News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Xni-Pec

Started by dukesdad, December 02, 2009, 10:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dukesdad

Is moving to the old Gemelli's spot in Brookfield.  It's our favorite Mex joint. Hopefully the new location will entice folks to try it.

Nazerac

I was hoping that they'd move to Roosevelt Rd.  These are the types of businesses we should be able to steal from Cicero.  They can keep their big box developments that we always hear about on this board.

chandasz

We went once and it was very good. We were the only ones there though. Hope the move helps!

tgoddess

The food is wonderful there, however, the parking is HORRIBLE.  I hope the new location will offer better parking options.
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

renovatorbear

we enjoyed the food there too.  i hope the move is a good one for them...

Bru67

Quote from: Nazerac on December 02, 2009, 10:46:28 AM
I was hoping that they'd move to Roosevelt Rd.  These are the types of businesses we should be able to steal from Cicero.  They can keep their big box developments that we always hear about on this board.

The BDC has a new business taskforce that should be working on things like this.  Not to change the subject, but what ever happened to the new TGIF-With-A-DJ that's supposed to be coming to the Depot?  Is that still on?  I drove by a couple weeks ago and nothing seemed to be going down there. 

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Bru67 on December 02, 2009, 02:06:37 PM

The BDC has a new business taskforce that should be working on things like this.  Not to change the subject, but what ever happened to the new TGIF-With-A-DJ that's supposed to be coming to the Depot?  Is that still on?  I drove by a couple weeks ago and nothing seemed to be going down there. 

Maybe they are waiting to get their security guards approved?  Cuz all TGIF's have security guards, right? LOL.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bru67

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on December 02, 2009, 02:09:27 PM

Maybe they are waiting to get their security guards approved?  Cuz all TGIF's have security guards, right? LOL.

Hey, don't mock it.  You've obviously never seen me when refused extra Jack Daniels' sauce for my Championship Slider Platter.  Not a pretty picture. 

Nazerac

Quote from: Bru67 on December 02, 2009, 02:12:42 PM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on December 02, 2009, 02:09:27 PM

Hey, don't mock it.  You've obviously never seen me when refused extra Jack Daniels' sauce for my Championship Slider Platter.  Not a pretty picture. 

Maybe we should start a new topic:  Neighborhood Joints we'd like to steal, and let's keep it realistic.

1.  Xni-Pec:  From Brookfield to Cicero
2.  A good middle eastern/falafel joint from Albany Park/Bridgeview into the old bagel store on Roosevelt
3.  Gaetano's:  From forest park to Naz' basement (reservations will be very limited!)

dukesdad

I have to laugh at how this thread has gone. If Xni-Pec was moving to Berwyn, I'd bet my last nickel that the third post would have been "oh great, another Mexican restaurant, just what Berwyn doesn't need".

Hogzilla

We have a lot of Mexican joints, but few that are noteworthy. Within the city limits. There is one we have been going to in Cicero a couple times now called La Quebrada on Roosevelt just before Cicero Ave as you head East. They serve a warm (temperature) salsa that is fantastic. Their chilaquiles rojas are the best I have had, period. Everything I have had there has been very, very good.

Naz is right, there are no good Middle Eastern places within 5 miles of B-town. Grape Leaves on OPA used to be good, but in the last year or so has gone into total suckage. I don't mind Jerusalem on Lake Street for a quick M.E. fix.
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: dukesdad on December 02, 2009, 03:37:57 PM
I have to laugh at how this thread has gone. If Xni-Pec was moving to Berwyn, I'd bet my last nickel that the third post would have been "oh great, another Mexican restaurant, just what Berwyn doesn't need".

I think most will take quality over quantity, and Xni-pec is quality.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Hogzilla on December 02, 2009, 03:58:30 PM
We have a lot of Mexican joints, but few that are noteworthy. Within the city limits. There is one we have been going to in Cicero a couple times now called La Quebrada on Roosevelt just before Cicero Ave as you head East. They serve a warm (temperature) salsa that is fantastic. Their chilaquiles rojas are the best I have had, period. Everything I have had there has been very, very good.

Naz is right, there are no good Middle Eastern places within 5 miles of B-town. Grape Leaves on OPA used to be good, but in the last year or so has gone into total suckage. I don't mind Jerusalem on Lake Street for a quick M.E. fix.

Jerusalem is within 5 miles.  Their food is good.

Bridgeview is easy to get to. 

Bru67

Quote from: dukesdad on December 02, 2009, 03:37:57 PM

I doubt it. Most people in the area know of Xni-Pec and the quality of its food. I think people are just tired of mediocre, middle of the road, low cost restaurants. There's a place for that but you need balance. Brando's is a beef place, which we also have a lot of, but no one is complaining, because by all indications it's very good.

We have a lot of Mexican restaurants, but how many really stand out? I can't think of a single one off the top of my head. We need things that draw people.

Hogzilla

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on December 02, 2009, 04:03:32 PM
Quote from: Hogzilla on December 02, 2009, 03:58:30 PM

Jerusalem is within 5 miles.  Their food is good.

Bridgeview is easy to get to. 

It's not all that bad to get there, parking can be a pain at times. We need to check out your suggestion in Bridgeview.
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

Robert Pauly

Jeez, you Mexican restaurant cork sniffers.  I live a block from Lalo's.  The medium Margaritaville accomplishes it's mission, and I don't have to worry about a DUI.  The kids love the chicken soup and tacos.  They don't make a bad Carne Asada.  The flan is edible.  And there's plenty of local talent for the younger, single guys.  Go to Bridgeview for Mexican?  Hogwash!

Bru67

I think one needs to go to Bridgeview for the middle eastern cuisine Bob, not Mexican.  And I love our neighborhood Chili's-With-A-DJ too ;)  The food is good enough, and it's definitely a draw given the parking issues it creates on Wednesday nights!  But it's not all that special, even for Berwyn.  Mi Terra, Guadalajara, La Quinta, and Ixtapa all offer similar menus and quality of food (albeit without the atmosphere).

billyjean

Chili's use to be good about 10 years ago.  Now?  It's terrible.  Their idea of mexican food and my idea of mexican food are world's apart.  If I go to eat, it better be good.  If the atmosphere is not there for night life, that's OK, I then move on to place with night life.

The burgers at Chili's aren't too bad.  Ladies having ribs were not thrilled, and were disappointed that they chose Chili's for ribs when Famous Daves was just down the road.

I love all the ppl who are not mexican that critique mexican food made by mexicans.  That's rich.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Robert Pauly on December 02, 2009, 06:08:28 PM
Jeez, you Mexican restaurant cork sniffers.  I live a block from Lalo's.  The medium Margaritaville accomplishes it's mission, and I don't have to worry about a DUI.  The kids love the chicken soup and tacos.  They don't make a bad Carne Asada.  The flan is edible.  And there's plenty of local talent for the younger, single guys.  Go to Bridgeview for Mexican?  Hogwash!

Unless they are Muslim mexicans, I'd not expect to find much mexican food in Bridgeview.

Bru67

Quote from: billyjean on December 02, 2009, 06:37:37 PM

I love all the ppl who are not mexican that critique mexican food made by mexicans.  That's rich.

We consume, we critique.