Sermons from "The Old Rev" Mark Matthews - Concordia Lutheran Church Berwyn

Started by Juliet, May 03, 2005, 06:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juliet

Showing love as a husband and a Father isn't always easy. There's the story of the Dad staying home with his 18 month old daughter. While watching T.V. the daughter came with her little tea set to have "tea" with her Dad. She came in with a cup of "tea" for dad that was of course, only water. Dad drank the "tea" and made a fuss over how wonderful it was. This happened over and over again with Dad telling her how great her "tea" was every time. The little girl was so proud of herself. Finally Mom came home, surveyed what was going on and started to laugh hysterically. Dad drank some more "tea" and Mom commented, "Did it ever occur to you that the only place a baby can reach to get water is in the toilet?"  Good Daddy!

The role of fathers or father-figures in the lives of children has become more and more important over the years. With the divorce rate going up, for lots of reasons, kids need a strong Christian male in their lives. Studies show that when Mom and Dad worship with the children, 72% of the children remain faithful. When it's only Mom, and God bless them, it's only 15%. Dads can make a difference.

Paul writes to the Christians at Corinth in 1 Corinthians 4 that he knows they have guardians and teachers to care for them, but that he has come to be a father to them. He knows that being their father is most important to their spiritual growth. Our Lord Jesus was always in contact with His Heavenly Father through prayer. His Heavenly Father spoke to Jesus and told Him how proud He was to be Jesus' Father.  Words of encouragement are important.  Encouragement from our father is special.

I was blessed with a loving father who was a great role model for the 17 years I had him. Dad taught me to play sports, about the Funeral business, the importance of reaching out to people who were hurting, and the importance of worship and involvement in the Church. I will always be thankful that he was my Dad.

Our world is often a very sad and negative-minded place. Around us we see death and dying. We see wars, violence, senseless pain and hurt, suffering and loss. We see loneliness, homeless people, and  children starving for food and love. The need is greater than ever for people to hear that God does love them. They need to hear that Jesus came to die for their sins, bringing forgiveness and a new life and new hope. God the Father cares for all of His children, listens to them, responds to them, forgives them through the death and resurrection of Jesus, His Son, and offers a heavenly home through faith worked in us by the Holy Spirit. We all reflect our Heavenly Father's love as we share that message.

What message are we giving when we are too busy to care...too tied up at work for good-night hug...too insecure to sing "Jesus Loves me'" to a little one? Because God is Good...All The Time, He has given us the responsibility to be His hands, His feet, His voice to a world of hurting children. That's what making disciples is all about. He wants us to be like the pastor who had a young boy from a broken home in his parish. The boy would come late for church and leave early. He felt that being fatherless made him insecure and less of a person. One Sunday the pastor tricked him with a quick Benediction. Waiting for the child at the back, the pastor asked the boy who he was. No answer was given. Then the pastor patted him on the head and said, "Wait, I know. You're a child of God!" That makes you very special." The boy's life was changed forever by a man who didn't have to drink toilet water to make it happen. 
Amen..pastor matthews
Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6

Juliet

A story is told of a Kindergarten teacher playing a "pop-up" game with her children. They were pretending to be pop corn popping up during the song. She noticed one little boy didn't pop-up; he just stayed crouched down. "Why aren't you popping up?" she asked. "Because," the boy answered, "I'm just burning on the bottom of the pan."  In our world today, there are many people we know and those we don't know, who are burning on the bottom of the pan of life. There are people burning up in guilt, worry, fear, sadness, loneliness, death, hunger, and pain.

Knowing that would be true throughout history, Jesus told His disciples the importance of giving a cup of cold water to someone in need. This cup of cold water can be given in many ways. This could be a cup of comfort or a cup that is Christ Jesus Himself... God can use these cups of love in many ways.

Giving begins with looking up in faith. Knowing we have a Savior Who died and rose for us is the motivation to reach out to others as a way of saying "Thank You" to Jesus. A substitute Sunday School teacher couldn't open the combination lock on the supply cabinet so she called the Pastor. The Pastor began with a number or two then he looked up towards heaven. He then finished the numbers and opened the lock. "I am in awe of your faith, Pastor" she said. "Really," he answered, "It's nothing. The numbers are on a piece of tape on the ceiling." To accomplish what God has for us begins with looking up. God has the answer up there for you. 

