News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Cars on the Spindle In Cermak Plaza Lot

Started by Juliet, May 01, 2005, 09:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juliet

We stopped in the dollar store today in Cermak Plaza, and I looked at that eyesore that masquerade known as "art", Cars on the Spindle, as I parked my van.  That piece is filled with pigeon poop and who knows what else is growing and probably spreading disease there.

Is anyone a fan of this piece, and why is it still there after all these years?  I think it's a germ filled embarassment to Berwyn.

What do you think?
Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6

pkd50

I think the problem with the piece is that nobody takes care of the thing.  If it was cleaned on a regular basis it would be OK.

Bru67

As much as it's hated, it is an attraction, and I suppose it doesn't hurt the city's reputation like some of its other attractions -- like the former Democratic Machine, child molesters, and ex-Public Safety Director who goes on violent drunken rampages from time to time, for example.  Personally, I can't stand the thing but people come to Berwyn to see it so there you go.  I fully concur in the idea that we should at least clean it frequently if it's going to be there.  I'd clean it 3-4 times a year.  I'd also be more apt to tolerate it if Cermak Plaza were renovated around it and got some better retail stores. 

pkd50

Suedehead

I say clean the art up, there's nothing wrong with it except it's dirty. It is (like it or not) a symbol of Berwyn, let's not forget the cameo it had in the movie Wayne's World.

java

When the Marzullos plea bargain out of their felonies, perhaps 100 hours of community service in the form of cleaning the pigeon poop off the sword of cars could be an option.  Jerry has experience with a hose, being a former firefighter...
The City of Homers

pkd50

That's funny!   Let's keep kicking when their down.  It a nice quality in a person.

OakParkSpartan

When you suckle at the teat of public funds for 30 years, and screw people like they have, do you REALLY think people won't be happy to see them get punished?

I am no longer shocked that older residents of Berwyn seem to think the way this town was run is somehow "Normal". 

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

pkd50

OakParkSpartan

Older == long term. Not referring to age.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

jqpublic

The really sad thing is you can now see the droppings from all the way up on the main walkway through the plaza. It is disgusting. Used to be you had to get up close to see how bad it was.

Think of how stupid the average person is and realize half of them are stupider than that.

ruffian

OakParkSpartan ... older residents didn't think it was normal.   

T-Stan RPCV

Fun diseases associated with high or repeat exposure to pigeon shit.  I wouldnt want to be the person cleaning those cars.

Histoplasmosis (Pigeons are on of the primary culprits for this disease):
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/histoplasmosis_g.htm

Hypersensitivity pneumonitis (a common form - AKA: Pigeon Breeders Lung):
http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic2577.htm

Ana

I don't think it's pigeon poop, I think it is seagull poop and the seagulls are not here because there is water nearby, they are here because the eating is good.  The dumpsters around the plaza must be filled to capacity.  The plaza itself needs to be cleaned up in more ways than one.   >:(
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby