News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Windows 7 ?

Started by buzz, September 20, 2009, 04:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n01_important

Has anyone upgraded to W7?  How has the experience been?  Is all the hype about it true?
Stupid fuck

Mr. Daniel Lumis

Upgraded from XP to Snow Leopard. It's like paying off all of your credit cards at once...

n01_important

Stupid fuck

OakParkSpartan

I've not gone to snow leopard yet.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

n01_important

You will like Snow Leopard... faster and uses less memory.  Cheap to upgrade from Leopard, $30.

I tried Windows 7 (via a virtual machine on the Mac)... initial observation... it's OK.  But my opinion is tainted because "OK" means "it's more like a mac os than XP was". :-)

But the price... $200 was a little too much.  I think upgrades were $115 or something like that.  It was hard to find the full version... the sales people kept wanting to give me the upgrade version.
Stupid fuck

watcher

Quote from: n01_important on January 03, 2010, 09:26:54 AM
You will like Snow Leopard... faster and uses less memory.  Cheap to upgrade from Leopard, $30.

I tried Windows 7 (via a virtual machine on the Mac)... initial observation... it's OK.  But my opinion is tainted because "OK" means "it's more like a mac os than XP was". :-)

But the price... $200 was a little too much.  I think upgrades were $115 or something like that.  It was hard to find the full version... the sales people kept wanting to give me the upgrade version.

Anecdotal:

A friend "upgraded" to a Mac this Christmas. I've spent 15 years helping him recover from the "bugs" that have infested his systems over the years. Most of the problems were easily found and fixed, but over time it was clear that 99.9% of the problems were user related. His wife and kids found inventive ways to overcome any and all instructions related to NOT opening unsolicited links, attachments, phishing URLs and other obvious red flags.

He called yesterday asking for help with his new MAC. Something was causing it to hang, crash or otherwise not do what was intended.
I told him to look for something common to both O/Ss. Nice guy, except for a bad Power Supply all of his past problems were user-generated. I doubt the MAC will change that much and I shudder to think of them flexing Linux.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

buzz

Just an FYI.
  One of the talking heads on TV stated that Windows 7 had sold 60million copies.  The fastest, most successful, software release in history.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Vic0218

I'm now using it at work and on a new home computer.  Windows 7 is more intuitive from a pure user perspective but I'm still on the learning curve. Definite improvements with performance and start up speed. If anyone has any cool tips, please list them out!
"Inside every older person is a younger person - wondering what the hell happened" - Cora Harvey Armstrong

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: n01_important on January 03, 2010, 09:26:54 AM

Do you use VMWare or Parallels? 
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

n01_important

Parallels.  From all I could read, there isn't any difference between them.
Stupid fuck