A women's church group was sending a large box of clothes to a Missionary and his family. They had all the sizes just right so everyone in the family would get something. One day a member came by with her husband's new coat that he didn't like. "Send this" she told the ladies. It wasn't the right size, but they needed something as packing material to wrap around the other gifts in the box, so it was included. Later on they received a "thank you" from the Missionary with special mention of the "miracle" coat. It seemed a homeless man came to their door, freezing. They invited him in and discovered that the coat used for packing was a perfect fit for this man in need. The ladies had sent a "cup of water" that was a real blessing used by God.

Vacation Bible School is a perfect time for cups of water to be given. Our Staff gives out "cups of water" to these children in the form of Bible stories, crafts, and even freeze pops, and Kool-Aid. Hearing these children sing about Jesus that there couldn't be anybody Else Who is our Savior is wonderful. They are learning Bible verses that will stay with them for a lifetime. They have adults around who value them, listen to them, praise them, and tell them that God made them special. During the tornado alert, the Staff members were with their children, giving hugs and words of hope. Lots of cups of cold water God could use. I even had a VBS Mom talk with me about having her P-K daughter Baptized. This is another "cup of water" God used.

A cup of cold water could be just that to a parched throat. Because God Is Good...All The Time, a cup of cold water could be the Good News of Jesus Himself Who died and rose to forgive the sins of a person burning in the bottom of the pan of life. A simple act of faith and love can help others "pop-up" in joy and hope. How wonderful to have God using your "cup of water" to bless one of His children.  Amen..pastor matthews
Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6

Juliet

I have in my hand a $20 bill. If I give it to a child, it's worth $20. If I give it to a man or woman, it's worth $20. As we read the parable of the Sower and the Seed, we see that this is true for the seed, as well as God's Word. Wherever the seed lands, it has power inside to grow. Wherever God's Word lands, through the Holy Spirit, there is power to change lives.

As we study the parable, I believe that the Sower could be our Lord Jesus. In His ministry, He threw God's Word all over the place. He threw God's Word of hope and salvation to Pharisees and Scribes who didn't care, to the prostitutes, tax collectors, the lame, the blind, and even lepers. Like the parable tells us, some didn't listen and for others it gave a new life. Jesus now tells us that he wants us to do the same and just throw it out there.

Sad to say, our sinful nature holds us back. We want the right time and the right people. We worry we'll say something wrong, look bad, and mess up. Jesus tells us to just throw it out there and He'll take it from there. After all, as someone said, "It's better to wear out for the Lord than rust out." A little rusty here today is it?

While on vacation, we went out on Lake Wawasee with the Staubus family. After a couple hours, it was time to get back to shore. On the way, Capt. Noal saw a boat in distress. A sailboat had capsized and the three on board were in trouble. Without hesitation, Noal went over, took the rope, and towed them to home. Their home was on the other side of the Lake. In spite of the cost and the time, Noal reached out to help. I was very proud of him and the lesson he taught his children about reaching out to those in need regardless of the inconvenience. The ride back to the other side was fast. I was in front on the port side. One time we actually flew in the air and the landing shot my kidney out my ear!

Our Lord tells us in Luke 9:23 to deny ourselves, take up His cross, and follow Him. This is true on a boat or in our homes, restaurants, baseball games, etc. The world always points us in another direction that thinks of ourselves first. Proverbs 14:12 reminds us that there is a way that seems right to man, but it leads to death. Jesus wasn't politically correct and we can't worry about that either.

It's time to step up and step out for our Lord. Get crazy for His Kingdom! Become a Jesus Freak! Just toss God's Word out there!  While on vacation, we did a lot of tossing. We talked with an Amish man about the Bible, KJV only, and worship; they worship every other Sunday for 3 hours. We met a young man who was serving us for dinner at Amish Acres. His name was Daniel. We were the last out and we talked about where we were from, the fact that I was a Pastor, and suddenly, WOW! Daniel shared that he was a music minister at a church. We talked Christian music, faith, Jesus! He told us he found a church that had Council Meetings with two coolers of beverages. One cooler had pop and water, and the second had beer. I offered to bee their pastor on the spot! A few days later we had tickets for a show "Plain and Fancy" and all of a sudden realized that one of the stars was Daniel. We later talked, exchanged e-mails, met his wife, hugged and "God Blessed" each other; all from tossing out God's Word at dinner.

