News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

AT&T uVerse

Started by dukesdad, April 20, 2009, 10:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dukesdad

Is now available in our area (near Proksa). It'l be about $50/month cheaper than Comcast for the first year and $30/month less after that. More importantly though it has a lot nicer set of features. Added bonus, not having to deal with Comcast's tech support folks.

Bonster

I got it about a month ago.  I love it. 

<awaits the wife's somewhat negative response>
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

TyRy

Quote from: 2ยข on April 20, 2009, 10:57:45 AM
I got it about a month ago.  I love it. 

<awaits the wife's somewhat negative response>

It is cheaper, however it doesn't work with Tivo.  And if you are used to Tivo, the features on the Uverse DVR's suck.   We also had two Tivos, and Uverse only comes with one.  Of course, you can pay for another one, but then you start to negate the Comcast savings and you're still stuck with a DVR that has no features.

The all music channels on Uverse also are really really bad compared to the ones on Comcast.  They claim they have the same genres but don't even come close to what we used to have.  I'd leave one on all day while doing things around the house and it would be great.  Shouldn't be a great surprise..they use a company called Urge which I think is owned by MTV.  :666:

n01_important

Can you just get the high speed?  I can't do TVs, they are the  :666:
Stupid fuck

Bonster

Quote from: TyRy on April 20, 2009, 05:33:02 PM

The all music channels on Uverse also are really really bad compared to the ones on Comcast.  They claim they have the same genres but don't even come close to what we used to have.  I'd leave one on all day while doing things around the house and it would be great.  Shouldn't be a great surprise..they use a company called Urge which I think is owned by MTV.  :666:

No way, the music channels are much better.  You just listen to bad music!

teenabeena

The AT&T Uverse guys have been coming around trying to sell internet & TV packages.  Been thinking about switching from DirecTV, but wanted to get some feedback first. Any happy (or unhappy customers) out there?

Bonster

<...  As you can see above, I like it, wife (TyRy) hates it.

dukesdad

I like it. Couple of downsides, they have yet to get our billing straight, and second, it only supports 2 HD sets at a time. There are times when that is a problem.

dukesdad

The 2 HD streams limit is really becoming more and more of a pain. Now that Comcast is offering all kinds of deals I'm considering going back.

Bonster

Quote from: dukesdad on March 27, 2010, 08:10:52 AM
The 2 HD streams limit is really becoming more and more of a pain. Now that Comcast is offering all kinds of deals I'm considering going back.

I agree.  They do not realize that just about all TVs sold now are HD.  As my smaller bedroom TVs die they're replaced with HD.  At any moment I may have 3 or 4 sets on at once.  Efficient, no, but I move about and if there's a game on...
And any household with kids...forget about it.

The concept is great, the execution is poor.  I knew as soon as they skimped on extending fiber to the household they were in trouble.  Bonding two pairs of copper as a band aid approach doesn't cut it, either.

OakParkSpartan

Just be happy you have it.  Down the road we still don't have uverse.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

dukesdad

I called them yesterday and bitched again about only 2 HD streams. Miraculously, they turned some big dial up in the sky and we now have 3....wtf.

jake

My biggest complaint is the DVR.  It sucks that you cannot "chase play" on a second TV.  If I want to pause or rewind live TV, I can only do so on the main box.  The work around is to record the show you want to watch on the second TV, and then immediately watch it (near real time), but that is a pain and can fill the DVR fast if you are not diligent about erasing.

Katekyle

Love our U-Verse.  We have internet, phone & tv.  They all work together so you can view or listen to any photos or music that you have on your computer through the tv - very cool.  We have the unlimited phone service and it is only $33/month.  Our only 'complaint' is that they don't yet have the call waiting caller id feature in our area.  You hear the tone, but do not see who is calling on the phone.  I am told it is in development.  All calls, however, are displayed on the tv screen.

n01_important

That's the problem... for $25/mo I get VOIP with unlimited US calls plus call waiting, ring forwarding and dozens of other features I don't even remember... plus unlimited call block, selective ring, via web interface.

I struggle whenever I need to pay more for less in commercial deal or in government.   ;)
Stupid fuck

jake

Quote from: n01_important on March 31, 2010, 08:38:38 PM
That's the problem... for $25/mo I get VOIP with unlimited US calls plus call waiting, ring forwarding and dozens of other features I don't even remember... plus unlimited call block, selective ring, via web interface.

I struggle whenever I need to pay more for less in commercial deal or in government.   ;)
N01,

I am willing to pay a little more (temporarily) sometimes if it will create a little competition.  I got sick of the cable company. 
But with the shitty programming on TV lately, I am really thinking of dropping paid TV all together.  Netflix's growing streaming library is making that an easier decision. 

dukesdad

uVerse has eliminated HGTV and Food Network from their channel lineup due to a contract dispute with Scripps. If you bitch to AT@T they will give you a $50 credit and sweeten up your movie package while they resolve the impasse.

J'sMom

Thinking about signing up for Uverse. Are you still happy with the service? Is anyone concerned with the cap imposed? What about HD quality?

dukesdad

I'm not wild about it. We seem to be having more and more issues with the picture pixelating for a few seconds when watching HD. Also it's not uncommon for the HD channel to just freeze for a few seconds or even minutes. I wind up having to go to the standard def channel to finish watching something. I'm guessing these problems are related to more and more people being brought onto the system. I'm also jealous of the kick ass internet speed that Comcast offers. I think if the $$$ were the same, I'd go Comcast. My problem is it's an ass pain to switch. Boxes to change, remotes to reconfigure etc, etc. When it gets annoying enough, I'll do something else.

Bonster

Quote from: dukesdad on May 17, 2011, 01:31:47 PM
I'm not wild about it. We seem to be having more and more issues with the picture pixelating for a few seconds when watching HD. Also it's not uncommon for the HD channel to just freeze for a few seconds or even minutes. I wind up having to go to the standard def channel to finish watching something. I'm guessing these problems are related to more and more people being brought onto the system. I'm also jealous of the kick ass internet speed that Comcast offers. I think if the $$$ were the same, I'd go Comcast. My problem is it's an ass pain to switch. Boxes to change, remotes to reconfigure etc, etc. When it gets annoying enough, I'll do something else.
Unless you're looking at 50Mb package you can get the same speeds as Comcast; you just have to pay for them like you do, Comcast.
Uverse offers 3/6/12/18/24Mb service and Comcast has 1.5/6/12/20/50.  When I had what used to be the 10Mb package with Comcast I rarely sustained anything close to that.

I haven't had any of those problems you mentioned with HD - at all - though I only have 2 HD sets; the rest are standard. 

My favorite things about Uverse are being able to record remotely (at work, on the road) if I think of something I don't have set already, and the centralized DVR allowing you to watch recorded material in any room.  Also dig the picture in picture preview when scrolling thru channels.

What I miss most about Comcast are multiple DVRs...though you can only watch programs in the same room you recorded on, you at least have the choice of pausing and chase play in any room.  That and I miss the TiVo compatibility!