Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Cinco de Mayo

Started by pkd50, May 05, 2005, 05:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pkd50

How are you celebrating the day?

Ana

Up until recently, I don't remember Cinco de Mayo being a big celebration for Latinos.  It has been a very big celebration for Americans.  I remember working downtown and everyone going out after work for margaritas to celebrate.  I went home.  I think my children know more about the Batalla de Puebla than I do and I was born in Mexico.  Also up until recently, the day went almost uncelebrated in Mexico except in Puebla and a couple of other small towns. 

Here's a website that tells more on the history of the Battle of Puebla.

http://www.hpl.lib.tx.us/youth/cinco_war.html

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Ana

Here are some events that you can attend if you want to celebrate.

Cinco De Mayo

May 8, 2005
Assemble on Cermak from Damen to Ashland. Proceed West on Cermak to Marshall Blvd.
Start Time: Noon
312-399-9644

May 5-8, 2005
Douglas Park
1600-1900 S. Sacramento
May 5 & 6: 2 - 10 p.m.
May 7 & 8: 10 a.m. - 10 p.m.
773-843-9738 or 773-847-9889

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Paul Fuentes

This is coming from a Republican Mexican,

Cinco de Mayo is, as pointed out, more celebrated in the US than Mexico.  And there is a VERY good reason for that.  You see, the battle of Puebla that occurred in 1862 was just that, a battle.  It was one of the first assaults by Napoleon III to take over Mexico as a land to check the growing US annexation and serve his monarchy.  And yes, it was significant because and undermanned and underarmed group of 2000 Mexicans defeated 7000 French troops.  However, the French regrouped and came back and kicked our ass.  It wasn't until 1867 that Maximillian (Napoleon's appointed king of Mexico) was beheaded and his garrisons were vanquished from Mexico that Mexico truly gained its independence.  That said, the beer and liquor companies sure like to sponsor and promote Cinco de Mayo. 

Gee...can it be possible that coprorate interests are really behind some of the so called holidays?  Can you say "Sweetest Day"??

I knew you could.

Ana

Speaking of corporate interests, isn't that the reason why most latinos find that it is unnecessary for them to learn English?  Isn't that the reason many Americans are having to learn Spanish?   :o

pkd50

Bru67

Yes, and it gets drunken yuppies out on a weeknight to "appreciate" Mexican culture  ;D  By their 7th Corona they are one with you.  That's the U.S.'s twisted way of incorporating you.  This country can't incorporate anything without commercializing it.  Like St. Patrick's Day.  It's supposed to be a religious celebration of the Patron Saint of Ireland who converted our people from pagans to Christians.  Now it's about massive alcohol abuse, blue diamonds and green clovers.  Sort of full circle I guess.  I'm Irish and it used to annoy me but I eventually gave up.  Now I'll have pint of Guinness or three on that day.  I need it.  Now where is my Corona...

Paul Fuentes

Hmmmm..

What coprporate interests could possibly have an interest have in a work force that works in the United States yet doesn't speak English.  Maybe,,,the chicken farms in Arkansas?  Hey Hillary!!!  aren't you from Arkansas? No?  Oh yeah, your from Park Ridge Illinois, I mean Arkansas, I mean New York.  And big bad Bill did not have sex with that woman.  I welcome your participation in the Democratic presidential primary in 2008. 

ONLY SO I CAN VOTE AGAINST YOUR CARPET BAGGER, CRADLE TO GRAVE GOVERNMENT NIPPLE FEEDING, ETHICALLY AND MORALLY CHALLENGED A@@.

pkd50

JEEZ...........Can I take the question back?

Paul Fuentes

T-Stan RPCV

Paul - please stop being so evasive and non-committal with your opinions and tell us how you really feel. :)

Your being a "Republican Mexican" does not supprise me.  The fact that you appear to be a fairly well educated and intelligent Republican does.  

Paul Fuentes

Was that a shot from the elitist Left?? 

;D

pkd50

Come on kids.......play nice

T-Stan RPCV

But dad...he started it.... :D

Quote from: Paul Fuentes on May 05, 2005, 11:09:12 PM
ONLY SO I CAN VOTE AGAINST YOUR CARPET BAGGER, CRADLE TO GRAVE GOVERNMENT NIPPLE FEEDING, ETHICALLY AND MORALLY CHALLENGED A@@.