Because God Is Good...All The Time, He wants us to toss it out there. Sin turns us in on ourselves, while faith in Jesus Who died and rose for our salvation, leads us to turn out to others. This is worth a lot more than $20. amen..pastor matthews.

Juliet

In 1953 reporters and dignitaries gathered at a Chicago train station to welcome the 1952 Nobel Peace prize winner. As the man stepped from the train, flashbulbs popped, questions were thrown his way, and city officials approached to greet him. Suddenly he politely asked to be excused for a moment. He saw an elderly woman struggling with her suitcases so he went over, picked them up, helped her to her bus, and wished her a safe journey. He returned to the crowd and apologized. This man was Dr. Albert Schweitzer, the missionary doctor who had spent many years helping the poor in Africa. One person from the reception committee said to a reporter, "That's the first time I ever saw a sermon walking." A sermon walking is what the Christian life is all about. Seeing God's Word and Will in action beyond the church building is a sermon walking.

In Matthew 14, Peter shows his friends a sermon walking as he climbs out of the boat, looks at Jesus in faith and walks on the water. This sermon was cut short as Peter took his eyes off his Lord, looked down at the water, and sank. Faith kept his sermon walking afloat, while doubts got him wet.

A story is told of three ministers out fishing. One forgot his sunscreen, so he climbed out of the boat, walked on the water to shore, got the sunscreen, and walked back to the boat. The second minister had forgotten his favorite fishing hat, so he climbed out of the boat, walked on the water to shore, got the hat and walked back to the boat. The third minister figured his faith was a strong as theirs, so he climbed out of the boat and sank to the bottom. He floated back up spitting out water and climbed back into the boat. Frustrated, he climbed out to try it again and again sank to the bottom. He floated back up and was helped back into the boat. At this point minister #1 said to #2, "Before he drowns, should we tell him where the rocks are?"

Before we become sermons walking, not only do we have to know where the rocks are, but we need clean feet too. When Jesus washed the disciples' feet on Maundy Thursday, we read in John 13 that Jesus not only showed them the humility of a walking sermon, but also told them that unless He washed them they have no part with Him. Jesus doesn't want pew Christians with smelly feet, He wants to wash us with His blood on the cross and lead us out of this building to be sermons walking to the world. Jesus died on the cross to wipe away our sins, and gives us Baptism to assure us of that washing.

Because God is Good...All The Time, He promises us that as we repent of our sins and trust in Jesus as our Lord and Savior, we have been washed and are ready to go out as sermons walking. Sermons walking can show up in the strangest places; at work, at school, in hospitals or nursing homes, and on vacations. Walking sermons can be seen with people running or walking, using walkers or crutches, wheelchairs or canes; walking & rolling if you will. Sermons walking are found wherever God's people share and show the love of Jesus to others. When we go out and share our faith and our love, it shows we know where the rocks are, and the Rock of Ages, Jesus, Who will keep us afloat every step of the way. Amen...pastor matthews

Juliet

I love the story of the Canaanite woman in Matthew 15. This lady is a typical mom with a strong faith and a great desire to care for her daughter. I've always felt that there is a special bond between moms and children, grandmoms and grandchildren. I know that if you mess with my kids, you mess with me. If you mess with my grandkids, you mess with me. But, if you mess with Mrs. Matthews' kids or grandkids, she will be all over you like white on rice! That's our lady in today's lesson. Her daughter has a demon and she knows just where to go for healing; to Jesus. First she has to get His attention and that's not easy.

There is a story of a couple waking in the middle of the night as they saw lights and heard noise in their shed. They called the police, not police in our area, but were told there was no car available. They waited a minute and the wife called the police, identified herself as the one with burglars in the shed and told them not to hurry, her husband had shot them. Within minutes five police cars arrived and the burglars were captured. The officer asked them, "I thought you said you had shot them?" "We thought you said there were no cars available" Like the woman in our story, you have to get peoples attention.

This Canaanite lady came out of the crowd calling to Jesus. Jesus certainly heard but was testing her faith. She then knelt before Jesus pleading for a healing. Because Jews at that time thought of Canaanites as dogs, Jesus tugs her chain by saying the food for children shouldn't go to dogs. In faith she replied that even dogs deserve scraps. Our Lord was very impressed with her faith. Jesus told the lady, "Great is your faith." I don't remember Jesus saying that about His disciples, do you?

