for an accounting job that I thought I was entitled to since I just graduated from De Paul U.

These guys probably taught me more about business and customer relations than any of my textbooks did. And at the same time taught me how to tuckpoint and lay brick. You know why they took time to teach me? Despite the fact that they knew I would probably not be around too long? Because they care about their craft and they love to impart their knowledge on others. Even though I was just "mixing mud" and cleaning up the jobsite, they wanted us to know here/why/how we're doing this. Not just "shovel that crap up". They were/are leaders and pros. I can still 'point common brick and plaster pretty well even now.

Yes, I'm obviously biased. I know these guys, as well as some of their current employees, to this day. I have recommended them to my friends, neighbors, anyone.

When I was an employee, and on the rare occasion that something wasn't up to the client's satisfaction, Ricky was either on his way there the next morning, or had us running out there to fix the (minor) problem immediately.

I can go on when Johnny had me hold him with a rope so he could hang off a chimney to point the top outside coarse of a chimney.

These guys are pros.   

berwynguy

For the record I don't think Rick is a "butcher," I was just not able to clarify my comment.  That was the characterization of some of his methods that was made by another contractor when I described what Rick's process was as quoted to me.  That contractor is basically an artist and felt that "grinding" out mortar joints using the same size bit when there are different size gaps in the mortar joints results in butchering bricks by trimming down the edges of those bricks.  I feel that Rick is good for certain jobs just like the artist I describe is better for others.  For example, Rick's work on the Berwyn Historical Society building at 1401 S. Grove was very good for what he had to work with.  That building had a very shoddy "tuck pointing" job that was done by an amateur at some point where the mortar was just slapped over the edges of the bricks.  In that case grinding was absolutely necessary in my opinion. 

As far as my job is concerned, it's finished and the result is stunning in my opinion.  I don't feel like writing a novel detailing the process so I will quickly sum it up.  I went with Stanislaw Guzik who basically blew away and exceeded my expectations which is VERY hard to do, trust me.  For the record, he was ONE THIRD the price of Crafton.  If you want your job done RIGHT by people that are old world European craftsman and are not holding you up with a gun on the price, call Stanislaw Guzik at 708-415-6007.  Stop by and check my house out in person because the pictures do NOT do it justice in my opinion.  I am not kidding, I can't count the compliments by neighbors, passers by, etc., since this job has been done.  Here are a few before and after shots.

(The photos are pretty large but you can click on them to enlarge)

Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

Robert Pauly

berwynguy

After Guzik started the job I found out that he did two other houses on my block.  The addresses of those houses are 6940 and 6948 W. 30th Place.  You can check those out as well.  What really sold me is when he gave me two other addresses of buildings that he did.  Those were the two buildings that were rehabbed and converted into condos by Mike Adams several years back, both of which were discussed on BTF.  The one is the large apartment building at the SW corner of 32nd & Harlem and the other is the large building on the north side of the 6700 block of W. 21st St.  The latter is the one where they cut down some trees to make diagonal parking which was controversial at the time. 

berwynguy

Quote from: Robert Pauly on April 26, 2012, 02:45:35 PM
Placed an offer on your house back in 2002.

Probably for a LOT less then what I bought it for.......uhhhgggg.... :-\

Robert Pauly

berwynguy

Quote from: Robert Pauly on April 26, 2012, 03:10:48 PM
I think it was in the $225 range.

You ended up with a GREAT place.  Mine ain't so bad either, just paid to much is all.  Oh well.  The more I do to improve it the better I like it.  It's a great location and I have great neighbors. 

Robert Pauly

Your house was more finished than mine, and was closer to Emerson - it was the nicest bungalow we had seen to that point.  I think it sold to a nice couple from Minnesota - he might have been a teacher - they had a Golden Retriever.

berwynguy

Quote from: Robert Pauly on April 26, 2012, 03:20:32 PM
Your house was more finished than mine, and was closer to Emerson - it was the nicest bungalow we had seen to that point.  I think it sold to a nice couple from Minnesota - he might have been a teacher - they had a Golden Retriever.

