News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

New Church 32nd & Clinton

Started by Vic0218, August 05, 2009, 08:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic0218

Does anyone know what new church moved into the church at 32nd & Clinton? I didn't realize there were new owners and they've been having a very, very noisy service for two hours now.
"Inside every older person is a younger person - wondering what the hell happened" - Cora Harvey Armstrong

pkd50

Vic0218

3 hours of almost constant singing using microphones and what sounds like a full band. Blasting loud. Similar volume level as when the bands play Oktoberfest in the depot district.

Very southern revival like but I honestly have no clue what denomination it is
"Inside every older person is a younger person - wondering what the hell happened" - Cora Harvey Armstrong

Ed Fitzgerald

The church bell chimed 'til it rang 29 times

piniped

Quote from: Vic0218 on August 05, 2009, 08:08:17 PM
Does anyone know what new church moved into the church at 32nd & Clinton? I didn't realize there were new owners and they've been having a very, very noisy service for two hours now.

I live just 3 houses away from the church and have seen and heard the indications of a new, very vibrant congregation moving in.  I have no other info to share but will if I find out anything.  I'd be very interested in any info others may gather.

A.Malina

Quote from: piniped on August 05, 2009, 10:33:14 PM
Quote from: Vic0218 on August 05, 2009, 08:08:17 PM

I live just 3 houses away from the church and have seen and heard the indications of a new, very vibrant congregation moving in.  I have no other info to share but will if I find out anything.  I'd be very interested in any info others may gather.
it's lovely to be "vibrant",  but rude to be loud -- call the police if it's obnoxious.
"I have never killed a man but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

Vic0218

I enjoy vibrant. This was obnoxious.

Especially after the first hour while trying to enjoy a beautiful evening with the windows open.

I didn't mention that this has been going on multiple days since the past weekend. Interesting.....

Puttintange

Sounds to me like a good old fashion Baptist Homecoming and Revival.
Pray! Pray! Pray! O:)

Classof67

Quote from: Vic0218 on August 05, 2009, 11:48:09 PM
I enjoy vibrant. This was obnoxious.

Especially after the first hour while trying to enjoy a beautiful evening with the windows open.

I didn't mention that this has been going on multiple days since the past weekend. Interesting.....

Maybe it's the Derbylites practicing for the next roller, holy that is, derby!

Vic0218

Nope - not roller derby. I love roller derby by the way...my sister is a player.

The new owner is a Victory Outreach congregation. The pastor is Ramon Castro, and he has moved his congregation here from thier prior church location on 59th street in Chicago (which they outgrew).

So that answers my original question.

littlealexa

Walked by there yesterday evening and heard them singing spanish church music but wasn't sure what religious affiliation.

Ed Fitzgerald

Maybe I should go visit that church. I do have some
concerns as to what would happen to me if I did enter a
house of worship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYbUx6wZ7z4

-EF

Bonster

As faith erodes a lot of churches are being "repurposed" now.

The old Lithuanian church on Euclid is now home to "Reformation Ministry."
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Ed Fitzgerald

DAMN...I need a tax break biz too,
what have I been thinking all these years?

I gots to sell the Lord bro.

-EF

n01_important

I went to a re-purposed church turned techno night club in Denver called the "The Church: Seven Candles".  After a few drinks, the Catholic guilt got to me and my friends found me praying by the alter.   ;D

All I could think about, "All the good I did in the world, I flushed down the crapper with this one sacrilegious act."

http://www.clubzone.com/p9771/denver/nightclub/the-church/tiesto-at-the-church-photo-392169.html
Stupid fuck

Shelley

How about this church "repurposed" by developers into condos!  Check out the light fixture:

http://www.urbandomain.com/chicago/propertyDetail.php?searchArea=buy_featured&propId=07090440&ptype=ATSF

Actually, it looks like that type of repurposing is pretty common:

http://www.uniquechicagoblog.com/2009/03/top-8-chicago-church-condo-conversions.html

Terri

Vic,

During open forum at cc a representative from the church wanted to let everyone know they are new to Berwyn and extended invitations to join them. The Mayor said he knew about the church because the city had complaints and please stay after the meeting to discuss.

Hopefully they will understand and be good neighbors.   

Vic0218

Ana

I just got a complaint today from one of my coworkers that lives in that area.  Apparently, the church-goers look like "punks" and they hangout in the area way later than they should and all over the neighbors' property.  Parking, needless to say, is a "HORRIBLE" definite problem.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Beans

Quote from: Ana on August 13, 2009, 10:21:49 AM
I just got a complaint today from one of my coworkers that lives in that area.  Apparently, the church-goers look like "punks" and they hangout in the area way later than they should and all over the neighbors' property.  Parking, needless to say, is a "HORRIBLE" definite problem.

Trust me, it's a freakin' nightmare.

The neighborhood calls the Cops almost every night.

So far our new 3rd ward alderperson has been unresponsive. Stay tuned...