News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

DD parking garage

Started by Scouts Honor, September 07, 2009, 09:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n01_important

oh boy... now we got the peanut gallery going.   ;D

Although sex shops disguised as "relaxation centers for men" won't be a bad idea.   :oink: :666:
Stupid fuck

BRoWN

Quote from: n01_important on December 12, 2009, 03:38:20 PM
oh boy... now we got the peanut gallery going.   ;D

Although sex shops disguised as "relaxation centers for men" won't be a bad idea.   :oink: :666:
Massage parlor. 

Ted

Quote from: BRoWN on December 12, 2009, 03:35:24 PM
"medical marijuana" dispensary 

Yeah, right next to the methadone clinic... <LOL>

n01_important

Quote from: BRoWN on December 12, 2009, 03:40:06 PM
Quote from: n01_important on December 12, 2009, 03:38:20 PM
oh boy... now we got the peanut gallery going.   ;D

Although sex shops disguised as "relaxation centers for men" won't be a bad idea.   :oink: :666:
Massage parlor. 

We can bring in Acorn to help us set it up.   :D
Stupid fuck

OakParkSpartan

Maybe Pat Ryan's plan for removing snow wasn't all that crazy.  Watch till the very end.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/videobeta/?watchId=6fd2b219-4f38-49a7-a615-e262c792972b
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Homebody

I was cleaning off my desk and found a Trib article I pulled about the need for electric charging stations for the new Nissan Leaf and other electric vehicles that will soon be mass produced. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-08-23/classified/ct-biz-0824-electric-cars-new-20100823_1_nissan-s-leaf-electric-cars-electric-vehicles I hope I linked this correctly. Why not put a few of these charging stations in our Depot parking garage? Just a thought. What do you think? Marge

Berwyn Patsy

I wonder how many people who park in the DD garage would be owning an electric
car?
     What would the cost of installing these stations and running them cost the city?

jfrickind

You could always charge extra for that spot.  I drove an electricncar for a short while and would just charge with a normal plug which most garages have already.

0.2% of the population that park in the garage will have an electric plug in car - assuming there is an electric car show once a year.

JD

Homebody

Don't know the cost of installing a charging station yet. The article in the Trib stated that it would take 20 hours to charge a car using a regular outlet and around 8 house using a charging station. Drive in to Berwyn, plug in, go to work on the train, eat dinner in Berwyn, drive around doing errands on your way home, plug bach in when you park in your garage. I can see it happening; Berwyn: The Emerald (Green) City. Marge

OakParkSpartan

I wonder what pilot programs are out there?

I don't know if there is a standardized charging specification, but this looks interesting (and the cost seems reasonable):  http://gas2.org/2010/05/27/nissan-plans-on-selling-an-inexpensive-under-30-minute-fast-charging-station-in-the-u-s/
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

rbain

I just saw an ad (G.E.?) touting the new (or coming, wasn't paying too much attention...) charging stations that look almost like a parking meter that you can plug into.

(Sorry, I tried to come up with a few more parenthetical comments, but couldn't...)
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

Good Time Charlie

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on September 29, 2010, 06:04:59 PM
car?
     What would the cost of installing these stations and running them cost the city?

Maybe not many right now, but God forbid if Berwyn was ever ahead of the curve on anything. What would we do??

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on September 29, 2010, 06:04:59 PM
car?

I'd never think that these would be free charging stations, but rather pay as you go charging stations.

Homebody

There was another article in Thursday's Trib about the need for charging stations. I have also been seeing a lot of the GE commercials. There is a large cluster of hybrid car owners who live in and near Oak Park. Also the car-share IGo cars will be electric. The idea is not the there will be a lot of electric car owners in Berwyn. The idea is that the market will certainly be growing. Why not attract those who do own the cars to come into Berwyn and conveniently plug in while they are at work?

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Homebody on October 01, 2010, 02:29:12 PM
There was another article in Thursday's Trib about the need for charging stations. I have also been seeing a lot of the GE commercials. There is a large cluster of hybrid car owners who live in and near Oak Park. Also the car-share IGo cars will be electric. The idea is not the there will be a lot of electric car owners in Berwyn. The idea is that the market will certainly be growing. Why not attract those who do own the cars to come into Berwyn and conveniently plug in while they are at work?

Has anyone looked into getting iGo or zipcar to place cars in Berwyn?  I know they have several locations up in Oak Park presently.

LOL

I have a friend who just ordered a Leaf and she's going to plug it into her solar panels at home! Maybe someday I'll do the same. For now, I'm just happy to mow the lawn this way (with our old Sunbeam mower)!
The word gullible isn't in the dictionary?

Bonster

Quote from: LOL on October 02, 2010, 02:47:33 PM
For now, I'm just happy to mow the lawn this way (with our old Sunbeam mower)!

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

pkd50

I want to have lunch at the Garlic Clove this week.  I'm guessing that street parking won't be an option at lunch time.  Is the parking structure 2 bucks, pay in advance?

n01_important

Charging stations and electric cars are for those that disdain the environment and like to screw their fellow tax payers.

Two reasons:
- Electricity doesn't grow on trees... 50% of it is burned from coal in the US (IL is somewhat special where most comes from nuclear where it's all good until you have to dump the nuclear waste).  Plus the energy lost from point of creation to POU is about 5-10 times before you use it in the car.  (Electric cars sheeples will tout the near 100% efficiency only at POU).
- A large percentage of the gas tax is used for roads.  Current system with electric cars doesn't have anyway for you to pay your fair share for road maintenance.

Long term, love the idea... as we migrate from traditional carbon-based fuels to new fuels, we need a way to convert that back to one common source and fed into an efficient grid.  Traditional fuels are built on a "single source to multiple distribution".  In the new world, it will be "multiple sources to multiple distributions".  That way the automobile manufactures can make cars for every market versus having to make different cars for various local fuels (Brazil - sugar can ethanol, US - corn ethanol, Europe - diesel, etc..).

But today and at least for another decade or two... buy an electric car and it's like pissing on mother nature.

no1
Stupid fuck

jfrickind

Quote from: n01_important on May 22, 2011, 05:23:45 PM

- Electricity doesn't grow on trees... 50% of it is burned from coal in the US (IL is somewhat special where most comes from nuclear where it's all good until you have to dump the nuclear waste).  Plus the energy lost from point of creation to POU is about 5-10 times before you use it in the car.  (Electric cars sheeples will tout the near 100% efficiency only at POU).

no1

People always throw this out there - "electricity isn't a clean fuel because it's made with coal/nuclear energy/wind turbines that kill birds with their metal mined in yadda yadda".  Or the drop in efficiency because the utility companies refuse to update their OLD systems unless the users will pay for it (God forbid they dip into their profits).  But you have the same things with the current gasoline - that oil is refined which takes - ENERGY.  That gasoline is shipped everywhere which takes - MORE GASOLINE.  The arguments against electric cars are the same that can be made against the gas burners we have now.

JD