News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Wal-Mart

Started by MOMAS2, March 05, 2009, 10:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

Sometimes the check is to see that all items have been rung up by the checkout person. It happened to us once at Sam's:

We purchased a rather large electronic item along with our other purchases. Not paying any attention to the cashier (which was our fault) we went ahead and unloaded our goods onto the checkout counter, not once paying any attention to what was being rung up. We payed the total and were ready to walk out. Got stopped to show our receipt at the exit and low and behold, the cashier never charged us for the electronic item, some $145! Yet we had it under our arms, ready to walk out as if we payed for it, like we thought we did.

Maybe a little cooperation on everone's part can result in some good for all.

menace2society

That's an interesting occurance...does that mean you got treated like a criminal since you didn't pay for something you were walking out with?  I would guess that the store would back their employees wholeheartedly and think that the customer was the one trying to pull something over on the store...no?

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: menace2society on March 06, 2009, 01:23:31 PM
That's an interesting occurance...does that mean you got treated like a criminal since you didn't pay for something you were walking out with?  I would guess that the store would back their employees wholeheartedly and think that the customer was the one trying to pull something over on the store...no?

I'd think that a quick replay of the tape showed you went through the cashier.  Hard to blame the customer on this one.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

FedUp

To Mike Phelan,

Man talk about a load of CRAP. If you don't like their policy don't go to their store. Sounds to me like another person looking to hit the lottery through a lawsuit.

Stores lose millions everyday due to shoplifting...If I owned a store I may very well make everyone shop NAKED then I would sure as hell no if they were trying to steal.

But until that happens YOU my friend need to MAN UP and stop crying...... Like I or anyone else believes some rent-a-cop injured you.... pleeeeez

menace2society

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on March 06, 2009, 01:27:25 PM

I'd think that a quick replay of the tape showed you went through the cashier.  Hard to blame the customer on this one.

True, but as quickly as something like this would occur, I don't think the tape is an option.  I just don't like the profiling of people who would never do something like shoplift. 

Bonster

Quote from: menace2society on March 06, 2009, 02:58:11 PM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on March 06, 2009, 01:27:25 PM

True, but as quickly as something like this would occur, I don't think the tape is an option.  I just don't like the profiling of people who would never do something like shoplift. 

I do.  I beg for a cavity search every time I go there.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

MOMAS2

Quote from: FedUp on March 06, 2009, 02:40:10 PM

To Mike Phelan,

Man talk about a load of CRAP. If you don't like their policy don't go to their store. Sounds to me like another person looking to hit the lottery through a lawsuit.

Stores lose millions everyday due to shoplifting...If I owned a store I may very well make everyone shop NAKED then I would sure as hell no if they were trying to steal.

But until that happens YOU my friend need to MAN UP and stop crying...... Like I or anyone else believes some rent-a-cop injured you.... pleeeeez
I guess time will tell now won't it?  Besides, I don't remember any newspaper accounts of the story referring to Louis Jones as a rent a cop.  He was an off duty chicago cop.  Besides, this wouldn't be the first time Mr. Jones was in trouble.  A Mr. Akbar recently filed a civil rights lawsuit against him and his employer, the city of Chicago alleging he used excessive force against him in violation of his civil rights and also maliciously prosecuted him under Illinois common law.

FedUp

Quote from: MOMAS2 on March 06, 2009, 04:10:55 PM
Quote from: FedUp on March 06, 2009, 02:40:10 PM

To Mike Phelan,

I guess time will tell now won't it?  Besides, I don't remember any newspaper accounts of the story referring to Louis Jones as a rent a cop.  He was an off duty chicago cop.  Besides, this wouldn't be the first time Mr. Jones was in trouble.  A Mr. Akbar recently filed a civil rights lawsuit against him and his employer, the city of Chicago alleging he used excessive force against him in violation of his civil rights and also maliciously prosecuted him under Illinois common law.

Besides that sir, this wouldn't be the first time YOU acted like an ass.

God forbid anything bad ever happens in your life that really means something.......what would you do then?

To me your little hissy fit at Wal Mart shows me you are a LITTLE man...............Grow Up

MOMAS2

Hissy fit?  You weren't there now were you?  Therefore you don't know what happened now do you?

FedUp

2 seconds....show a receipt....move on

HISSY FIT

Bonster

Quote from: Life on October 02, 2008, 07:43:19 AM
   Forest Park police received a report of a disturbance at about 1:15 p.m. at the store, 1300 Des Plaines Ave. According to the report, security guard Louis Jones was working the door checking receipts as customers were leaving Wal-Mart. When Jones asked to see Phelan’s receipt for proof that he purchased the items in his shopping cart, Phelan refused, the police report said.

“Phelan then crumpled the receipt into his hand refusing to show it, now causing a scene by loudly questioning store policy,” according to the report.

FedUp

HISSY FIT HISSY FIT HISSY FIT

or should I say.....SISSY FIT

MOMAS2

Quote from: Bonster on March 06, 2009, 04:29:20 PM
   Forest Park police received a report of a disturbance at about 1:15 p.m. at the store, 1300 Des Plaines Ave. According to the report, security guard Louis Jones was working the door checking receipts as customers were leaving Wal-Mart. When Jones asked to see Phelan's receipt for proof that he purchased the items in his shopping cart, Phelan refused, the police report said.

"Phelan then crumpled the receipt into his hand refusing to show it, now causing a scene by loudly questioning store policy," according to the report.
Just like Louis Jones also stated that Phelan was out of control and he had to take him to the ground.  Funny how the survelience camera doesn't show anything resembling that.  Believe only part of what you read.  Again, were you there?