You are absolutely right about the previous owners.  She was an administrator at U of I which is why they had to move.

I did more things to improve this house since I got it then I can count.  What initially sold me was the original features such as windows, woodwork, built ins, unique textured plaster walls and coved dining room ceiling, most of which I have either restored or cleaned up pretty nicely.  The other huge selling feature was the proximity to Proksa Park. 

berwynguy

Quote from: berwynguy on April 26, 2012, 02:54:14 PM
After Guzik started the job I found out that he did two other houses on my block.  The addresses of those houses are 6940 and 6948 W. 30th Place.  You can check those out as well.  What really sold me is when he gave me two other addresses of buildings that he did.  Those were the two buildings that were rehabbed and converted into condos by Mike Adams several years back, both of which were discussed on BTF.  The one is the large apartment building at the SW corner of 32nd & Harlem and the other is the large building on the north side of the 6700 block of W. 21st St.  The latter is the one where they cut down some trees to make diagonal parking which was controversial at the time.

I need to make a correction here.  The building that Guzik did on 32nd & Harlem was the one on the S.E. corner.  The building on the Berwyn side. 

catspajamas

"Do you happen to live on Oak Park Ave?  I stopped by and talked with Rick and John last Friday at a job they were working.

Brian"

Hi Brian, Yes I live on Oak Park Ave. That was probably my house you saw them at. 2600 block. My tuckpointing came out great.

catspajamas

Dear Berwynguy, Sorry for the misrepresentation:

"So don't let "Rick, the butcher" scare you if you are considering using them."

When I used this term for Rick, I was replying to the post just above mine. It doesn't seem to be there anymore and I do not think Rick is a butcher. I had a little trouble with wrong contract delivery, recommendations of past jobs with wrong addresses. No deposit required on jobs in my cost range per contract requiring a deposit. Just stuff to make you wonder. But what I hoped to be saying was these guys were great and I would use them again and highly recommend them. Sorry if it was misunderstood. I'm glad you found them decent to work for.

MindoverMatter

Quote from: berwynguy on April 26, 2012, 02:42:16 PM
For the record I don't think Rick is a "butcher," I was just not able to clarify my comment.  That was the characterization of some of his methods that was made by another contractor when I described what Rick's process was as quoted to me.  That contractor is basically an artist and felt that "grinding" out mortar joints using the same size bit when there are different size gaps in the mortar joints results in butchering bricks by trimming down the edges of those bricks.  I feel that Rick is good for certain jobs just like the artist I describe is better for others.  For example, Rick's work on the Berwyn Historical Society building at 1401 S. Grove was very good for what he had to work with.  That building had a very shoddy "tuck pointing" job that was done by an amateur at some point where the mortar was just slapped over the edges of the bricks.  In that case grinding was absolutely necessary in my opinion. 

As far as my job is concerned, it's finished and the result is stunning in my opinion.  I don't feel like writing a novel detailing the process so I will quickly sum it up.  I went with Stanislaw Guzik who basically blew away and exceeded my expectations which is VERY hard to do, trust me.  For the record, he was ONE THIRD the price of Crafton.  If you want your job done RIGHT by people that are old world European craftsman and are not holding you up with a gun on the price, call Stanislaw Guzik at 708-415-6007.  Stop by and check my house out in person because the pictures do NOT do it justice in my opinion.  I am not kidding, I can't count the compliments by neighbors, passers by, etc., since this job has been done.  Here are a few before and after shots.

Your house looks great!  How much did they end up charging you?  I need some work done.

berwynguy

catspajamas

Quote from: berwynguy on April 26, 2012, 02:42:16 PM

How did they get the paint off the limestone? I have been working on mine for years and it still looks really bad. Did they break down the price? How much for the limestone stripping, please?

OakParkSpartan

Due to his bad behavior, and repeated requests to change it, berwynguy cannot reply as he has been banned.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato