News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Houby Ready

Started by Nazerac, September 28, 2009, 03:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thor

I gotta agree with Diona on at least one issue. Sunday nite Beetles trib band was loud. I live in the Depot area and heard them all the way by me. I was in my house, windows closed on a Sunday nite and that I thought was ridiculous.
As far as alderman Skyrd, she is useless!! She pulled the same thing a few weeks prior when she gave the go ahead to close down Stanley east of Oak Park ave for the Bum bar's street festival and failed to notify a few of the affected businesses.
All I can say Diona is if your here at the next election, VOTE!! Remember this administration could care less about Berwyn residents. Unless of course you are friends of theirs, which then of course you don't live in Berwyn.
Stop your whining and think the way I do

Bonster

No, don't vote, Diona.  There's no one worth your precious vote.

You may want to take it up at city council, though.

I say next year put the bands on a rooftop, Beatles-style!
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

Quote from: seebee on October 05, 2009, 08:58:14 AM
When I lived in Denver, I actually saw a street sign that read, "No Left Turn's." It was NOT a handwritten sign. It was a normal, metal stamped, machine made sign attached to a street light probably made by and paid for by state or city dollars.

seebee - I hope that drove you as crazy reading it as it does me reading about it!

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on October 05, 2009, 10:19:56 AM
"I approached her and asked her about the intense music and she gave us the brush off saying it's a public street".  Translation - go f*#* yourself!  It must be nice to be treated like that by an elected official of the town where you live.  I was starting to think to myself how unbelievable that is but quickly did a reality check and yes, it's totally believable here in Berwyn.

If it is a public street, why was it closed down?

She is flat out dumb as a box of rocks.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

moxnix

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on October 05, 2009, 11:42:32 AM
Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on October 05, 2009, 10:19:56 AM
"I approached her and asked her about the intense music and she gave us the brush off saying it's a public street".  Translation - go f*#* yourself!  It must be nice to be treated like that by an elected official of the town where you live.  I was starting to think to myself how unbelievable that is but quickly did a reality check and yes, it's totally believable here in Berwyn.

If it is a public street, why was it closed down?

She is flat out dumb as a box of rocks.

Since all streets in Berwyn are public, why would this fest (with loud music and all - and American English got louder as the evening went on) not be accountable to the residents?  I would think that the residents of the closed residential side streets like Elmwood should be allowed to voice their support or disapproval before the event by the signing of a petition ala block parties during the summer.

OakParkSpartan

Maybe gathering petition signatures now would be a good time while the experience is fresh in people's minds. 

Someone is going to be impacted when there is a festival right next to a residential area, but one would think the organizers would have some decency beyond just making a lame assed, stupid comment about it being a public street. 

I wonder if Skrydmarks can explain what it being a public street has to do with anything?  Because if you drive your car down the public street with a stereo too loud, you certainly can't use the "it is a public street" excuse.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Diona

Quote from: Thor on October 05, 2009, 10:30:29 AM
I gotta agree with Diona on at least one issue. Sunday nite Beetles trib band was loud. I live in the Depot area and heard them all the way by me. I was in my house, windows closed on a Sunday nite and that I thought was ridiculous.
As far as alderman Skyrd, she is useless!! She pulled the same thing a few weeks prior when she gave the go ahead to close down Stanley east of Oak Park ave for the Bum bar's street festival and failed to notify a few of the affected businesses.
All I can say Diona is if your here at the next election, VOTE!! Remember this administration could care less about Berwyn residents. Unless of course you are friends of theirs, which then of course you don't live in Berwyn.

Thor if you heard it in the Depot District, imagine how it would have sounded & felt not even 20 feet away from your house.  It was totally uncalled for & I have put my complaint in with the Mayor's office today.  Now if I get a call back on what I told the mayor's secretary or whoever she was, I don't know.  What you all said so far, I probably won't get a call back, but I at least had my say here knowing as a long time lurker that some of city officials check this site & that I had my say to the Mayor's aid/secretary.

My big question here you all is who are we supposed to call when the BPD & the politicians are together celebrating their little weekend fest & resident's expenses?  BPD, didn't do much of anything when we called 3 times on Saturday & the 1 time on Sunday evening, they told me that the Mayor gave them the OK for another hour last night.  

