TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Vick is back

Started by buzz, July 27, 2009, 10:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cathy

Illinois Law Cracks Down on Dogfighters
August 12, 2009, 8:59AM MT

Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn has signed into law new, safe humane legislation that prohibits convicted dogfighters from owning unsterilized or vicious dogs, making it more difficult for offenders to return to the illegal activity once they have served their time.

First of its kind in the United States, the new law amends the State of Illinois Criminal Code of 1961 to make it a misdemeanor for a convicted dogfighter to own unsterilized dogs or dogs that have been deemed vicious by a court. This includes any unspayed or unneutered dog or puppy older than 12-weeks of age, or irrespective of whether the dog has been spayed or neutered, any dog that has been determined to be a vicious dog under Section 15 of the Animal Control Act.

"This will give law enforcement more tools to crack down on people who fight dogs," said Ledy VanKavage, senior legislative analyst for Best Friends Animal Society. "It will also have the effect of helping lessen the likelihood that convicted dog fighters, once they are released from prison, go back into the breeding business."

Best Friends Animal Society, which took in 22 of the fighting dogs rescued from the home of pro football player Michael Vick in 2007, worked closely with bill sponsors State Sen. William R. Haine (D-Alton) and State Rep. Mike Boland (D-East Moline) to get the bill to the governor's desk. Best Friends has been proactive in instituting humane legislation that makes communities safer from people who own vicious dogs for the purpose of fighting.

Best Friends has also helped draft and spearhead passage of another measure on Gov. Quinn's desk—a cross-reporting bill that mandates that animal control workers report all cases of child abuse to the state, and for the Illinois State Division of Child and Family Services to report all cases of animal abuse. Best Friends also helped draft and pass an anti-dog fighting bill in the State of Georgia in 2008.

"Best Friends believes that legislation is an integral component in effecting positive change to prevent animal cruelty and promote animal kindness animals," VanKavage added. "This is why we are being so proactive in this area by working with our volunteers lawmakers around the country."

"Because of tireless efforts of Sen. Haine and Rep. Boland, our communities in Illinois will be safer for both people and pets," she said.

How You Can Help

* Donate to the Pit Bulls: Saving America's Dog campaign to help Best Friends continue their legislative efforts to end breed discrimination and dogfighting.

* Help pass effective non-breed specific, dangerous dog/reckless owner laws in your community by writing to your legislators.

I thought I would have to teach my children about the world, instead I have to teach the world about my children.

Bonster

Arlington Hts. man charged in fatal beating of ex-girlfriend's kitten
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=314207

An Arlington Heights man has been charged for violently killing his estranged girlfriend's 4-month-old kitten in a fit of rage, officials said.

Kevin Colabuono, 25, was arrested and charged with one count of aggravated cruelty to an animal after admitting to slamming the kitten to the ground in his apartment in the 2100 Block of South Gilbert, said Arlington Heights Police Sergeant Michael Shabez.

Colabuono is still being held in Cook County jail awaiting a bond hearing Monday morning. If convicted of the class 4 felony, he could find himself behind bars for up to three years, Shabez said.

Shabez said Colabuono had broken up with his live-in girlfriend one week ago and the woman had left the apartment, leaving the kitten behind.

At some point during the week, Shabez said Colabuono became enraged by the kitten after it urinated on the rug. He allegedly slammed the kitten to the ground upset, then wrapped it up and put it in a dumpster, he said.

The woman returned to the apartment Sunday afternoon and looked for the kitten, Shabez said, when Colabuono admitted to her that he killed it.

The woman phoned police at about 1 p.m. Sunday, Shabez said, at which point Colabuono was arrested and charged. Police also recovered the dead kitten.

A second cat in the home-- which belonged to Colabuono, Shabez said -- has been removed from the apartment and taken to an animal shelter. The bond court judge will decide if the cat would be returned to Colabuono, Shabez said.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Cathy

I couldn't resist.

A Song For All The Peaceful Pits

(and cute photos too)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FV7aLCrgX0
I thought I would have to teach my children about the world, instead I have to teach the world about my children.

Cathy

Very Well Said!!!

Best Friends Animal Society's Official Statement on Michael Vick's Return to Professional Football
August 14, 2009, 8:35PM MT

Editor's Note:
Best Friends Animal Society, which took in 22 of Michael Vick's fighting dogs in January of 2008, today released the following statement regarding Vick's announced contract signing with the Philadelphia Eagles of the National Football League.

"Michael Vick has served his time and satisfied the requirements of our legal system. But if he is truly as remorseful as he claims, then he must know in his heart that what he did cannot be undone. In fact, the only true expression of remorse that he could possibly make would be to dedicate the rest of his life to relieving the suffering of animals and helping to bring all dogfighting to an end.

"This being said, Best Friends feels that perhaps the cart is being placed before the horse. Wouldn't it have been better if, before he was given the privilege of returning to the NFL, he had spent at least one year working for the good of animals? He could have worked as a shelter volunteer, visited community centers, and delivered messages to at-risk children, totally free from the glare of the pro football spotlight. Surely this act of dedication would help us see what truly is in his heart.

"As it is, we're left to wonder if his expression of repentance is genuine or just part of a well-orchestrated plan to return him to multi-million-dollar, sports megastar status.

"Through our work with the 'Vicktory Dogs,' we hope to improve the image of all dogs that are the unfortunate victims of cruelty, such as the American pit bull terrier and dogs that resemble pit bulls. Our "Pit Bulls: Saving America's Dog" campaign is an example of how we are committing time and resources to end dog fighting for good.

"We sincerely believe that our work for the good of the dogs is the best single statement we could possibly make about Vick and dog fighting in general. Our focus remains fixed on helping animals and educating the public until the horrible practice of dog fighting can be eliminated once and for all.

"We hope that people concerned about Vick's return to football will channel their frustrations into something positive. Take a pit bull for a walk. Volunteer at your local shelter. Better yet, skip an Eagles game and donate what you would have paid for a ticket to the animal welfare organization of your choice."

"Pit Bulls: Saving America's Dog," is one of four Best Friends campaigns aimed at reaching the goal of No More Homeless Pets. Read more about dogfighting, breed discriminatory legislation and other challenges pit bulls face, as well as learn how you can help, by clicking here.

Classof67

That was a good article, Cathy and expresses the viewpoint of many.  It made me want to read what Vick has been doing to express his remorse and found that he continues to speak out against dogfighting on behalf of the Humane Society.  You can read the entire article on their website.

http://hsus.typepad.com/wayne/

Here is an excerpt from Humane Society President Wayne Pacelle that shows the good coming from the bad:

Vick is an unlikely ambassador for an anti-dogfighting campaign. And I can understand the skepticism about him and his "conversion" to an animal protection advocate. But turning away Vick's offer to help won't result in the saving of a single animal. By engaging with him, and putting him to work in a community service program (like many ex-convicts participate in), we may sway countless kids who would be involved in dogfighting, and that means dogs will be protected.  And, as I've said before, it's always good to turn an adversary into an ally and advocate.

Sometimes, the change we seek comes down strange and never-traveled pathways. And sometimes, it comes through the unlikeliest of people. The crisis that animals face compels us to be open to all of these unlikely possibilities.

Cathy

Class:

Don't you wonder if he ever turned in all the Dog Fighters and all the Dog Fighting Rings he is aware of?  I never heard anything about that.   

Bonster

Man accused of throwing dog to its death
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=317186&src=143

Authorities have charged a Chicago man with aggravated cruelty to animals and animal torture for allegedly hurling his 17-year-old Labrador retriever off a third-floor porch earlier this month.

The Chicago Police News Affairs office says the dog was a family pet.

