News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Basement Ideas

Started by Guy_on_Clinton, December 18, 2007, 07:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guy_on_Clinton

Thinking of a basement remodel...

please post ideas, and issues you had to address... and pics if you have em.

note: more interested in configuration of space...   not who to call

we have pretty much a blank space.. was playing around with an old version of visio.. so i'll add a layout... thanks in advance  ;D

SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

Bonster

5 strippers' poles!  Awesome.  This should be fun.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bear

The neatest new idea I saw was Bru's basement, (I think). I saw pics of it here or in the Life. Ask him.

The floor joists and boards were sandblasted to their natural color, and the floor plan was left wide open with trac lights for dramatic spot lighting. Under the stupid 2' x 4' drop ceiling in my basement
lurks some beautiful solid oak that has discolored over 114 years. There also lies old cut pipes and electrical that would need to be removed and cleaned up, not to mention the mess and torture created by media blasting that much wood, but it sure would look cool.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

tgoddess

Quote from: Bonster on December 18, 2007, 08:14:27 PM
5 strippers' poles!  Awesome.  This should be fun.

Oh, boy...you do know that's it awfully cold out now to be sleeping in the garage, don't you? 

;)
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Bonster

Quote from: Bear on December 18, 2007, 08:17:11 PM
The neatest new idea I saw was Bru's basement, (I think). I saw pics of it here or in the Life. Ask him.

The floor joists and boards were sandblasted to their natural color, and the floor plan was left wide open with trac lights for dramatic spot lighting. Under the stupid 2' x 4' drop ceiling in my basement
lurks some beautiful solid oak that has discolored over 114 years. There also lies old cut pipes and electrical that would need to be removed and cleaned up, not to mention the mess and torture created by media blasting that much wood, but it sure would look cool.

Yes, that is awesome looking Bear.
Just as cool is that there are few pipes (electrical, water, gas, soil) showing...(water heat helps that matter big time).  All sconce lighting, pipes on the outside walls. 
Most pipes run are along the main joist.  Sheldar here had proposed doing as such.  Check out the pics (Modern Bungalow) on BerwynInformer.com .

If you enclose any windows a good idea might be to have translucent panes on your doors to keep as much natural light as possible in the main areas (unless you're like Bru- walks into a room and brightens it up with naturally with his cheery glow, positive electricity, beaming smile (diamond encrusted teeth))

Bonster

Or you could just be ultra super cool like me and cover everything up with classic 60s/70s beer lights:
(Click to Enlarge)

fuckin' cool

Hot chocolate

hang cool guitars up:

suh-weeeet....

and Farrah Fawcett:

err, uhh...

It'll be just like that cool kid's bedroom you always liked to hang in cuz your p's would never let you have crap like that in their house!
(Don't forget the Berwyn Centennial Bong - on sale early @ Bear's garage)

Nazerac

Buy a stove.  Set up a summer kitchen in the basement.  Go on Craigslist for a cheap fridge.  Add a full bathroom.  Add 7 bedrooms.  Rent to a hard working immigrant family (or families).  Insist that each drives his or her own car, do not provide access to garage. 

Seriously though, I think that the first decision is whether to flood proof or now.  Here's a good site:
http://enermac.com/weeping/index.htm

My plans for my basement is to create a large laudry/tool storage areaas the bathroom (I have a toilet), turn the bathroom into a full bathroom.  Then finish the rest and keep it open, I will end up with a large L shaped living area.  I like the modern bungalow on informer, unfortunately my brick has been painted over.  So I would finish the bottom part (below grade) and leave the brick painted as is for texture.  I would create the various groupings/spaces (media/office/futton-guest sleeping) through track or other types of lighting.

Bonster

I think after the waterproofing (if necessary), you need to figure out just what you want to do down there (rec area, living room, entertainment)

I like the idea of not enclosing too much space, leaving the options open for future rearrangement, etc. 
For instance, in my case, hosting large family parties upstairs is not an option, so flexibility is key.

Which direction does your house face?

Guy_on_Clinton

Quote from: Bonster on December 19, 2007, 05:42:22 PM
Which direction does your house face?
May be something to consider with respect to natural light levels, etc.
And where on this diagram is your soil pipe?

house faces east
soil pipe is near the furnace and water heater... 

Bonster

and a door leading out back?

Guy_on_Clinton

Quote from: Bonster on December 19, 2007, 05:55:12 PM
and a door leading out back?

none.. only stairs that lead to the landing that is access to side entrance.

PamF

Guy_on_Clinton

still pondering doing something down there, but i figure i have to fix all my efflorescence problems....  any DIY solutions?

watcher

Quote from: Guy_on_Clinton on February 08, 2009, 10:23:23 AM
still pondering doing something down there, but i figure i have to fix all my efflorescence problems....  any DIY solutions?

UGL Dry-Lock Waterproofing fixed it cosmetically for me on the inside. Outside is more important to address. Water is working in and around your foundation.
Making sure that water runs off, AWAY from the house is critical. Properly installed gutters and downspouts, and addressing any gaps in the perimeter will greatly reduce
the effects.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

n01_important

Does the basement add significant value to the home?  Most of the articles I read say, "about 40-50% of cost" but then again, these are the same people that said, "home prices will only go higher".

I would think that as long as your adding functionality to the house, your OK.  Like the summer kitchen idea mentioned, or an entertainment center (private theater or private poles)  ;D 
Stupid fuck

Nazerac

here's a idea i am considering.

Bonster

dueling pc's, nice.

What's the room behind the door with a window & a drain next to the boiler?   More closet space?

Nazerac

That's where the current toilet is.  It is facing the front, I want to turn it around and use the existing space as either

a.  Closet space, or
b.  Utility Sink Closet.

What do you think?  One always needs a utility sink.  I can then take the sink from next to the washer dryer and turn that space into storage for dirty laundry.

Bonster

It's an interesting space, Naz, because of the window. 
I'd hate to waste the natural light source, so I would opt for shelving on two walls, spaced 18", and replace the present door with one that has a frosted glass window to make use of the light.