We will be voting in the next election, SOMEONE has to be better than the elected officials we have now, at least I would like to hope so.

I totally agree with you OakParkSpartan, my husband was talking to me about the sound ordinances, but yet they can get away with their political fest & I'm sure break a bunch of sound ordinances that you or I would have gotten ticketed for.

Bonster

I wonder why was the event moved to the North side of Cermak.  The old location was more comfortable and providing more seating and room for events like the dancers and such.

Terri

Last year the Czech Oasis team passed out a letter to each house and apartment within the area explaining Houbyfest and the band schedule so they knew what to expect.  Diona, did your building receive a letter or note about the fest?

BRoWN

lol.  Im amazed that people stress themselves out about the smallest things.  Events can be loud. Just plan ahead. Expect it. Don't let it bug you. Life is too short to bitch about little things.

Diona

No, we didn't recieve anything at all about the Houbyfest Terri.  I check my mail & any flyers that are put on the floor of the vestibule everyday.

I think irregardless of if we got something or not, to put a big concert stage out by residents & play music for over 11 hours in 1 day at extremely high decibles is unacceptable anywhere.  

I've been a resident here in the apartment complex where that stage was set up 8 or 9 years.  I've been through many a Houby Fest & NONE of them except this 1 has ever bothered me.  We had a stage close to our place many years, but they've only played for 2-3 hours & was never that loud.  My husband said it was like going to a Korn concert with his teenage kid hearing all the thumping bass.

Whatever buzz, why not put it in front of you house next year.  Then you can come in here to talk about it, we'll discuss that next year with you how you felt.  It really didn't have to be that loud, Thor said he even heard it in the Depot, so what does that tell you about the sound of this band?

seebee

Quote from: Classof67 on October 05, 2009, 09:59:39 AM
Quote from: Ted on October 05, 2009, 06:53:27 AM

I think it would be awkward to write "the instances of the letter i" rather than i's.

I was just pointing out that there are valid cases where an apostrophe followed by the letter s is used to for the plural form. I think it is becoming more true in today's world with the increasing use of acronyms and abbreviations.  Those are the other cases where I have seen apostrophe followed by s because acronyms and abbreviations do not lend themselves to becoming plural just by adding the letter s. The apostrophe is needed to distinguish the letters of the acronym or abbreviation.

Ted

+1  Who talks like that, Seebee?  I bet you NEVER end a sentence with a preposition.  :)

+1. I don't talk like that.

The discussion was about writing though.

Talking is worlds different than writing. I can tell someone many, many, things without saying or writing one word if we are close to each other. If I said "dot your i's and cross your t's," you know that I'm not even talking about writing. Some guy who hasn't spoken English since he was born might have no idea what the heck that means even if he has been speaking English for 10 years. I prolly end sentences with prepositions. I don't have any examples that I can think of. I'll get back to you when I think of examples I can wrap my mind around. Let me think it through. Gotta let it sink in. You know, toss it around. Get my thinking cap on. Maybe I'll search the board and keep a look out. Bet there's a few threads I can get examples from. That's something I'll look into.

And yes, Bonster, that street sign drove me nuts. But really, it's a short drive.

seebee

Quote from: Diona on October 05, 2009, 01:19:58 PM

I think irregardless of if we got something or not...

For the record, Diona, I'm in your corner. I would think that the fest's loud music could have ended a few hours earlier than 10:30 on a Sunday night during the school year. I get to listen to the Journey cover band during the Depot fests into the night, so I can somewhat relate. Sounds like it was worse for you though - louder and longer.

Otoh, that's a rough, rough, start of a sentence. IN THE CONTEXT OF MY BABBLINGS in this thread, I found it to be amusing.
offtopic

Bonster

LOL...^^

Quote from: Diona on October 05, 2009, 01:19:58 PM
Whatever buzz, why not put it in front of you house next year.  Then you can come in here to talk about it, we'll discuss that next year with you how you felt.  It really didn't have to be that loud, Thor said he even heard it in the Depot, so what does that tell you about the sound of this band?
Diona- I'm not so sure buzz opined on this matter.

tony la

Bon,  I did enjoy headspins, and the Hamburglars,(robble-robble). Little did I realize the impact they had on my 7 year old daughter.  It was one of the first times she has seen a band in person, and to her suprise she saw two women playing the guitar.  She said to me "Dad women can have a rock band too"?  It was special for me.  