The man charged, 45-year-old Lawrence Juliano reportedly told police the dog was sick, but the family did not have enough money to have it euthanized.

Animal crimes team officers arrested Juliano on Wednesday after he was positively identified as the person who threw the dog to its death on Aug. 15. He was charged with the two felonies Wednesday night.

billyjean

Expect Vick to play for Eagles in a couple weeks.  Donovan McNabb got hurt, and probably cracked a rib which will keep him out for a bit (unless he can play with cracked rib).  Vick still has two weeks to go.

Bonster

Quote from: billyjean on September 13, 2009, 11:03:55 PM
Expect Vick to play for Eagles in a couple weeks.  Donovan McNabb got hurt, and probably cracked a rib which will keep him out for a bit (unless he can play with cracked rib).  Vick still has two weeks to go.

Vick debuts...

Rushed for 7 yards on one carry and failed to connect on either of his two passes.

Doesn't matter, though, as for the second straight week QB Kevin Kolb put up eye-popping numbers, passing for 327 yards and two touchdowns without committing any turnovers against the Chiefs. (390 last week, but 3 INTs)

Keep putting up numbers like that and Vick will remain on the bench.

Classof67

I thought the full moon was last Sunday?  What a weird news day...And why an 8 part series?

October 9, 2009
Eagles' Quarterback Michael Vick to star in 8-part reality TV series 
Associated Press

NEW YORK — Michael Vick will be giving the public an inside look at his life during an eight-part television series scheduled to debut on BET next year.

Tentatively titled "The Michael Vick Project," the cable show will follow the Philadelphia Eagles quarterback as he tries to redeem himself after going to prison for 18 months for his role in operating a dogfighting ring. DuBose Entertainment, which is co-producing the series, and BET officially announced the show Friday.

"I think its important to show our youth and our kids that you face adversity but you're not responsible for falling, you're responsible for getting up," Vick said earlier this week. "I'm very remorseful about what happened and what I did. I just don't want other people to go down that path. I'm trying to make it right and repair past damages. That's all I want to show."

The show is part reality TV, part documentary, chronicling Vick's rise from a difficult childhood to becoming a star at Virginia Tech, the No. 1 overall draft pick of the Atlanta Falcons in 2001, and at the time the highest paid player in the NFL.

Its producers also are promising a stark, candid look at Vick's precipitous fall, which culminated in his prison term and bankruptcy, and his return to the NFL this season.

Vick signed a $1.6 million deal with the Eagles on Aug. 13, with a team option for next year worth $5.2 million. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell gave Vick his full reinstatement Sept. 3 and allowed him to return to the field in Week 3.

Vick has played sparingly his first two games, completing 11 of 15 passes for 45 yards with one interception, and running eight times for 36 yards and a score.

"Michael Vick's story is about second chances, and we are excited to have the opportunity to tell his complete story," BET president Loretha Jones said in a statement.

Vick said he began filming the show with his own crew when he was sent to prison, long before BET got involved. He said he wanted the cameras to see "the ugly results of my decisions" so that other people won't make the same mistakes.

"We started filming that a long time ago, not with BET but just on my own. My own film crew," Vick said. "We haven't been shooting lately, but it's something we've been doing since I was in prison and through the bankruptcy.

"It was all out then and I was doing it. I think as the season goes on, I won't have time for it. Maybe some time in 2010 we can pick up where we left off."

AP Sports Writer Dan Gelston in Philadelphia contributed to this report.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

buzz

Quote from: Classof67 on October 09, 2009, 01:21:14 PM
I thought the full moon was last Sunday?  
The moon is stuck on full.  Has been for many years.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Bonster

Vick's "incredible" comeback: done.  Took a nasty hit during a run, looks like broken collarbone + a few ribs...

To add insult to injury Vick's run was wiped out on a holding penalty . . .

buzz

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

billyjean

Quote from: buzz on October 03, 2010, 07:54:23 PM
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

karma ... what goes around

Diona

LOL...I'm in agreement.  Even though he paid his "debt to society", he's still a sh** for the dog fighting he did/treatment of dogs.

