News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Crossing Guards

Started by Ted, June 23, 2010, 07:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

really NASTY comment by the head of the crossing guard union against Alderman Marge Paul after last night's city council meeting where the council approved the crossing guard contract.

Why is it the employees of the city of Berwyn think we (the tax payers and residents) work for them rather than they work for us? Why do they view the city of Berwyn as this pot of gold they they get to pick from on the backs of a 15% tax increase?

Here's the story:

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/berwyn/topstories/x1740776341/City-approves-union-contract-with-crossing-guards  

Berwyn approves union contract with crossing guards

By Nick Vogel,
nvogel@mysuburbanlife.com
Berwyn Life
Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 09:46 PM
Last update Jun 22, 2010 @ 09:47 PM

Berwyn, IL — The Berwyn City Council voted to approve a union contract, June 22 at its regular City Hall meeting, with the school crossing guards who work part time under the Berwyn Police Department.

Ald. Margaret Paul, 3rd Ward, cast the only vote against the contract, which has not yet been released to the public.

After the meeting, crossing guard and member of the crossing guard's SEIU Local 73 union Charlene Bradshaw said there are more than 30 employees working as part time crossing guards.

Bradshaw thanked Berwyn Mayor Robert Lovero as he left City Hall after the meeting. "Put in a nice word about the mayor (and the city council), except for that one woman (Paul)." Bradshaw said to a reporter.

OakParkSpartan

Because they get their union pals out to work during the elections and people vote for them. 
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Homebody

I spoke to Ms. Bradshaw after the council meeting. Apparently, our conversation took place after she gave her quote to the newspaper. She has a good sense of humor. I am sure that her comment to the reporter was off the cuff.

She asked me what I have against the Crossing Guards. She wondered why I could vote to spend tens of thousands of Dollars on trucks for Public Works, but not give money to the workers.

It was a good question. It points to a general lack of understanding of City finances. That equipment can be paid out of Motor Fuel Tax funds and bond funds from 20 years ago is not something residents really dig into to understand. I sure didn't before this gig. I can't claim to understand it all. I am trying to learn. There is a lot to it.

When I explained where the $ for two vehicles voted on last night came from, why Berwyn's budget had only a $13,000 surplus, how we keep "re-mortgaging the house" every time we refinance old bonds, why we have had to dip into a 2 Million Dollar line of credit twice in the last 8 months, why the Mayor she campaigned for raised her taxes in a surprise move by 15% when the newspaper said it would be 5%, she had a slightly different opinion of me.
I guess if there are 40 Crossing Guards, than I need to have 39 more conversations like the one with Ms. Bradshaw. Marge

Thor

Well said Alderman Paul and please learn all that you can and keep passing that info on to us. I greatly appreciate you providing the ONLY transparency in our city government.
BTW- I love your ward news letter even though I am not in your ward. All I get are announcements about local events.
Stop your whining and think the way I do

marie

I agree Ms. Paul, it is a lot to learn, and thank you from another citizen who does not reside in your ward for all that you do.  What two vehicles were voted on last night?  Where was the money coming from? 

Cathy

I think you should look into your own column in the Berwyn Life.  "The Voice of the Lone Alderperson"
Againk, Thanks for all you do. 
I thought I would have to teach my children about the world, instead I have to teach the world about my children.

Bonster

I may not always agree with you, but thanks for having the guts to post here. 

I really mean it.  Thor is just kissing your ass.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Screwball

Is the fact that these employees (Crossing Guards) are part of a union? What is at issue?

Thor

Quote from: Screwball on June 23, 2010, 02:26:43 PM
Is the fact that these employees (Crossing Guards) are part of a union? What is at issue?
Exactly! as everyone knows we hate unions, everyone hates unions and baby seals and the elderly, we hate them all!
Personally I think the fact that this contract was voted on before the details were released to the public is what is getting to me. Only those in the "know" that are part of this administration get to know how my tax dollars are being spent before me. But then again I have a thing about transparency.

ps- Whos' ass am I suppose to kiss? nona's, jeff's, Sykrd's,,,,,, oh got alittle vomit in my mouth with that last comment.
Stop your whining and think the way I do

watcher

Quote from: Thor on June 23, 2010, 02:59:13 PM
Quote from: Screwball on June 23, 2010, 02:26:43 PM
Exactly! as everyone knows we hate unions, everyone hates unions and baby seals and the elderly, we hate them all!

and teachers and public schools and immigrants and black presidents and nerds.

But we just love bullies.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

buzz

Quote from: Thor on June 23, 2010, 02:59:13 PM
You stop that, right now  ;)
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Juliet

The quote was from my Mom.  It was a JOKE.  It's news to me that she's the head of the crossing guard union. 
Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6

Juliet

Wow, it was news to her, too. 