In this story, we learn the importance of persistence in faith and prayer. We have a Savior Who loves us. He died for our sins, and wants to hear from us. The letters P.U.S.H. tell us to Pray Until Something Happens. As Scripture tells us, we ask, seek, and knock in prayer to our Lord, knowing He will always do what is best for us because God is Good...All The Time.

Humble faith reaching out to our Lord each day is what God wants from His children. We need Jesus; it's as simple as that! Humility tells Jesus that we know that to be true. Like the woman, we kneel before Him in faith.

The problem comes when our egos get in the way. We can do this, we can do that. Why should I ask God for help when I can handle it myself, our sinful nature asks. A number of years ago Quincy Jones got some big name talent together for a song "We Are The World." This song raised some 63 million dollars for people in need here and abroad. Because there was so much talent like Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, Willie Nelson, and others, it is said that Quincy put a sign over the door of the recording studio that said, "CHECK YOUR EGO AT THE DOOR." This song would be a team effort with no "star."

As we entered worship this weekend, you might have noticed the same sign over the door. Trusting in Jesus as Lord and Savior, knowing we need Him each and every day, we learn from the Canaanite woman that Jesus is always there to help us as we kneel in faith, but first, "check your ego at the door " . Amen...pastor matthews

Juliet

I read a story this week about a church that wanted to increase their attendance so they hired a powerful advertising agency to come in and make recommendations. After lots of research they came to one conclusion; get rid of all the crosses in the church. They figured that crosses gave a negative message to young people who might worship. Take away the cross from a church and it becomes like a meeting room at a Holiday Inn.

Their recommendation is one of those politically correct responses we see around us. We are told not to pray the Lord's Prayer in public, not to place mangers at Christmas, not to take the Bible as truth, not to believe that God created the world, and to preach watered-down sermons without the need for the cross. The world wants an easy going, non-threatening religion that's easy to take. Fast and easy is what we're all about.

Comedian Yakov Smirnoff tells of his early days in America. "On my first shopping trip I saw powdered milk – you just add water and you get milk. I saw powdered orange juice – you just add water and you have orange juice. Then I saw baby powder, and thought to myself, what a country!" I guess we'd like a powdered religion we could find in a store; add a little wine, and BAM, forgiveness. Doesn't work that way; we need the cross.

As we read the Word of God this weekend in Matthew 16, Jesus tells His disciples to follow Him, not the ways of the world. Take up the cross, not hide it or get rid of it, but take it up and follow Him. Please notice that the cross has two sides; one with Jesus hanging there and the other, the empty side, reminding us that Jesus has risen. Crucified – Risen...Crucified - Risen. One side tells of pain while the other tells of the peace we have. One side shows evil while the other eternity. One side is sad while the other shows security. One side is bloody while the other a blessing, and one side of loss and the other of love.

The cross of Christ is at the center of it all. Jesus took our many sins upon Himself so His blood could wash them away and bring all who believe in Him forgiveness and new life on earth and in heaven. The cross is there to tell each of us that we are loved and no matter what we've ever done, Jesus is there to forgive us and welcome us into His family. The cross is God's message given for you, to you, promising that He will never let you go. The cross shows us that God loves each of us so much, He was willing to sacrifice His Only Son so we could have a home with Him in heaven.

Because God Is Good...All The Time, He holds up the cross and tells us that when we are in pain, there is peace with Jesus. When we have done evil, forgiveness and eternity awaits. When we are sad, we have the security in His arms. When life leaves us bloody and beat up, He is there to bless us. And when we face a loss, He is there with His love. None of this would be ours without the cross. Do you want to get rid of that? Amen...pastor matthews

Juliet

With this being my last sermon as your Pastor; not my last sermon and hopefully not my last sermon with you, but simply my last as Pastor I have a story of a Pastor who had trouble with the Organist. Every time he would preach, the organist would play something contrary to the message. For instance, he would preach on tithing and the organist played "Jesus Paid it All." He preached against gossip and the organist played "I Love To Tell The Story." He became disgusted and threatened to quit. The organist played "Oh, Why Not Tonight?" Finally, he had enough and resigned. He told the congregation that Jesus had brought him there and now Jesus was taking him away. With that, the organist played, "What A Friend We Have In Jesus." You never know what Carol might do today, so I thought having Praise and Promise was a wise choice.