I'm an animal lover & I just plain & simple can't forgive animal cruelty of any kind.

~LL~

Quote from: Diona on October 04, 2010, 07:14:34 AM
LOL...I'm in agreement.  Even though he paid his "debt to society", he's still a sh** for the dog fighting he did/treatment of dogs.

I'm an animal lover & I just plain & simple can't forgive animal cruelty of any kind.

What he 'paid back' to our rather sick society basically just got more media coverage for this worthless POS himself.  He is just one example of the low lives that get away with animal and child abuse and cruelty every day and not much consequence really comes their way, does it? 

However, this worthless POS's vile actions did actually help raise awareness
of the crime of animal fighting - which helped to get some better laws in place.  It also actually helped reduce ignorance regarding the AmStaffs and bull dog mixes.  Still a long way to go on that one though...

Hopefully his t.v. show will get all the viewersihp it deserves - NONE.  He could not care less about possibly helping others learn from his mistakes -- except maybe how not to get caught.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Ted

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/la-na-obama-vick-20101229,0,2285429.story 

Obama's comments on Vick draw fire

In a phone conversation with Jeffrey Lurie, Obama praised the Philadelphia Eagles owner for giving the quarterback another chance.

By Brian Bennett and Michael A. Memoli,
Washington Bureau
December 29, 2010

A standout season has done plenty to calm the controversy surrounding quarterback Michael Vick. But President Obama's praise of the Philadelphia Eagles for giving the convicted dogfighter a second chance has brought new energy to an old firestorm.

"This is a nation of football lovers," said Lisa Lange, a spokeswoman for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. She also said Obama was underestimating the negative reaction his comments would provoke. "It is also a nation of dog lovers."

The subject of Vick, whose signing by the National Football League team in August 2009 sparked protests from animal lovers across the U.S., came up in a recent phone call between Obama and Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie as the president praised the team's ambitious plans to power its stadium with alternative energy.

While discussing Lurie's November announcement to add hundreds of wind turbines and solar panels to Lincoln Financial Field, Obama also commended him for giving Vick a second chance, according to Peter King of NBC and Sports Illustrated.

In August 2007, Vick pleaded guilty to running a dogfighting operation, in a case that included graphic descriptions of dogs being hanged and tortured to death. He served 19 months in prison and was suspended by the NFL.

Upon his release in May 2009, Vick was mentored by former NFL head coach Tony Dungy, who ultimately testified to Vick's changed ways. The Eagles signed Vick to a one-year contract, then exercised an option for this season.

A White House statement Tuesday cast Obama's comments as consistent with the president's view that "individuals who have paid for their crimes should have an opportunity to contribute to society again."

But Bill Smith, the founder of Main Line Animal Rescue in the Philadelphia area, bristled at Obama's characterization that the Eagles' signing of Vick was motivated by wanting to give a convicted felon a second chance.

"If he couldn't throw a football, he wouldn't have had a second chance," said Smith, who organized a campaign last season to collect food for animal shelters every time Vick was sacked on the field. "This isn't about giving anyone a second chance; it's about who can make the Eagles organization more money."

Once the NFL's highest-paid player, Vick played the last two seasons under a court-approved bankruptcy agreement brought on by his legal woes. He has led the Eagles to a playoff berth and the NFC East division title and is having the best season of his career. On Tuesday, he was selected for the Pro Bowl.

He also has spent the last 17 months doing volunteer work for the Humane Society and various Philadelphia animal rights groups, but critics say the story of redemption being portrayed in the City of Brotherly Love is more about Vick's play than his efforts to rehabilitate himself.

"If the president truly believed in second chances, he would have adopted a dog from a shelter," Smith said.

In a statement, White House Deputy Press Secretary Bill Burton acknowledged that Obama and Lurie discussed "other issues" beyond the green initiatives.

