News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Xni-Pec

Started by dukesdad, December 02, 2009, 10:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogzilla

I grew up in Texas and have been around Mexican food all my life. We cook it at home and eat it, usually, once a week. You go to enough places and good, bad and average make themselves apparent pretty quick. There are a few places that do it a little different, add a twist, or are just good quality food.

Like Bru said, Mi Tierra, La Quinta, Lalos, all kinda the same place. Nothing bad about them, just nothing special. Xni-pec has that something special. So does La Quebrada.

I'm also a fan of Fuego Loco in Oak Park. It might be a chain, but their salsas are out of this world. Ask for the salsa of the day, they won't bring it out unless you ask. The chips are laced with an addictive drug. Delicious.
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

seebee

Quote from: billyjean on December 02, 2009, 06:37:37 PM
Chili's use to be good about 10 years ago.  Now?  It's terrible.  Their idea of mexican food and my idea of mexican food are world's apart.  If I go to eat, it better be good.  If the atmosphere is not there for night life, that's OK, I then move on to place with night life.

The burgers at Chili's aren't too bad.  Ladies having ribs were not thrilled, and were disappointed that they chose Chili's for ribs when Famous Daves was just down the road.

I love all the ppl who are not mexican that critique mexican food made by mexicans.  That's rich.

This entire post belongs in the "Best Of" thread.

n01_important

Couldn't that logic get extended to "if you don't live in Berwyn all your life, you can't criticize it"?

But I digress...
Stupid fuck

seebee

Quote from: seebee on December 02, 2009, 11:01:39 PM
Quote from: billyjean on December 02, 2009, 06:37:37 PM
Chili's use to be good about 10 years ago.  Now?  It's terrible.  Their idea of mexican food and my idea of mexican food are world's apart.  If I go to eat, it better be good.  If the atmosphere is not there for night life, that's OK, I then move on to place with night life.

The burgers at Chili's aren't too bad.  Ladies having ribs were not thrilled, and were disappointed that they chose Chili's for ribs when Famous Daves was just down the road.

I love all the ppl who are not mexican that critique mexican food made by mexicans.  That's rich.

This entire post belongs in the "Best Of" thread.

Billyjean's post reminded me of THIS.

Nazerac

I like El Chimbombo on Cermak.  It's got some more exotic dishes than your usual tacos, enchiladas etc.

Hogzilla

Quote from: Nazerac on December 03, 2009, 09:01:37 AM
I like El Chimbombo on Cermak.  It's got some more exotic dishes than your usual tacos, enchiladas etc.

Will be going there! Sounds great.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/el-chimbombo-berwyn
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

EC

Have they solved their "language barrier" problem? I was in there about a year ago and really had a hard time ordering as the waitress did not understand english.

Nazerac

That was about the last time I was there too.  I think that next time I (or anyone on the board) goes there, we should take a menu with us, scan it and post it on BTF and ask for translation/recommendations !

maraire

I'm sure some have tried New Roboso in O.P. on Madison just east of Harlem. If you haven't it is a must try.

EC

maraire

Thats what I meant  ;D

The place is very good.

EC

Yes it is, and very different from the usual places. When the owner, Paco, comes out to great you, "Oh my God" is what you always hear! He gets so excited that I swear he is going to wet himself someday. And he does that for everyone.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: EC on December 03, 2009, 01:39:21 PM
Yes it is, and very different from the usual places. When the owner, Paco, comes out to great you, "Oh my God" is what you always hear! He gets so excited that I swear he is going to wet himself someday. And he does that for everyone.

Paco is the best host I think I've come across in a restaurant.  That, plus fantastic food (and salsa) make it one of my favorites in the western burbs.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

chandasz

chimbambo (sp... sorry)  is really good. They had an english language menu when I went....

EC

Good to know, at least you can point to what you want and hope it comes out that way. The food is very good, especially the combination grill (I think) with everything. I know they give you a lot; I ended up taking half my lunch home.

pioneer

I did not like Xni-pec...maybe they were having a bad day?  or maybe I was spoiled by eating the same dishes in the Yucatan...

I stopped going to "New" Reboso after I dined at Maya in Oak Park....Maya's mini-sopes, carne asada, and coffee flan...truly O-M-G!!! ;D..........and they do change the menu from time to time.....unlike "New" Reboso

Bonster

+1

Maya is f'in off the hook.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

dukesdad

We had dinner at Xni-Pec Friday night, it was excellent! Shrimp and fish tacos are damn hard to beat. They hope to be open in Brookfield by the 14th.

EC

I was told they are still going to have the place in Cicero, too.

dukesdad

That's the plan. Momma is going to run the one in Cicero and Antonio and his brother are going to run the one in Brookfield.