INPUT FROM ALL NEEDED!!! Possible Business Location Move

Started by MMB, April 26, 2009, 06:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonster

Quote from: OptimusSlime on April 28, 2009, 02:14:54 PM
Back to McDonalds, why is it that every business that is already in Berwyn and doing very well you guys knock.  What is the matter with McDonalds?  Oh that's right - they aren't trendy enough. 

Quit with the "you guys" bullshit.  I love McDonald's.  Not as effective a laxative as say, White Castle, but effective nonetheless.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

tony la

Quote from: OptimusSlime on April 28, 2009, 02:14:54 PM
Tony La can't sell a house let alone complete a commercial lease. 

The McDonalds lease was signed back in 1982.  The lease is recorded on the property.  Go look it up before you shoot your month off. Ground leases where a tenant builds their own store typically run for 20 years plus a number of options.   There has been a really great piece of land at the corner of Oak Park and Cermak.  Why haven't we put a restaurant there.  There is all kinds of vacant spaces that could be knocked down across the street.  Once again why haven't the retailers been banging on the door?  Back to McDonalds, why is it that every business that is already in Berwyn and doing very well you guys knock.  What is the matter with McDonalds?  Oh that's right - they aren't trendy enough.  My understanding is that this McDonalds does real well, pays sales taxes and doesn't ask for a lot in return.

I am not knocking mcd.  They have done very well.  Typically a lease is 20 years. Except by your own account that means they are in the 27th year of a 20 year lease.  Again I don't know who you are.  And I don't know the specifics of the deal.  If what you are telling me is true.  And there is a noncompete in the lease.  It appears that someone underestimated the value of that location in my humble opinion.  

It is also my experience when someone attacks me they way you did, they don't feel good about the deal either. Pretty defensive for a non involved party I must say.

And Slime........as for not being able to sell a house.  I am the only agent in Berwyn, Cicero, LaGrange,NR.  I could go on and on who has a LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD WHICH I RECEIVED 2 YEARS AGO.
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

scungili

Quote from: bonster on April 28, 2009, 02:50:22 PM
Now...The McDLT - that was a failure.

I kinda miss the McDLT.  And whatever "parts" get crammed into the McRib mold, it brings back good memories.  I get one every time McRib Season rolls around.

QuoteI love McDonald's.  Not as effective a laxative as say, White Castle, but effective nonetheless.

I dunno ... I think Mr. Taco takes top prize in that competition in these parts.

BRoWN

lol. "You guys" are funny. "All you people" deserve to have a McRib on me.

java

Quote from: bonster on April 28, 2009, 02:50:22 PM
Now...The McDLT - that was a failure.

Failure?  Are you kidding? The Hot stayed Hot, and the Cool stayed Cool!!  Genius!   ;D

(but that packaging was some serious land-fillage)

http://www.youtube.com/v/UTSdUOC8Kac&hl=en

The City of Homers

tony la

Slime, 

Not blame anyone for anything.....just trying to bounce some ideas off each other and maybe come up with something no one else thought of.

We all have Berwyn's best at heart.  Attacking any one of us is not moving in a good direction. 

You have to admit we have some unique people on this forum.  I learn much from everyone here.  Even the ones I don't like. 
WWW.TONYLA.NET

BRoWN

MMB, do you see what happened once you could not tell us what biz you were in? It turned into an "All things McDonalds" thread. Anybody remember the McJordan and the Beef Wennington? How about they bring Berwyn that McLobster and McCrab? Most importantly, they need to give us back the rest of  Cermak Plaza. 

watcher

Quote from: BRoWN on April 28, 2009, 05:02:15 PM
MMB, do you see what happened once you could not tell us what biz you were in? It turned into an "All things McDonalds" thread. Anybody remember the McJordan and the Beef Wennington? How about they bring Berwyn that McLobster and McCrab? Most importantly, they need to give us back the rest of  Cermak Plaza. 

Let's see what we DO know.
MMB's business competes directly with an existing business on Roosevelt Rd. The owner lives in Berwyn. The business relies on foot traffic.
He/She feels the business would also attract people to the area.

I think we can rule out liquor related businesses. Team Blonde was mentioned, so it's out.
Brown Cow enjoys the same kind of support that OTR does. SFAIK, there are no antique stores on Roosevelt.
So what's left? Moss, Heels, M.Santana, deedee&edee,  Girlicious, Accents by Fred, Two Fish, Todd & Holland, Baubo's, Chix with Sticks, Old School Records, Flavour.

