News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

BDC meeting

Started by Shelley, May 03, 2005, 10:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelley

Here is a copy of an e-mail I sent to a list of interested people.  I will try to post a general summary of the BDC meetings I attend.  I encourage other "regular" citizens to attend other meetings and post a summary for the rest of us.  I'd like to go to all of the City Council, School Board, Park District, IVB, Library, etc. meetings but obviously don't have the time.  I would like to read an informal take on any of these, so if you happen to go, please share.  Let's think of this as the place for the "Regular Guy" for those of you XRT listeners.  Thanks.  Shelley 

Attached is information regarding the plant/flower sale in the Depot District this Saturday May 7th sent to me by Alderman Weiner to pass along to you.  It will be held in the parking lot at 33rd and Grove from 8:00am to 5:00 pm.  - just in time for Mother's Day gift buying!!  There will be a kid-friendly activity (painting flower pots). 

Also, for those of you involved in the Depot District Beautification Coalition, Good News:  City Council approved spending (about $300,00!!)for improved lighting in the Depot District including victorian style light posts along Stanley and Windsor that include hanging baskets for seasonal planting.  This is exactly what we requested in the petition circulated about a year ago!  The project should be complete by Christmas.  I'll send a more detailed summary of the last two meetings when I get a chance, but one thing to be aware of is the monthly Farmer's Market that will be coming to South Berwyn.  The dates are:  June 25th, Jul 23, Aug 27th,  Sept. 24th, and  October 22nd.  These will also be in the lot on 33rd and Grove.  Mark your calendars now.   

I'm collecting e-mails of people interested in these updates, so if you know of anyone please forward this to them and e-mail me to add to the list.  I always blind-copy to protect your address.  If you don't want to get these, just let me know and I'll remove you from the mass list.  my e-mail is titzers@yahoo.com

Paul Fuentes

This thread needs some serious " MOUTH TO MOUTH".   Any takers??

P.S. I read the "RED" warning.  But old is not by any means irrelevant.  After all, the BDC seems to carry some weight here.

Shelley

O.K.  Here is my New Year's resolution:

I'll attend the Depot District/Ogden Ave. BDC meeting on the 4th Thursday of every month at 4:30 pm. (I hope this is the right day/time) and report back to this board with a summary for those of you who are interested.  I figured that this would be easier than losing weight, learning a foreign language or saving money.

Anyone else want to take on a monthly committment for the good of the community?  I'd love a summary of Dist. 100 meetings and I already enjoy Brian's summary of the budget committee meetings and Berwyn Patsy's take on the City Council meetings.  I also like to read Pastor Matthew's sermon posted by Juliet.  So many meetings...so little time.  Who's with me??  What other organizations/meetings would you all like to see covered?

Shelley

Berwyn Patsy

I think your idea is a good one Shelley.  We could almost have a Berwyntalk network going on here. I am willing to attend any of the many school board meetings. If you organize I'll do my part.

Shelley

Patsy:  How about taking District 100 meetings, though I've always relied on your reports from the COW and City council.  Any volunteers for District 98?  I'd also like to hear what is going on at the other TIF commission meetings.  If interested go to the BDC website (there is a link from the city of Berwyn website) and call the office to find out when they are.  I've enjoyed Brian's reports on the budget committee.  Any other meetings that we'd like covered? 

Berwyn Patsy

Shelley, thanks for the complement on my coverage of the city council meetings, but I really think we have found some real talent in reporting!  Yes our next city council reporter who I hope will do us the honor should be Scoon!  I loved his notes and humor upon writing 1-24-06 highlights of the COW and council.  So how about it Scoon, can we count on ya? 

scoon

Do I have a choice?  But yes, I'll do all the council meetings that I can.  But we'll need to take up a collection for a legal defense fund for me if I go to the council meeting on the 14th.  My wife is pretty tolerant, but she has her limits.

I think that all of us who do go should probably compare notes.  And I'm always looking for snarky comments if you have background that I don't.  --  That should probably go for all meetings.

Thanks to those of you who've volunteered for other meetings.

Berwyn Patsy

Thanks Scoon, "your the best "  as my 4 year old granson would say!!  If you can't make a meeting let me know and I'll try to live up to your legend of the next Jimmie Olson! ( Superman).

Ana

Me too scoon.  I can't make every meeting but if you let me know, I can cover for you.  Actually, I can probably cover for any of you who already volunteered.  I can be the substitute, if you'll have me.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Berwyn Patsy

Good idea Art, and thanks !  I think we all appreciate each others enthusiasm to better Berwyn. If we work this right we can really do some constrctive net working!

scoon

Thanks for the back up!  I'll have to take one of you up on your offer on the 14th cause I have reservations at La Notte.  I'll let you fight over who gets to go amongst yourselves.   :D

I want to go to the Referendum meeting tomorrow but I'm not able.  Anyone going to cover that?

Berwyn Patsy

I will be going to the referendum meeting tomorrw. Any specific questions some would like asked?  E-mail me thru the web site.
Art it does not make a difference to me, but I will be at the 14th city council meeting also.

jburkson

I notice the train district looks great. They done a good job their. Does anyone if the BDC are going to spent any of that money helping out 12th st., we need it their.

John

OakParkSpartan

Roosevelt Rd. is a TIF district, so there are funds (theoretically) available.  I'm not certain how much $$'s they currently have.  There's also the problem of the 8th ward alderman seemingly voting against most TIF expenditures in his district.  Correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Ted

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on March 01, 2006, 10:27:25 PM
Roosevelt Rd. is a TIF district, so there are funds (theoretically) available.  I'm not certain how much $$'s they currently have.  There's also the problem of the 8th ward alderman seemingly voting against most TIF expenditures in his district.  Correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers,
Brian

One of the problems with the Roosevelt TIF is that it has always been sort of a "half" TIF district.  It is not legally possible (I think but am not sure) to create a TIF district that crosses municipal boundaries. So, for what ever reason, the Roosevelt TIF has always had less money to spend than the other TIF districts.

Ted