News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

The Informant - Love/Hate??

Started by truman40, September 28, 2009, 02:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

truman40

I saw the Informant starring Matt Damon over the weekend and thought it was a pretty good movie. The person who was with me did not like the movie.
The movie is about the Archer Daniels Midland price fixing scandal in the 80's.
I am very familar with ADM and was able to follow the plotline and enjoy the dry humor. My companion was lost although they did find certain parts funny.
Has anyone else seen the movie? Just curious if I was able to enjoy the movie because I had prior knowledge of these events.
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

Terri

Haven't seen the movie yet but I read the book a few years back. Eyeopening to say the least, I had to remind myself I wasn't reading fiction.

Truman, how did you feel about the nation's obesity rate after seeing movie?  I'm assuming fructose corn syrup was a main character. Seriously, after reading "The Informant" by Kurt Kurt Eichenwald, I was convinced ADM is a major player in the nation's obesity rate. Interestingly enough, ADM (and another company) went on to develop and produce Enova cooking oil that is suppose to fight body fat and obesity.

Interesting article:
http://obrag.org/?p=3292

truman40

I thought it was interesting how the one FBI agent starts reading the labels off of everything he eats and then realizes that everything has sometype of corn by-product. He then puts 2 and 2 together and understands just how profitable the price fixing scheme that ADM is participating in can be.
Another funny moment for me is when they showed the offices at the ADM plant in Decatur Il. I visit that plant at least twice a year and those office still look the same!! As a matter of fact most of the people dress the same way too. Most of the men wear a shirt and tie and the women wear dresses. Almost like they're stuck in the 70's.
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

RockabillyMillie

Even if your friend couldn't follow the movie, he/she must have been able to admit the excellence of the soundtrack. That alone had me cracking up in the middle of an unusually quiet theater.