There is a story of a Pastor on a flight back from a Conference. Things started to get rough on the flight and it was announced that everyone should get to their seats and buckle up. It got rougher and rougher, with the plane dropping and rolling. People were crying out, screaming, praying, and holding on. During it all, he noticed the little girl next to him calmly sitting in her seat playing with her doll. While others were in a panic, she was calm and cool. Finally, he leaned over and asked her why she could be so calm with things were so scary. She answered, "My Daddy is the Pilot and he's taking me home."

The message I have for all of us today is that we face a rough ride in life and as things get scary, remember that your Daddy is the Pilot and He's taking you home. God, our heavenly Father, our Daddy, is always in control and He's guiding each of us through this life until He takes us to our heavenly home. In Joshua 1:9 our loving God assures us "Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

Let's face it, the ride can get rough. God doesn't promise smooth sailing, He only promises that He'll get us through. We see rough weather all around in various forms. We look at the weather; earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding, heat, or parched earth. We see war and tension all around in foreign lands and at home as we approach 9-11. Families struggle with illness; broken bones, Cancer, Alzheimer's, heart troubles, and much more. We work harder for less money. The bills and the stress pile up for many of us in this economy. Families face Empty Nests, kids in trouble, and husbands and wives on totally different pages in life.  Troubles come to us from others and we bring them upon ourselves.

Because God is Good – All The Time, He isn't surprised by these troubles; that's why He sent Jesus to die for us on the cross in the first place. God knew what we would face and that we would need the right aircraft to travel through it all. Instead of a Boeing 747, God sent Jesus with a John 316. As we ride on Jesus through faith, He will carry us through all the storms. He died and rose to win the victory over all storms that life can bring. As you ride on Jesus, with your heavenly Daddy as the Pilot, it won't matter what Pastor sits next to you, you,  you can always sing "What A Friend I Have In Jesus."
amen...pastor matthews 

Juliet

Rev,

Thank you for sharing your sermons with us.  You will be greatly missed by the Concordia congregtion and the Berwyn community.  We pray that you will witness many of God's blessings on you and your family during your retirement.  Thank you for inspiring us to find humor and compassion in our walks with Jesus.

Sincerely,

Julie & BTF

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Juliet

I know.  He's so unique, with the gift of laughter and the ability to be given a prop literally 60 seconds before a sermon and encorporate it into the sermon.  His love for children, the gift of ministry to his congregation, and the support of the church and preschool makes him irreplacable to me.

Juliet

Our Gospel Lesson from Matthew 22 is a parable about a wedding. As you know, a parable is an earthly story with a heavenly meaning. I'm sure most or all of us have been to a wedding at one time or another. In fact there is a story of a lady arriving late to a wedding. The usher greets her and asks if she is a friend of the Groom. "Not at all," she answered, "I'm the mother of the Bride." Sounds like my wedding...
In our Bible story, Jesus is talking about the wedding feast in heaven. Through His prophets, God has invited many to attend, but they were too busy. God then called out to all the world; the poor, the needy, and the lost to attend the heavenly party. One guy comes without a robe, even though the King will provide one. He's thrown out. You have to have a robe.
I'm reminded of a story out of Atlanta a number of years ago when two very wealthy  families were marrying their children and the groom got cold feet and literally left his bride at the altar. They had all of this wonderful food that had been prepared. They decided to send buses to the Salvation Army and invited the poor and homeless to eat. These folks enjoyed crab, lobster, and all the fixin's. By the grace of God, that's what our heavenly feast will be like.
Through His Word, we have all received an invitation. The only criteria to attend is to wear the right clothes. In our world the right clothes are a fancy gown, tuxedo, Rolex watch, jewelry, a fancy hairdo, manicure, and to bring an expensive gift. If you don't have them, you can't get in!
However, God has a different plan.  To get in, wear the right clothing He provides you. We show up; poor, miserable sinners who are filthy with our sins. We don't deserve to be there. That's what our repentant hearts tell us...we don't deserve to be there. Like the man who went to the Pearly Gates asking to get in. Peter tells him he needs 100pts."Well, I've been a good husband." 3pts. "Been a good father" 4pts. "I've been honest in business" 2pts. "I've been a good Lutheran" 1pt. "This way," the man replied, "The only way I'm saved is by the grace of God." 100pts.   
By the grace of God, Who sent His Son to die on the cross for our sins and through faith in Jesus given by the Holy Spirit, we are welcomed into heaven. The right clothing is Jesus Himself. In Romans 13, Paul tells us not to wear the clothes of this world's sin, but to clothe yourself with Jesus Christ. As we worship, study God's Word, pray, and serve others, we grow in a faith that has put on Christ.  When we trust Him and are washed by His blood, God puts that heavenly robe on us that promises a place at the feast. . After all, we know that Jesus was in the clothing business.
Jesus was walking through Jerusalem and met a man who could sew wonderful clothing. He was famous for his stitching skills. Jesus gave up carpentry and went into business with him. They call their store...Lord and Taylor.  Regardless, what a blessing it is that to know that the Groom is our Friend Jesus and He knows us! Amen..rev. matthews