Process of elimination of things on Roosevelt...it's one of the boutique shoe stores? My guess is http://www.heelsboutique.com/home.html Heels.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

mailman7

Quote from: tony la on April 28, 2009, 04:50:22 PM
Slime, 

Not blame anyone for anything.....just trying to bounce some ideas off each other and maybe come up with something no one else thought of.

We all have Berwyn's best at heart.  Attacking any one of us is not moving in a good direction. 

You have to admit we have some unique people on this forum.  I learn much from everyone here.  Even the ones I don't like. 

Your comment about Flight sort of seems accusatory!

What do you know about commercial leases?

I think slime summed it up!

You have a company paying taxes, viable business. You (with obviously zero commercial expertise from your comments) think you know what or if mcdonalds is a good deal. you know the old saying about opinions? You think you know more than Michael Flight? Please!
Just imagine that when you're done protesting, you'll still be unemployed ... GET OFF YOUR ASS and GET a JOB!

tony la

I really was not talking to you mailman.  My conversation was constructive.  I am just suggesting that we don't get caught in that noncompete again if at all necessary. 

I have done quite a bit of  commercial leases and sales.  Absolutely nothing is standard.  I would love to get home run inn in there, or something similar.

Mailman.....I really don't know what your issue is with me.  I want to improve our community.  I certainly hope that is your wish also.   :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

WWW.TONYLA.NET

OakParkSpartan

Mailman,

Final warning.  You've stalked Tony for months.  Knock it off or you are gone.  Clear?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

BRoWN

Nobody has suggested ANY business at the Plaza should leave. Meanwhile, there is an assumption that Flight and the owners......and Berwyn.. should take another look at McDs lease.  Look, any additional restuarant would have to build a new kitchen anyhow but its worth checking into with the empty spaces to lease. IMO this about leasing space. Leasing space IMO also works toward cleanup of the property.   

tony la

A good solid restraunt like what I have mentioned would also help the existing businesses. 

It would be nice to see people going to eat and then spending some time at the local stores. 

The two go hand in hand.  Like the food court idea.   I know there is no non compete in the food court. 

WWW.TONYLA.NET

BRoWN

Quote from: tony la on April 29, 2009, 11:38:03 AM
A good solid restraunt like what I have mentioned would also help the existing businesses. 

It would be nice to see people going to eat and then spending some time at the local stores. 

The two go hand in hand.  Like the food court idea.   I know there is no non compete in the food court. 

Yes.....they help create traffic and the impulse buy for the surrounding retailers.  Many food courts have non-competes in regards to menu items though.   

Bear

Actually a food court concept would be perfect
for the DD. Most existing stores would work well size wise
and the newer retail opening under the condos and parking
garage could house the larger operations.
Give people choice and you create destination.

I can dream can't I?
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

tony la

Pompai would be the envy of every surrounding town.
WWW.TONYLA.NET

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: tony la on April 29, 2009, 12:31:20 PM
Pompai would be the envy of every surrounding town.

There is a Pompei 3 miles up the road at Harlem and Lake.  That ship has sailed.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

Quote from: Bear on April 29, 2009, 12:29:52 PM
Actually a food court concept would be perfect
for the DD. Most existing stores would work well size wise
and the newer retail opening under the condos and parking
garage could house the larger operations.
Give people choice and you create destination.

I can dream can't I?

I don't think there's enough traffic for a "food court" concept in the DD.  Once Brando's is open you'll be set (as long as they live up to Novi/Mr. Beef/Bear standards)

There's tons at Harlem/Cermak which could be well-served by a similar, well-planned concept.  
As it stands, just getting into the Dog Wagon is a pain in the ass.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Roger

In order for covenants not to compete to be held enforceable, they have to be judged to be reasonable in two aspects: 1) length of time, and 2)the scope of the restriction.  What is deemed to be "reasonable" is objective and varies from case to case. Courts are generally not too crazy about these covenants because of the effect that these covenants have on competiton and free enterprise.  Unless McDonalds gave the landlord some huge consideration, I don't think that a covenant for 20 years that excludes all restaurants would be upheld if challenged.  Maybe like Brown pointed out, there might be some menu restrictions that would be ok, but to ban all other types of restaurants for 20 years... in my opinion, I don't think that would fly.

BRoWN

Its not who knows more than Michael Flight as much as McDonalds  knowing more about commercial leases....than just about EVERYONE.   Then again, McDs likely got this exclusive on "auto-pilot." Probably standard practice for them to draw up non-competes. Again, they likely don't even care that the non-compete is there for the Plaza location.  Its not a rural town with 3 fast food choices  miles from the next town off the interstate.  McDs is a smart company and they must know  another restaurant at Cermak Plaza is not going to hurt sales. It certainly puts a damper in Berwyns economy though.