News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

How many emergency responders does it take to????

Started by Thor, August 24, 2009, 11:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thor

Did anyone witness the fender bender on Stanley in front of George's last week?
Apparently one of George's patron hit a car while backing out once again. But this time they hit the parking ticket enforcement guy. This little event warranted, and I kid you NOT, 4 Police cars, a Fire truck, the Deputy Fire Commander in his SUV, 2 ambulances and 1 Animal Control van. Why?? What a waste of money. And speaking of waste of money I predict yet another City employee will be going on disability.
Berwyn, City Of Trees or Berwyn, City Of Disability Claims.

I hope the City is ready for Bumfest 2009!!
GEORGE'S TAVERN BLOCK PARTY
SAT Aug 29th  3PM-11PM
6741 Stanley Avenue
Celebrating 69 YEARS of drunkards walking your streets.
FUN FOR ALL
FOOD * BEER * BAND
Stop your whining and think the way I do

~LL~

Quote from: Thor on August 24, 2009, 11:58:30 AM

I hope the City is ready for Bumfest 2009!!

Celebrating 69 YEARS of drunkards walking your streets.

Once again also sorry this is what commuters will see as they pass through our fair city that day/every day... and what close-by residents have to endure regularly.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

dukesdad

Quotewhat commuters will see

George's doesn't look bad from the outside. Looks like any other corner tavern you'd see in the city.

Thor

Actually the bar doesn't look that bad, its no OOT but it doesn't pretend to be either.
What really makes it look bad is its clientel. Drive past there on a Sunday morning before noon and you will see old men lined up waiting to get in the joint. There has been numerous accidents from these guys leaving the bar. If you sit in the corner restuarant for a while looking out the window it looks like a parade of stroke victims coming in and out of that bar. No offense to stroke victims.
Should be an interesting block party this weekend.

Classof67

Thor...

The turn out for the parking enforcement guy that was injured by the patron leaving George's was probably considered "officer down".  I think they were responding not knowing what awaited them.  Don't understand the waste of money comment if they were all on duty. 

If the patron failed the field sobriety and is found guilty of drunk driving, the city should take away George's license. 

Thor

Quote from: Classof67 on August 24, 2009, 03:39:39 PM
Thor...

The turn out for the parking enforcement guy that was injured by the patron leaving George's was probably considered "officer down".  I think they were responding not knowing what awaited them.  Don't understand the waste of money comment if they were all on duty. 

If the patron failed the field sobriety and is found guilty of drunk driving, the city should take away George's license. 
If a fender bender can be considered "officer down" then they need to come up with a more descriptive coding system because having 9 vehicles respond and then sit there for at least a 1/2 hour is a waste of money.
BTW all these vehicles did not show up at the same time, first the 4 police cars, then about 5 minutes later the fire truck then about 5 minutes later the Fire commander, then 5 more minute the 2 ambulances and not sure when or even why animal control was there. Couldn't someone have called in and said its not an officer down?
Not sure how George's stays in business but I have witnessed 3 accidents within the last 3 years. One was a hit and run where the victim chased the drunkard down and beat the crap out of him on 31st and Euclid.
Ah good times!!

falcon

Thor, although the police were on the scene first, the Deputy arrived about 30 seconds before the engine company, followed by the ambulances right after the engine company.  Your times are not accurate.  The reason for all the squads probably had something to do with a city vehicle involved in an accident.  Protocol requires certain levels of management to show up to this kind of an incident on the police side.  As far as the fire side is concerned, any accident that is dispatched to the fire side requires an ALS ambulance, BLS ambulance, an engine, and a Deputy Chief.  The driver in the car that was hit was having a hard time getting out of the car so fire personnel remained on the scene to make sure that he could get out due to the damage to the driver side door and make sure that physically he was alright.  There are other reasons for the response to accidents, but not enough time to go into them.  Fire personnel due get called off on certain accidents, but I am sure that due to the fact that the driver could not get out of the car because the other car was rammed into the door had something to do with the length of time they remained on the scene. The officers needed to take pictures to document the accident.  This takes time.  If my relative was hit I would want them to be sure that everything was alright before they left.  I hope this helps you understand a little better.