Juliet

March 24&25 "What Are You Full Of?"

Remembering that you are in church, what do people say you're full of? Full of the devil? Full of bologna? Full of fun? Full of competition? Full of debt? There are many others we can't mention. There are a couple of old rhymes from England that little boys are made of "Frogs and snails and puppy dog tails." Little girls are made of "Sugar and spice and everything nice." To be honest, we're all filled with a sinful nature containing favorite sins like greed, hate, pride, and many more. No matter who we are, what fills us inside will show on the outside one way or another, in good ways and bad.

For example there was a man who came to confess to his pastor; "I'm sorry Pastor, I've become a compulsive thief."  "Well," answered the Pastor, "Please pray about it and if nothing happens in a couple of weeks, I'd like a large screen T.V."  Another pastor tells of being on a flight that got really rough. People were holding on dearly, crying out in fear, looking lost and helpless. The flight attendant saw the clerical collar and asked, "Reverend, we're in a mess...could you do something, I don't know, religious? So the pastor took up a collection. What fills us shows through in our lives.

Looking at the life of Jesus, we can see that what filled Him came through in His life. Jesus was filled with (what?) faith, love, and commitment to His Father and to us. Jesus never lost sight of doing His Father's will. In Matthew 26 Jesus prayed that He would drink the cup God had given; His suffering, death, and resurrection. No matter how difficult the path, Jesus was willing to take it so that poor, miserable sinners like you and me could find forgiveness in His blood and a heavenly home. Then He tells us in  John 15 to show that love to one another just as He did for us.

We all need that love because we certainly don't deserve it. What the world sees reflects what we're filled with. If we are name-callers, judgmental, and hurtful to others, then we live with hearts filled with guilt, insecurities, and selfishness. If we neglect worship, prayer, and God's Word on the outside, then we live with hearts filled with pride, self-centeredness, even anger towards God on the inside.  These hearts have no peace, no forgiveness, no real hope or humility before God. This is a sad way to live but when the sinful nature fills us, that's all we can expect.
When Jesus talks of the cup He will bear, He also offers that cup to His brothers and sisters. As Jesus' followers and family, we worship, pray, study His Word, commune, and grow in a faith that shows through in our lives. Through faith in Jesus the Holy Spirit leads us to be Jesus' eyes to see those who are hurting...His arms to reach out with help...we become His voice to share the Good News of salvation...His lips to speak words of love...His money for His Kingdom...though filled with frogs and snails or sugar and spice, with Jesus and His love in our hearts, the glory of the Lord will show through. Amen, pastor matthews

Juliet

As a kid, this day was always Monday-Thursday. I could never understand why Monday? Later in life I learned that the word for Maundy was mandatum, a word that meant mandate, rule, or in the case of John 13; commandment. Jesus gives a new mandaturm, commandment, to love one another as Jesus loves us. This is never easy, because let's face it, our sinful nature often decides who I will love and who I won't. I'll love you because you are in my family, or you're good looking, you're rich, or you're nice to me. I won't love you because you're mean to me, you dress funny, you are a different religion, or you forgot my birthday. We place limits on who we love and how much we love them.