Bonster

Quote from: MOMAS2 on March 06, 2009, 04:49:24 PM
Quote from: Bonster on March 06, 2009, 04:29:20 PM
   Forest Park police received a report of a disturbance at about 1:15 p.m. at the store, 1300 Des Plaines Ave. According to the report, security guard Louis Jones was working the door checking receipts as customers were leaving Wal-Mart. When Jones asked to see Phelan's receipt for proof that he purchased the items in his shopping cart, Phelan refused, the police report said.

"Phelan then crumpled the receipt into his hand refusing to show it, now causing a scene by loudly questioning store policy," according to the report.

Just like Louis Jones also stated that Phelan was out of control and he had to take him to the ground.  Funny how the survelience camera doesn't show anything resembling that.  Believe only part of what you read.  Again, were you there?

I may have been there...

Did you see the "survelience" camera?

MRS. NORTHSIDER

I was just there today and and had no problems whatsoever even though I gave everyone my dirtiest look and mumbled nasty things under my breath.  WTF?  Maybe I should sue them for discrimination.

MOMAS2

Berwyn, IL -
A Forest Park judge March 4 dismissed two charges of disorderly conduct against Sixth Ward Alderman Michael Phelan after Wal-Mart failed to turn over a videotape of the incident.

Phelan said Sunday, March 8, he is considering filing a civil suit against Wal-Mart for injuries he sustained in a July 27 altercation with a security guard, who apprehended him on suspicion of shoplifting.

"I'm an innocent man, and I didn't anything wrong," Phelan said.

A store manager later checked Phelan's shopping cart against his receipt and determined Phelan had not attempted to steal any items. But Phelan did receive a local ordinance citation on two counts of disorderly conduct after the scuffle with the security guard, who told police that he had forced Phelan to the ground and handcuffed him because Phelan refused to show him a receipt of his purchases and was causing a scene in the store.

Phelan vehemently denied the allegations. The alderman said videos taken at the front door and in the back room of the store would show he was unjustly handcuffed, and the guard used excessive force. Days after the incident, Phelan's attorney Matthew Karchmar sent certified letters to the Forest Park Wal-Mart, 1300 Des Plaines Ave., and store's headquarters asking them to preserve and turn over the videotapes to Forest Park police. A subpoena for the videotapes was issued in October.

After months of waiting and several follow-up phone calls by the police, Wal-Mart produced the video from the front door but told a Forest Park judge March 4  the video from the back room had been destroyed, according to Deputy Police Chief Tom Aftanas. Without the tapes, the judge ordered the charges dismissed.

"We've requested the tape several times, and it took quite a bit of calling on our part to get the tape of just the front of the store," Aftanas said. "In any case, whether it's a local ordinance or a criminal case, we shouldn't have to call continuously."

According to police reports, security guard Louis Jones, who also works as a Chicago police officer, stopped Phelan at about 1:15 p.m. as he was exiting the store and asked to see the receipt for proof that he purchased all of the items in his shopping cart.

Jones then pushed the cart to the side and tried handcuffing Phelan, according to police reports.

"Phelan resisted to the point of having to be taken to the ground to complete the handcuffing," according to police reports.

The reports also said Jones cut two fingers in the scuffle. Phelan was then taken to the store's back security office in handcuffs for questioning, the reports said.

Phelan said the tapes would depict a different scenario. He said the security guard approached him from behind, jerked the cart away and started demanding to see his receipt while using profane language.

"I was stunned," Phelan said, explaining why he did not immediately hand over the receipt.

Phelan said he then asked to speak to a store manager before being tackled to the ground, handcuffed and taken to the back room, where he said he was threatened with physical violence.

Phelan said he has incurred more than $10,000 in medical bills for injuries to his hand and back. He said he is considering filing a personal injury suit to be compensated for the cost.

"I got the crap beaten out of me in that store," Phelan said.

MOMAS2

So much for saving money and living better with Wal-Mart.

Sandy

It's just the Forest Park store that checks the reciepts. K-mart has done it for years. I can walk to the Forest Park stores, but shop in Hodgkins or Villa Park Walmarts just so I don't have to deal with the problems at that one.
"Modern cynics and skeptics see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing."
John F. Kennedy

MOMAS2

Would you look at that.  Wal-Mart admits to destroying the video even though they were put on notice two days after the incident happened via certified mail to preserve the video.  Of course they destroyed it.  That is because Wal-Mart is dirty and they have to protect a dirty cop.  They were scared to death of what was on that video.  You can bet that they viewed it and didn't want to go down that road.  They are f*cked.  Now they admit they are destroying evidence.  Louis Jones is a dirty cop.  His antics he uses may work over on the southeast side of Chicago where his district is but they won't work in this case.  Phelan should file an IAD complaint against that piece of garbage's badge.

MOMAS2

News Headlines
1/10/2009 5:00:47 AM EST
Court reinstates malicious prosecution case
JAMES G. SOTOS
publication: Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
January 8, 2009 Thursday
On March 13, 2005, City of Chicago police officers arrested Asim Akbar for drinking on a public way. During processing at a local police station, Akbar and other arrestees were searched by Officer Darrin West. When West ordered one of the detainees to remove his underwear, Akbar called West a "meat watcher," insinuating that West was homosexual. A physical altercation ensued during which Akbar contended that he was severely beaten by Officers West, Louis Jones, Cordy Fouch and Louis Dixon. Akbar was charged with felony aggravated assault of a police officer against West, Jones, and Fouch, but was convicted only of a misdemeanor battery charge against West, and he was acquitted of all charges against officers Jones and Fouch. Akbar subsequently filed a civil rights lawsuit against the City of Chicago and West, Jones, Fouch and Dixon, alleging that the officers used excessive force against him in violation of his civil rights, and also maliciously prosecuted him under Illinois common law. Asim Akbar v. City of Chicago, et al., No. 06 C 3685 (Dec. 12,2008).