Crunchie

Quote from: Thor on August 24, 2009, 03:02:55 PM
Drive past there on a Sunday morning before noon and you will see old men lined up waiting to get in the joint.
Somebody should tell them that they can't get in until Mickey's big hand is on the twelve.

Bonster

Quote from: dukesdad on August 24, 2009, 01:43:52 PM
Quotewhat commuters will see

George's doesn't look bad from the outside. Looks like any other corner tavern you'd see in the city.
Doesn't look bad from the inside, either.

Quote from: Classof67 on August 24, 2009, 03:39:39 PM
Why?  George wasn't driving.

Quote from: falcon on August 24, 2009, 06:41:21 PM
As far as the fire side is concerned, any accident that is dispatched to the fire side requires an ALS ambulance, BLS ambulance, an engine, and a Deputy Chief.  
Advanced Life Support bambalance, Basic Life Support bambalance.  See?  I paid attn. in CFA!

Quote from: Crunchie on August 24, 2009, 10:43:16 PM
Quote from: Thor on August 24, 2009, 03:02:55 PM
Drive past there on a Sunday morning before noon and you will see old men lined up waiting to get in the joint.
Somebody should tell them that they can't get in until Mickey's big hand is on the twelve.
LOL Crunchie!!!!!!!!!  omg

SAT Aug 29th  3PM-11PM
6741 Stanley Avenue
Celebrating 69 YEARS
FUN FOR ALL
FOOD * BEER * BAND
shweet!  Honey, are we doing anything Saturday?!
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Classof67

Quote from: Crunchie on August 24, 2009, 10:43:16 PM

I always wondered what Mickey was up to at 6:30?  Watch those hands...

Thor

Quote from: falcon on August 24, 2009, 06:41:21 PM
Thor, although the police were on the scene first, the Deputy arrived about 30 seconds before the engine company, followed by the ambulances right after the engine company.  Your times are not accurate.  The reason for all the squads probably had something to do with a city vehicle involved in an accident.  Protocol requires certain levels of management to show up to this kind of an incident on the police side.  As far as the fire side is concerned, any accident that is dispatched to the fire side requires an ALS ambulance, BLS ambulance, an engine, and a Deputy Chief.  The driver in the car that was hit was having a hard time getting out of the car so fire personnel remained on the scene to make sure that he could get out due to the damage to the driver side door and make sure that physically he was alright.  There are other reasons for the response to accidents, but not enough time to go into them.  Fire personnel due get called off on certain accidents, but I am sure that due to the fact that the driver could not get out of the car because the other car was rammed into the door had something to do with the length of time they remained on the scene. The officers needed to take pictures to document the accident.  This takes time.  If my relative was hit I would want them to be sure that everything was alright before they left.  I hope this helps you understand a little better.
I appreciate your explaination but also dispute your times. I was standing on the corner watching this unfold. You make it sound like everyone arrived within 5 minutes of the first police car and that is just not the case. And as neccesary as you say all these resource were for a drunk ass moran that backed into the driver side door of a city vehicle going no more than 5 mph I was not the only Berwyn citizen standing there scratching their head.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

What are the hours of operation for this fine, upstanding gin mill anyway?

falcon

I said that the police units were on the scene first.  I never said that the fire units were there as fast as the police units.  The fire units all arrived at approximately the same time.  I do not know the time between the police arriving and when the fire units arrived and I never said I did.  I think you will see that if you reread my original statement.  I never mentioned any time difference of the arrival of police and fire just that the fire units all arrived at approximately the same time.  Sorry you misunderstood.  I guess my expanation didn`t help because you still seem amazed at the response.  That`s your perogative, but if you ever need these people maybe you will understand.

Bonster

Quote from: falcon on August 25, 2009, 09:01:07 AM
I guess my expanation didn`t help because you still seem amazed at the response.  That`s your perogative, but if you ever need these people maybe you will understand.

+1

Our guys kick serious ass considering all the crap they deal with around here.