The story is told of a man who was quite sick and his wife took him to the doctor's office. She went in first to talk to the doctor, leaving him in the waiting room. "Well Doctor," she asked, "How is he doing and what can I do to help?" "I'm glad you asked," the Doctor replied. "He needs lots of TLC, tender love and care. You must take care of his every need; whatever food he wants, make it for him. Listen to him when he talks. Laugh at his jokes. Give him shoulder rubs, back rubs, foot rubs whenever he asks for them. Be like a slave and take care of his every need and in a year he'll be as good as new." The lady returned to the waiting room and her husband asked, "Well, what did he say?" ""He said you're going to die!" We put limits on our love.

The story of Maundy Thursday opens our eyes to the kind of love  Jesus really wants for those who love and follow Him. Love as I have loved, Jesus tells us; no limits. As we look at His life, we really see what that meant. As Jesus walked from town to town, He hung out with the "sinners." Jesus ate with tax collectors, prostitutes, and even lepers, YUCK! Jesus was one of them to share the message of salvation through His death and resurrection. On Maundy Thursday, He became a slave and washed their feet. YUCK! At Bible times, most families had a house slave who would greet people by washing their dirty feet as a sign of respect and love. The lowliest slave had this job. Failure to do that would show great disrespect as the Pharisees did to Jesus in Luke 7. Here's Jesus, a slave on Maundy Thursday, washing the feet of the very disciples who would leave Him and run away and even washing the feet of Judas who would betray Him. The next day, Good Friday, He would take the place of a criminal, Barabbas; showing more love. Crucified as a criminal, Jesus took the punishment for our sins, showing love for each us, as we too run from Him and betray Him with our sins and weaknesses. Thank God for Easter as our risen Lord would rise to carry the scars of love with Him to heaven.

Foot washing for Jesus was more than cleaning between toes, He was also showing forgiveness. Here's the mandatum for all Who trust Me, slave Jesus says; Wash dirty feet as I have washed yours. Forgive those who have hurt you as I have forgiven you for hurting Me. Now for all who trust Me, I will give you My body and blood to show you that My love for you has no limits.  Amen, pastor matthews

Juliet

There is a beautiful story out of Florida a number of years ago of a little boy swimming in the river behind his house. The father was working in the yard when he noticed an alligator swimming towards his son. He yelled for the son to swim to shore. The boy didn't quite make it and the alligator grabbed his legs at the same time the father grabbed his arms. It became a tug of war as the father's fingernails dug into the son's arms. Thankfully a farmer happened by and heard the screaming. He came with his gun and killed the alligator. The boy survived and after weeks in the hospital was ready to come home. A reporter asked if he could see the scars on his legs; it was fine with the boy. Then with great pride he pulled up his sleeves, "Look at these scars. I have great scars on my arms because my Daddy wouldn't let go of me."
In our Gospel lesson from John 20, Thomas had his scars, the scars of doubt that kept him from believing that Jesus had risen from the dead. For some reason, he had separated himself from the disciples and missed Jesus' visit. Rather than letting him go, Jesus made a special trip back so Thomas could see for himself, touch for himself, the scars, the wounds, and believe that Jesus was alive. "My Lord and My God" Thomas cried out in faith, because Jesus wouldn't let him go.  It is said that later Thomas traveled to India, converting many to Christianity before being killed by a sword. Many were blessed because Jesus wouldn't let go of him.

Jesus understands scars, doesn't He? The scars He showed to Thomas, He shows to us. Our sins gave Him His scars from thorns, nails, and spear. Our sins were His alligator of wood scarring Him for eternity. While He was held by the cross, His Father was there, never to let Him go. Jesus faced suffering, pain, and death for us in love. Knowing His Father would never let Him go; Jesus went to hell for us so that we could go to heaven with Him. As Jesus holds us in love, we see His Father with a group hug never letting us go.

All of us struggle with our alligators and scars too. Hurts from past sins, past failures, past alligators, can make us feel pretty scarred up, rejected, and alone. Guilt from the past can easily scar up our hearts and minds. We've failed God, failed our families and friends and don't deserve God's love and forgiveness.  We give up on Jesus, letting that old alligator Satan pull us under. Wait...it's not that easy...our heavenly Father still holds on to us. Romans 8 tells us that all is not lost. Though we can't see or feel the presence of Jesus, He's holding  on. "Neither life nor death, angels or demons, nor anything in creation can separate us from the love of God in Jesus Christ." Though life pulls you down, scars you up, reaching out in faith to Jesus with repentant hearts shows us those scarred hands reaching down from the cross to hold us and won't let us go. 