This event brings many people together.  Again maybe it was a little too long.  If many, and I mean many, people were upset about the noise and the time, then something should be done.  Jesus Christ himself could have come down from heaven and gave a speech and I guarantee you, you would get a complaint.  

I am not going to mention any names here.  I am not aligned with anyone here but BERWYN.  If it promotes our town in a positive light, then I am for it.   The people behind this event worked their asses off.  I was there almost every minute.  

I met many people from out of the area who were really impressed.  Sunday was a spectacular day.

I really am not looking to debate anyone here, just stating what I saw.  So if anyone sees fit to throw a punch at me on BTF, it will land on a numb jaw.
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

Diona

Oh I'm sorry I thought I read buzz's response to "get over it", my apologizes.  I meant BROWN have the concert in front of your house next year & then you can talk to us after your ears were assulted for 11 hours.

My husband & I went down to partake yesterday when it was much quieter (before the Beatles band).  It was nice & we spent some money at the local vendors.  Even going to go to to Kim's Creations later on this week to stock up on the wonderful candles she has there.

My point in all this is the BPD & our alderman really didn't care when we talked to them, where is the caring for your constituents?  OR Is the caring only when the constituents are friends with the politicians in this town?

Anyway...the fest is over & done with THANK GOD, I hope someone with 1/2 a brain takes the residents into consideration for next years fest. 

Thanks for letting me vent here & I will be around more to read & maybe even post to the Berwyn happenings.  This is where I come for Events stuff & to read alot of other things concerning Berwyn. :)

Bonster

Quote from: tony la on October 05, 2009, 02:33:25 PM
I am not going to mention any names here.  I am not aligned with anyone here but BERWYN.  If it promotes our town in a positive light, then I am for it.   The people behind this event worked their asses off.  I was there almost every minute. 

They work hard at Lambs Farm, too.

Classof67

Quote from: seebee on October 05, 2009, 01:21:12 PM
Quote from: Classof67 on October 05, 2009, 09:59:39 AM
Quote from: Ted on October 05, 2009, 06:53:27 AM

I think it would be awkward to write "the instances of the letter i" rather than i's.

I was just pointing out that there are valid cases where an apostrophe followed by the letter s is used to for the plural form. I think it is becoming more true in today's world with the increasing use of acronyms and abbreviations.  Those are the other cases where I have seen apostrophe followed by s because acronyms and abbreviations do not lend themselves to becoming plural just by adding the letter s. The apostrophe is needed to distinguish the letters of the acronym or abbreviation.

Ted

+1  Who talks like that, Seebee?  I bet you NEVER end a sentence with a preposition.  :)

+1. I don't talk like that.

The discussion was about writing though.

Talking is worlds different than writing. I can tell someone many, many, things without saying or writing one word if we are close to each other. If I said "dot your i's and cross your t's," you know that I'm not even talking about writing. Some guy who hasn't spoken English since he was born might have no idea what the heck that means even if he has been speaking English for 10 years. I prolly end sentences with prepositions. I don't have any examples that I can think of. I'll get back to you when I think of examples I can wrap my mind around. Let me think it through. Gotta let it sink in. You know, toss it around. Get my thinking cap on. Maybe I'll search the board and keep a look out. Bet there's a few threads I can get examples from. That's something I'll look into.

And yes, Bonster, that street sign drove me nuts. But really, it's a short drive.

:fiveoh:  Wow, look at all the preposition. STOP IT!   offtopic 

seebee

Quote from: Bonster on October 05, 2009, 03:24:32 PM
I am not going to mention any names here.  I am not aligned with anyone here but BERWYN.  If it promotes our town in a positive light, then I am for it.   The people behind this event worked their asses off.  I was there almost every minute. 

OMG -
Funniest thing I've read this year probably. Totally wrong, but funny as #$%^

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: seebee on October 05, 2009, 03:52:51 PM
Quote from: Bonster on October 05, 2009, 03:24:32 PM

OMG -
Funniest thing I've read this year probably. Totally wrong, but funny as #$%^
+1.  I almost fell off my chair.  God bless em - the ones at Lambs Farm.