News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Power Outage

Started by OakParkSpartan, January 10, 2010, 11:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakParkSpartan

Did anyone else just have a 15 second or so power outage just before 11pm?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Diona

Not yesterday OPS.  I did experience 1 on Friday afternoon for about 15 seconds.  I thought it was because ComEd was supposed to change out the old meters with digital 1's.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Diona on January 11, 2010, 07:47:43 AM
Not yesterday OPS.  I did experience 1 on Friday afternoon for about 15 seconds.  I thought it was because ComEd was supposed to change out the old meters with digital 1's.
They're called "smart meters".  I received a letter in the mail a few weeks back about the installation and it did mention that the power would go off temporarily and all electric devices in the house would have to be reset.  I just wish they would have given me a firm date so I could turn off the computer.  Anyways, I doubt that was the reason for OPS' outage - I don't think they would be replacing them Sunday evenings.

OakParkSpartan

Yeah, we already had the smart meter switch (in the middle of the work day).

I'm curious if anyone else had a high bill after that switch.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

EC

There is a charge to change the meter. Could that explain the higher bill? We had it done already, took all of 30 seconds, but no bill yet.

renovatorbear

We also had a complete outage in our neighborhood just before 11pm last night.  And we also got a much higher bill following the installation of our new meter.  I wasn't sure if it was higher due to all the Christmas lights we've had on and becasue we were both home and off work for 2 weeks...

Diona

Thank you Mrs. N, I forgot what they called them.

I got my bill right before they installed the meters, so I will have to wait a bit to see if the next 1 is higher. 

EC, why would they charge the customers to install the meter, it's not like we asked for them?  Hell at least I know I didn't ask for a new 1.  :)

dukesdad

Quotewhy would they charge the customers to install the meter

Because the Illinois Commerce Commission said they could, It doen't look like it will bankrupt you, might even save you money.

"The cost of the pilot program would be borne by all 5.8 million ComEd customers. An average of 25 cents would be tacked on to every monthly bill in 2010, with the charge dropping to an average of 14 cents by 2011.

David Kolata, executive director of the Citizens Utility Board watchdog group, said creating a so-called smart power grid could be "very good" for the consumer if done correctly. He said that he was "cautiously optimistic" that ComEd's program could make it the best smart grid in the country.

"We're not quite there yet," Mr. Kolata said. "There are some details that still need to be worked out. I think things are moving in the right direction."

The meters would go into homes in Chicago, Bellwood, Berwyn, Broadview, Forest Park, Hillside, Maywood, Melrose Park, Oak Park and River Forest. An 11th community will be added, based on which one wins ComEd's Community Energy Challenge, a contest calling for municipalities to develop energy-efficient policies and practices.

ComEd is also asking the ICC to support an application to be sent to the U.S. Department of Energy requesting federal stimulus funds to offset the program's cost. ComEd representatives could not immediately give the total cost of the pilot program."

OakParkSpartan

Mine jumped about $40. 

What sucks about the smart meters is that for people who work at home, there isn't much chance for saving money.

dukesdad

Work in the middle of the night when rates are lowest.

dukesdad

Edison installed our "smart" meter on Wednesday. In the process, they screwed up our lighting control computer and our refrigerator. Ain't life grand?

chandasz

We had our flickering this morning. Wish we had known but not a big deal

Bonster

Quote from: dukesdad on January 15, 2010, 11:33:23 AM
lighting control computer

Tell me more.  How much does it control in a bungalow?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Nazerac

In our house cooling system, each room is individualized as its own zone. 

dukesdad

QuoteTell me more.  How much does it control in a bungalow?

44 cans in the kitchen, dining room, eating nook, under counter lights in the kitchen. Let's you set different scenes, in different rooms art lights etc.. To be honest, it's a pain in the ass. I have yet to find anyone that REALLY knows how to program it. It's a Leviton Dimensions 3208 control panel. I wish we had gone much lower tech. It's my penance for watching This Old House 5 times a week.

formerfalcon

I believe the letter stated that there was no charge to swap out meters.   :)