"He of course condemns the crimes that Michael Vick was convicted of," Burton said.

As part of his probation, Vick has volunteered with the Humane Society and spoken to children about the evils of animal abuse. The Eagles also have donated money to animal shelters in the Philadelphia area.

Those efforts gave Vick a reprieve from some animal rights groups.

"As long as [Vick] is focusing on playing football and not abusing animals, we will focus our attention on those who are being cruel to animals," said Lange, the PETA spokeswoman.

But Vick's detractors have not forgotten the viciousness of his crimes. He riled activists this month when he told NBC News that he "would love to get another dog in the future. I think it would be a big step for me in the rehabilitation process."

Vick is not allowed to own a dog while he is on probation, and PETA wants the restriction extended when he is up for review in 2012. In the same way convicted pedophiles are not allowed to be alone with children, PETA's board says, it believes convicted animal abusers should be denied unsupervised access to pets.

"Children and animals are completely defenseless to an abuser," Lange said.

billyjean

On a side note, wasn't EXACT words but, the announcers discussed the pros / cons of the game being cancelled (cause of snow) for Monday and moved to Tuesday, that Philly didn't want Vick to play in the snow.  If that's true, omg.  What has football come to?  Like I saw on a newscast when a governor (maybe Minnesota's gov?)(I catch things patchy sometimes) that like in League of Their Own ... there is no crying in baseball ... well, in football there is no cancelling games cause of weather.  I heard THAT first, and then when I heard the announcers last night ... I said ... wait a minute ... is it possible they cancelled the game so Vick didn't have to play in the snow?  Then shook my head in disgust.

I have watched the games with Vick playing, however, my sister refuses to watch ANY game with Vick.  She cannot and will not get over what he did.  I said, well if you truly were adamant about it, you would forbid your husband to watch em too (lol, I like to stir the pot), and she said no, that's his decision.  Unlike me, she's fair.  Back to Vick ... apparently The Humane Society has backed him, but PETA still refuses to do so.  IMO, Vick hasn't done enough (or at least it has not been publicized) to show he UNDERSTANDS what he did was wrong and that what others continue to do is wrong.  I also heard he wants a dog.  My first reaction is if a person truly came to understanding that what they did was wrong, they would be so overcome with remorse and shame, that it would be very hard to look into a dogs eyes knowing what you have done to them in the past.  It would be normal to shun something that has brought so much pain ... that's why I don't feel he is truly sorry because if he were, he wouldn't be so in a hurry to get another dog.  If he truly faced his being abuser ... just looking at a dog would bring too much pain.  He lived a lifetime of viewing dogs as insignificant living creatures that bring entertainment by savaging / killing each other.  When you've grown up with that mindset (like bullfighting), you don't see the wrong ... and you are not cured in just a few years.

mustang54

Mike Vick has gone through more,done more,and paid more than other players who took the lives of human beings.
Vick did time in prison,lost millions of dollars, speaks almost every Tuesday to groups especially kids on how wrong dog fighting is and the mistake he made.  For me I have seen people given second chances for far worse things than Vick. Don't get me wrong I love dogs and think dog fighting is sickening,but the man has earned a second and final chance. Many just keep dumping on him for two reasons 1. he is an athlete and 2. he is black.

baron von berwyn

the only reason vic is putting on this "i'm a perfect angel act" is because he got caught.....there is something mentally wrong with someone that does that to animals for whatever reason....he is clearly not wired correctly and had he not been caught, he would still be torturing animals to this very day and no one would know about it.....so you can sit there and put whatever spin you want on this...i don't care if someone's  black, yellow, purple, a sports figure, a celebrity or a bum.... what he did is despicable and he desreves the same fate... i say, "once an asshole, always an asshole"...people do not change (particularly when they are metally deficient as in vic's case)  and if they appear to, it's only temporary because there is something in it for them....(i.e. vic trying to saving vics career).