From My Mom:

"What was in the contract, each item, was announced to everyone in that was at the Council Meeting

Another guard and I, on our own time, on behalf of the other guards were trying to help the other guards at the City Council Meeting.  Like any other union, people need to know the facts.  I talked with Marge Paul after the meeting ended.  I explained the question she asked and we had a very mature discussion.  She is a very nice person.  After our conversation, she understood more about the contract and we walked away as civil aquaintences.

The guards haven't had a raise in 6 years.  The city government took away all their holiday pay, except for Christmas.  I worked 15 years and had 2 raises.  Bereavement days were limited to mother/father/husband. 

I appreciate the job I have. It's a small amount to a senior income and I really do care."
Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6

Regularguy

Sounds like the Aldermans Pauls clueless about situations, and the newspaper even more cluelessness.
Cheers,
Stanislov

buzz

Quote from: Regularguy on June 30, 2010, 07:51:20 PM
Sounds like the Aldermans Pauls clueless about situations, and the newspaper even more cluelessness.
Cheers,
Stanislov
Cheers and beers Stash.
Cheers and beers.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Regularguy on June 30, 2010, 07:51:20 PM
Cheers,
Stanislov

Final warning.  No need for trolls.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Southsider84

It's a dark day in Berwyn. I used to be a crossing guard. [Personal attack removed (again)]

There are about 50 or more crossing guards. When we voted last time in 2006, an overwhelming majority said NO! And Wayne Lindwall, the ringleader and SEIU flunky sent to do the job, kept trying to get everyone on board year after year. He was defeated again when then crossing guard supervisor Tammy Christman let him have it at a meeting at Michael Anthony's pizzeria to discuss the prospects of a union during the spring of 2008. It was so bad that Mr. Lindwall's supervisor walked out in shame and embarrassment. Well ok, that was in 2008. It's 2 years later. What's changed? How the hell did this get through? Nobody wanted the union at the startup meeting in August of 2009. When someone brought up the union in the form of a question there was a collective groan heard. So what's changed in a year? What made the majority of guards want this? Oh yeah, most DO NOT! There's over 50 guards. You need 26 plus 1 to get it approved. A majority plus one. Something fishy is going on. There were rumors swirling in the summer of 2008 that the union got through. How the hell did those slimey bastards get in now? This is going to be yet another black eye for Berwyn. It doesn't make sense for crossing guards to have a union. They're part time employees. They work 2 hours a day, 5 days a week. And at 10$ an hour (or a few dollars more) so you're lucky if you get to see over 200$ every two weeks. Now, add to that, union dues. It's not worth it. Especially since they don't get paid for days off other than Christmas break and Spring break. They'll find that out the hard way. It's a lot harder to get rid of a union than it is to get it in. I know of a few guards that're going to quit because of this. Good going Berwyn. You just lost the few good crossing guards you ever had. Something still doesn't feel right about it. I'm glad I quit this year. Wayne is just trying to get his stripes and these 4 gullible crossing guards have finally got their wish. Hope it was worth it. Hope you're happy Char, Elisabeth, Kathy and vicky! You finally got your wish.

Juliet

Hey Southsider.  Before you put into print that my mother is "not all there" why don't you put your name out there like we do?  You know her quite well, huh?  Then obviously you are a liar.  My Mother has just taken care of me and my family while I went through cancer this last year.  Months of me not remembering, being scared, and who got me through?  That "not all there" person who remembered EVERY thing the doctors said.  How DARE you malign her behind a moniker.

Southsider.  Let's meet.  Until I see your name, your a freakin lying, uniformed coward, and that's being polite.

Southsider84

I'm being honest. Anyone who's ever had a conversation with your mother can attest to that. Your mother proves how crass she is by making snide comments about an alderman in public. That's low class. I'm a liar? Sure. I don't hate your mother. Nor do I think she's a bad person. But your mother had to be told countless times to do her own corner. She'd be on Clarence when her assigned corner was Ogden and East. When your mother called one of my friends (a former crossing guard) about the union meeting, she called her 5 times. She said she spoke to her 5 times. Maybe that's because she was getting paid to make those phone calls? It's ironic that Vicky Alvarez, who swore up and down that she wasn't for the union got a job last year as an election judge no thanks to Wayne. You're not kidding anyone. Your mother might not be the head of the union but she will be a steward. Afterall, I do give your mother credit for being the most vocal. Meet and solve what? My opinion is my opinion. And I'm not alone. Really? I'm lying and uninformed? Enlighten me. Point out what I said that was so wrong. Sure, Saying she's "not all there" was offensive but other than that. Proof me wrong. Obviously I have some insight. I just don't make up names and throw them around. I wonder why Wayne Lindwall was driving around in his blue SUV taking photos of other guards? Hmmm maybe your mother could answer that one. I'm dying to know.

Terri

Has the crossing guard's contract been released to the public? The Aldermen approved the contract, exactly what was approved?