A mom was seven months pregnant and had a toddler. They were at a pool when mom picked up her son to carry him to a lounge chair. Slipping on the tile she had the choice of falling face first on the toddler and baby or falling with her knees directly hitting the concrete. She held up her son and chose knees on concrete with open wounds and lots of blood. The children were fine, but she lived with scars, braces, and a limp. This is a great scar story, but Jesus' death on the cross, is the greatest scar story ever told, because His Daddy wouldn't let go of Him.
Amen, pastor matthews

Juliet

The Old Testament is filled with famous men of faith who stood up for God; Noah and the Ark, Daniel in the lion's den, and David and Goliath. Amos and the??, not so famous. Amos was a country boy who watched sheep and took care of sycamore trees. He was a plain, old guy, suddenly chosen by God to step up and shine by speaking God's Word; warning the Israelites that if they kept walking away from God, judgment was coming.
Speaking of shining, I'm reminded of the mother and daughter walking through a church on a very sunny day. Seeing large stained glass pictures of St. John, St. Peter, St. Paul, and the rest, she asked her daughter if she knew what a saint was. "A saint is someone who lets the Sun shine through," she answered.  So true, a saint lets the Son, Jesus, the Light of the world shine through. A saint of God is ablaze with praise for Jesus.
Are you ablaze with praise for Jesus or more of a frozen chosen...a pew Christian...with pew having a number of meanings. Because of our sinful nature, it's so much easier to be a frozen chosen child of God in this building. We sit, we smile, we shake hands, share an occasional "the peace of the Lord" and sing an occasional hymn, join in an occasional prayer, throw a dollar or two in the offering, and feel good about ourselves. We know we have been chosen by God, we know Jesus loves us and died for us, but when we get home we hang up our faith with our Sunday clothes and forget about God for the week; frozen chosen. The hymn of the frozen chosen, the pew Christian, is "Sit down, sit down for Jesus." Like Amos before God's call, we just want to tend our sheep and watch our fruit trees.

Through the Holy Spirit working through His Word and His Sacraments, God chooses us to be ablaze with praise in this world. You are chosen to be God's voice to speak about the love of Jesus Who died to take away sin. You are the hands of God to reach out to those who hurt. You are His feet to visit the brokenhearted and discouraged. It's kind of like following your favorite sports team; professional, college, high school; little league, or tee ball, whatever.  You cheer them on with your voice, clap for them, and travel to the games and buy shirts, banners, caps, and the rest.  Those who know me at all know that I'm a fan of Detroit sports.

If you can be proud of your team, win or lose, are you proud of your God through good and bad?? Are you proud of your God who made you, sent His Son to die for you so you can be with Him in heaven? God Who listens to all you say, Who watches over you and your loved ones, and has blessed you so much more than you deserve? Well, are you? Are you ablaze with praise for your Savior Jesus? We can be ablaze inside church as we sing hymns, pray prayers, go to Bible Class, send our kids to Sunday School and VBS, and bring them to be Baptized. FIRED UP!! Now, can we be ablaze with praise beyond these walls? Does your faith show through outside? Does the light of the Son, Jesus, shine in you as a saint? You don't have to be an Amos, but you can pray for someone at work or school and let them know. You can share your faith.  You can share a kind word with a stranger, pray at a restaurant or school, buy a bottle of water for the next person in line or pay the toll for the car behind you. When they ask why, simply say "Because that's what Christians do." NOW YOU'RE ABLAZE WITH PRAISE!
Three ladies died and went to heaven. St Peter is tied up, they have to wait. Finally the first is called in. "I'm sorry you had to wait." "Don't worry. I can't wait to see Jesus." "One question for you to get in, spell the word God" The second is called in, Peter apologizes,"'Don't worry. I'd wait a thousand years to be with my Lord." "To get in, spell God." The third is called in, Peter apologizes, "I think you're rude" she replied. "I waited in line on earth in stores, banks, and gas stations. Now I have to wait here? What's wrong with you?" "I'm sorry; just one question and you can enter heaven; spell Czechoslovakia."  It's tough to be a frozen chosen, huh? Amen, pastor matthews