Thanks for the good work, falcon.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

OakParkSpartan

Falcon,

Why do they dispatch both an ALS and a BLS?  Does it have to do with what level of support is needed to transport the victim and the limited number of ambulances available?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

BerwynBuffy

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on August 25, 2009, 08:52:10 AM
What are the hours of operation for this fine, upstanding gin mill anyway?

24 hours a day from the looks of it.
The first Metra train is at 5:30 AM and there are "people" in there drinking and walking out with packaged goods! I've seen it more times than I can remember.
Just because the window lights are off doesn't mean they are closed.
Over Taxed, Over Worked and Under Paid = America!

billyjean

Thor (Did anyone witness the fender bender on Stanley in front of George's last week?)

Haven't you heard?  The IVB lost.  The plan by Weiner to oust George's and turn it into a condo was foiled.  Give it up already on George's.  It's an old time bar, like thousands around the Chicagoland area.  A drunk getting in a car and getting into a fender bender or accident of any kind is possible ANYWHERE liquor is served, even at someone's house.

Do you have any complaints about Salernos?  What's going on over there?  No drunks leaving there, I'm sure.  Let's hear about that.

falcon

Falcon,

Why do they dispatch both an ALS and a BLS?  Does it have to do with what level of support is needed to transport the victim and the limited number of ambulances available?

It is basically done because the seriousness of a patients injuries at an accident scene is unknown.  Police officers are not medics and can not make a diagnosis.  If a patient needs CPR or drugs pushed it takes two medics two provide care.  Someone needs to drive so a BLS EMT can drive the rig while the other EMT follows with the BLS ambulance.  The ALS crew is free to work on the patient.  This is one example.  It is better to be prepared for the worst upon arrival, instead of waiting for another ambulance to be dispatched and wasting valuable time.  This is not always the case.  If both ambulances are not needed, depending on the situation, one of the ambulances can be released and put back into service as soon as possibe.  I hope this helps

Thor

Quote from: billyjean on August 25, 2009, 12:04:41 PM
Thor (Did anyone witness the fender bender on Stanley in front of George's last week?)

Haven't you heard?  The IVB lost.  The plan by Weiner to oust George's and turn it into a condo was foiled.  Give it up already on George's.  It's an old time bar, like thousands around the Chicagoland area.  A drunk getting in a car and getting into a fender bender or accident of any kind is possible ANYWHERE liquor is served, even at someone's house.

Do you have any complaints about Salernos?  What's going on over there?  No drunks leaving there, I'm sure.  Let's hear about that.

What the F*&%* does IVB have to do with me or even this thread? Just because I thought OC was and would be a better Mayor than the invisible man we now have has nothing to do with this subject. Also not sure what Salernos has to do with this either, they no longer have an after-hours nite club and haven't for a while. You obviously are going to Bear's School of Topic Avoidance 101.

Also to be clear I am NOT complaining about the Police force or our fantastic Fire dept. I was asking about the feasibility and resource management of having so many units respond to a fender bender. I still do not think all this man power was necessary and if one of my family members ever need help I would think 1 police car, a fire truck depending on the severity and more importantly an ambulance would be suffice.
Sorry Falcon not criticizing anyone's work once they were there.

Classof67

But this time they hit the parking ticket enforcement guy. This little event warranted, and I kid you NOT, 4 Police cars, a Fire truck, the Deputy Fire Commander in his SUV, 2 ambulances and 1 Animal Control van. Why?? What a waste of money. And speaking of waste of money I predict yet another City employee will be going on disability.

Are you referring to the injured "ticket enforcement guy" as "yet another employee...going on disability"?
Wow, "I hope he's okay" would have been nice to add. 

Hope he's okay.

Quote from: Thor on August 25, 2009, 12:34:45 PM
Also to be clear I am NOT complaining about the Police force or our fantastic Fire dept. I was asking about the feasibility and resource management of having so many units respond to a fender bender. I still do not think all this man power was necessary and if one of my family members ever need help I would think 1 police car, a fire truck depending on the severity and more importantly an ambulance would be suffice.
Sorry Falcon not criticizing anyone's work once they were there.

Oh, puhleez... :fiveoh:

Back peddling is an art! 

Maybe Bear could show you how to put that to good use on one of the many trails where he rides.