News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

New Church 32nd & Clinton

Started by Vic0218, August 05, 2009, 08:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Beans on September 03, 2009, 04:13:28 PM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on September 03, 2009, 02:58:22 PM
It is a sticky problem.

City government can't really say "we don't like your religion, so get out". 

Absolutely true, that would be against everything we're about (American that is). However, at what point does a "church" cross the line and does not behave as a good neighbor and would risk not being able to do business in a town? How much say does a neighborhood have?

I'm not sure.

What exactly are they doing?  Is the music they have at their services loud?  That and parking seem to be the complaints I've heard.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Beans

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on September 03, 2009, 04:27:56 PM
It is a sticky problem.

Absolutely true, that would be against everything we're about (American that is). However, at what point does a "church" cross the line and does not behave as a good neighbor and would risk not being able to do business in a town? How much say does a neighborhood have?

I'm not sure.

What exactly are they doing?  Is the music they have at their services loud?  That and parking seem to be the complaints I've heard.

It's not the religion *we take issue with.

Let's start with the noise, parking, trash, loitering and general rude behavior we endure. We don't get our neighborhood back until they leave for their homes.

The larger concern is the rehabbing of ex-cons and the shady characters lurking throughout the day and night.

One doesn't like the feeling that they're being cased.

These are non-Berwyn residents relocating their business from 59th St., Chicago under the guise of religion. Their arrogant attitude of "this is our neighborhood now" does not help their cause.

It quite possibly is their neighborhood now. These are the types of things that changes neighborhoods - for good or worse; it depends on who you ask.

*we = a collection of households within the general area surrounding 32nd & Clinton.

Bonster

No need to worry:

Quote from: Scouts Honor on August 31, 2009, 09:36:00 PM
I know for a FACT that this is being taken care of by the mayor and BPD.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

Beans,

How often do they gather?  Obviously this is not a "Sunday-only" thing...

Berwyn Patsy

I know, Bonster can attend a session there, (under cover of course)
and can report back to BTF!!
The whole concept of what and who goes there, seems like it
should be a concern to the neighbors.

Scouts Honor

"The whole concept of what and who goes there, seems like it
should be a concern to the neighbors."

I would be concerned if Bons was lurking in my church.
Only John can drive somebody that crazy.

buzz

Quote from: Scouts Honor on September 03, 2009, 01:41:38 PM
Damn...What a mess, legal and otherwise. How special of the
last church to sell to this organization and totally
shaft the neighborhood they served.
Best damn thing you've ever posted.
Bear, since you know for a fact that the mayor and the PD have a plan please share it with us.  We await your guidance.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Berwyn Patsy

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Beans on September 03, 2009, 05:15:33 PM
It is a sticky problem.

I'm not sure.

Let's start with the noise, parking, trash, loitering and general rude behavior we endure. We don't get our neighborhood back until they leave for their homes.

The larger concern is the rehabbing of ex-cons and the shady characters lurking throughout the day and night.

These are non-Berwyn residents relocating their business from 59th St., Chicago under the guise of religion. Their arrogant attitude of "this is our neighborhood now" does not help their cause.

It quite possibly is their neighborhood now. These are the types of things that changes neighborhoods - for good or worse; it depends on who you ask.

*we = a collection of households within the general area surrounding 32nd & Clinton.

It is a sucky situation, wrapped in religion.  Maybe make the area a resident only parking zone?  Although I understand several parking lots are being rented by the church.

Has anyone met with the pastor?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

A.Malina

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on September 03, 2009, 07:36:44 PM
Quote from: Beans on September 03, 2009, 05:15:33 PM
It is a sticky problem.

I'm not sure.

It is a sucky situation, wrapped in religion.  Maybe make the area a resident only parking zone?  Although I understand several parking lots are being rented by the church.

Has anyone met with the pastor?
yes
"I have never killed a man but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

Scouts Honor

Pastor?

Hardly. A money collector at best.

-Mathew State Opportunist Collection Services, LLC
Only John can drive somebody that crazy.

Berwyn GOP

In response to my neighbors I have met with the pastor, the church council and congregation. I have attended their Wednesday evening service (in Spanish), their Friday night service (In English) and their Sunday morning service (In Spanish).

I have been in communication with the Mayor since day one and the Berwyn Police Department. Mayor Lovero and a BPD Rep. will be meeting with me and my neighbors right after Labor Day to address the issues.

The neighbors with the most concerns have been invited (this is being held at a private residence) to sit with the Mayor and we will work out an amicable and workable solution to the various concerns.

Tony Castrogiovanni

Bonster

Quote from: Castrogiovanni  on September 04, 2009, 12:49:08 AM
In response to my neighbors I have met with the pastor, the church council and congregation.

Quote from: re: Castrogiovanni talking about OC's characterization of Berwyn on March 24, 2009, 02:59:23 PM
Says everything O'Connor claimed about the state of the city were embellished half-truths...
i.e.  Castro never felt like he was going to get shot walking the streets...
(must be from South Berwyn)

Yes, South Berwyn.   
Looks like you're getting a small taste of North Berwyn down there in paradise! 

pkd50

Beans

Quote from: Berwyn GOP on September 04, 2009, 12:49:08 AM
In response to my neighbors I have met with the pastor, the church council and congregation. I have attended their Wednesday evening service (in Spanish), their Friday night service (In English) and their Sunday morning service (In Spanish).

I have been in communication with the Mayor since day one and the Berwyn Police Department. Mayor Lovero and a BPD Rep. will be meeting with me and my neighbors right after Labor Day to address the issues.

The neighbors with the most concerns have been invited (this is being held at a private residence) to sit with the Mayor and we will work out an amicable and workable solution to the various concerns.

Tony Castrogiovanni

This we anxiously await.

Stay tuned...

The whole idea here is that folks are aware of what's happening in the 'hood.

Hopefully things can be sorted out.

There are kids in the neighborhood and a school on the block. Why does someone think it's o.k. to start bussing in ex-cons and turning the area upside down just because they can afford the building.

I know the building isn't zoned for residence (yet).

I remember the uproar over the meth clinic. "Not in my neighborhood!"

None of this stuff gets reviewed 'cause they say they're a "church"? Now we're stuck with this crap.

Bonster

"Does that make you happy?"  -pkd50

No, that makes me ill - so typically Berwyn.

pkd50

Oh,sorry.  I thought you were gloating

Bonster

No, just lamenting bullshit Berwyn politics.

Bonster

Quote from: Beans on September 04, 2009, 09:32:39 AM

Hopefully. 

Beans...to an outsider it appears your (and Vic's) complaints always fell on deaf ears down there.

Vic talking about your neighbors holding your block hostage.  The punks who tried to burn your house down.

You were left shrugging your shoulders.

Maybe now that others' Utopian lots are being disrupted they'll pay attention to you.

Beans

Quote from: Bonster on September 04, 2009, 10:24:01 AM
Quote from: Beans on September 04, 2009, 09:32:39 AM

Hopefully. 

Beans...to an outsider it appears your (and Vic's) complaints always fell on deaf ears down there.

Vic talking about your neighbors holding your block hostage.  The punks who tried to burn your house down.

You were left shrugging your shoulders.

Maybe now that others' Utopian lots are being disrupted they'll pay attention to you.

A true opportune moment to make stuff right before things get worse if I say so myself. So far I haven't been too impressed/surprised.

I'd hate to visit the Depot District 5 years from now and say "It's a shame what happened here, it used to be cool."

Yours in fear and loathing,

Beans