News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Tech group to launch digital music file successor

Started by OICU812, January 26, 2010, 01:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OICU812

OakParkSpartan

I find it ironic that one of the sponsoring companies is based in China...which as we all know has a HORRIBLE record for copyright infringement.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

scungili

I dunno ... the few articles I scanned about these MusicDNA files say nothing about sound quality improvement or if there's improved compression algorithms being used.  The push on this is all about metadata & the ability of the listener to get things along with what is essentially still an mp3.  Yeah - get stuff like spyware and then give a bunch of one's info away.

I can see how this technology may curtail piracy (for a while at least) and it could give labels, ascap, bmi, etc... info that goes beyond reported sales, but I don't know if the average music listener wants to open their private info up to whomever is on the other side of that MusciDNA "metadata feed".

Yeah the China thing is kinda funny but not surprising.  I believe Fender & Gibson still have plants in China and although the counterfeit guitar market has been changing hands due to imprisonment of some of the "big players", it's still alive & kicking.