News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

The Hurt Locker

Started by Noble Falcon, February 03, 2010, 07:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noble Falcon

Has anyone on BTF seen Hurt Locker? What did you think? I really like the movie and I think it should have been more respected by Hollywood. :usa:

billyjean

Yes, Falcon ... saw it.  It was excellent.

OICU812

It's not bad. Not the best but worth checking out if you like war type flix. I think Gerneration Kill (series) is waaayy better.

truman40

I am not a war movie buff but I liked this movie allot. The story is so so and kinda predictable, except for the ending. It's more the feel of the movie, the grittyness, the pacing, the way the movie tells its story that really appealed to me. I hope the Director wins an Oscar, especially against her ex.
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

Noble Falcon

Quote from: truman40 on February 11, 2010, 03:17:11 PM
I am not a war movie buff but I liked this movie allot. The story is so so and kinda predictable, except for the ending. It's more the feel of the movie, the grittyness, the pacing, the way the movie tells its story that really appealed to me. I hope the Director wins an Oscar, especially against her ex.
+1 :usa:

Diona

We saw it last weekend & my husband thought it was great!  I thought it was good, but I personally think I wasn't in the right mood to want to watch a war movie.  I'm not a war movie buff at all, so I think I wasn't really IN it to see it.  I did think it was good though.

billyjean

Ok, let me play Roger Ebert here or whoever.

The movie really isn't a traditional "war movie".  It's a character study of one particular soldier Jeremy Renner.  In the beginning when they show the title of the movie The Hurt Locker ... you then see much smaller .... "war is a drug".  In this instance, we have Renner disarming bombs and that is his drug.  Most ppl would never volunteer or want a job like that assigned to them.  Renner, however, lives for the adrenaline rush of going one on one with bombs.  Remember, how after he disarms one nasty one in particular, he jumps in the hummer, takes a cigarette out, lights it, takes a drag, and lays his head back on the seat and with satisfaction says ........ That was a good one.  Almost as if he had just had sex.

So for one to expect to see a movie like platoon but set in Iraq, or Apocalypse Now in Iraq, or even a Full Metal Jacket in Iraq, will be somewhat disappointed.  Again, it's a character study.  And because Renner loves the rush so much, his two buddies who guard him while he disarms respect him, however, they don't trust him because they know the rush Renner gets from those bombs is more important than anything else, including their safety.

I applaud the movie, because you do not see character studies like you use to.  And this was the first I saw in a long time.  Renner gave a fine performance.  He didn't over do it, he didn't under cut it.  It was just right.

Jeff Bridges will be up for best actor as well as Renner, and I would like to know if anyone saw Bridges in Crazy Heart.  If you did, start a thread on that one.  I haven't seen it and would like to hear what you have to say about it.

Lastly, I don't know about you ppl, but it's slim pickins out there for movies.  I seem to be watching more and more foreign, and brit films, because we here in usa are really making crap and passing it off as spectacular.