News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Flooding

Started by billyjean, June 23, 2010, 08:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

Quote from: Juliet on June 25, 2010, 06:35:08 PM
Ted, my Grandfather is a former Sewer worker.  He told me my former house on the 3200 block of Highland had overhead sewers and "you'll never flood".  Well, like you, in the Bermuda Triangle of power outtages for no reason, we only got water the times the battery back up of the sump pump failed.  Granted I'm not living there now, I don't know what happened to that house during the storm, but I feel your pain on losing power all the time for no reason.

I like that phrase, Julie - "the Bermuda Triangle of power outtages"... that's what that area of Berwyn feels like... there have been many times where my home's power was out and I would look across Ridgeland and all the house's have their lights on.

What's especially funny is that Com Ed has the power grid facility on 31st between Ridgeland and East Avenue, which is just two blocks from my house... I talked to a guy today at the LaVergne station and he told me that that Com Ed facility only covers the area west of Ridgeland.  it's frusrating having a power facility so close to the house yet my house (and all the houses east of Ridgeland) are covered by a power grid miles away.

Luckily, though, my basement has had water only twice in 25 years (and this was the first time water came up through the capped drain).  Both times it was because of a long power outage after a severe storm.

Ted

Regularguy

Sorry to burden with bad news Ted, but if your drains had caps
in this storm you most like ruined the clay tiles under the basements floor.
They burst when a drain is caps with that kinds of pressure coming into the house.
Cheers,
Stanislov

Ted

Well, Stan, the cap was there when I bought the house.  The previous owner put them in and then tiled over the basement floor.

Ted

Berwyn Patsy

My mothers old house in Cicero once had a broken clay tile under the basement
floor, and that was awfully expensive to fix.  There was digging inside and outside to the
street actually.  Many years ago but I remember that being a big pain to fix.

Bonster

Quote from: Regularguy on June 25, 2010, 08:04:06 PM
Sorry to burden with bad news Ted, but if your drains had caps
in this storm you most like ruined the clay tiles under the basements floor.
They burst when a drain is caps with that kinds of pressure coming into the house.
Cheers,
Stanislov

No, not with overhead sewers.  The pressure isn't that great. 
If you cap a city connection you're getting the full pressure of the street sewers backing up.  With an overhead sewer config you're only getting the pressure of a 10 foot drain pipe filled with water plus a 2 foot cross section of sump.  At most, the cap had bad threads or a crack near the top that will let water pass.

Regardless, Ted, you should have battery backup system for your sumps. 

Cheers,
Markislov
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Homebody

Here is the latest information from Public Works about how to handle all the storm debris. Marge

All,
I have been in constant contact with Waste Management yesterday and today.  We have discussed the increased amount of trash expected from the storm damage and WMs ability to remove it.  The following is the agreed procedures with WM to remove storm debris:
Please ask residents to cut carpet into two to three (2 to 3) foot width strips and roll the carpet and duct tape or wrap it with twine so the haulers can easily handle the rolls.  Other debris should be bagged and tied closed so it is easily handled by the hauler.  Next, for those residents who had furniture damaged; residents should remove all water soaked furniture to be disposed of from the house.  It can be staged in the back yard and one piece of furniture per week should be placed next to the toter against their garage for removal.  All carpet, bags, boxes, and other items should be neatly stacked for easy pick up on their normal trash day 
If debris is piled in the alley and is not easily removed, WM will pass the pile and require a special pick up to be quoted on a case by case basis.  Our Building Department has been included with these discussions and will be understanding regarding storm damaged items being staged in residents back yards and will not issue blight tickets for a period of up to three weeks to allow residents to dispose of storm damaged items and follow the above guidelines.
If private trees have fallen and need immediate attention, I can assist homeowners by getting them a quote from a tree contractor for tree and branch removal.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need additional information
Robert Schiller
Public Works Director
City of Berwyn
Ph.  708.749.4700  ext.3300
Fax  708.749.9503

Homebody

I received a call from the PW Director this morning telling me that there was already a problem with the way some people in the 3rd Ward have been piling up debris in the alley. He advised that Waste Management would pass the house up due to the way stuff had been tossed out. I also heard from neighbors that they are having trouble with scavengers who came last night and early morning to pick through debris. Garbage bags were ripped open. Garbage totes knocked over and picked through. I don't think we can blame residents for not having neat piles of junk.

I sent an e-mail asking if the City could waive the fee and permit requirement for dumpsters for one week to allow people to rent them, perhaps sharing the cost with other households. This would help. Marge

OakParkSpartan

Couldn't WM just send a couple of extra trucks through?  Surprisingly, there is not that much junk up here in the 7th.  Maybe we got luckier than the 3rd.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

billyjean

Quote from: Homebody on June 26, 2010, 04:37:52 PM
I received a call from the PW Director this morning telling me that there was already a problem with the way some people in the 3rd Ward have been piling up debris in the alley. He advised that Waste Management would pass the house up due to the way stuff had been tossed out. I also heard from neighbors that they are having trouble with scavengers who came last night and early morning to pick through debris. Garbage bags were ripped open. Garbage totes knocked over and picked through. I don't think we can blame residents for not having neat piles of junk.

I sent an e-mail asking if the City could waive the fee and permit requirement for dumpsters for one week to allow people to rent them, perhaps sharing the cost with other households. This would help. Marge

All my neighbors piled everything by the front of the curb ON the parkway so as not to block any parking.  I piled all the branches that fell, some pretty good sized ones, on the corner.  They came, they cleaned up the block, and from what I see down my alley, no one put any debris like branches etc. in the alley.  Not sure if they took opportunity to dispose of stuff ruined in the flood by putting it in the alley.  To me it would be no different than Spring cleaning, when ppl go over what they got and just throw away stuff they don't want anymore.  WM picks that up.  Why would this be any different?  I don't see any large items like a couch or anything like that.  I think most on my block have just dried out their stuff and will clean it off somehow, and keep it, but stuff totally ruined had to go to alley.  Again, however, I don't see anything down my way.  I did have broken branches inside the yard from trees inside, those were gathered up (had some tree damage, had to wack off what was broken) and broke them up even more and put them inside bins with covers for yard waste.

This doesn't happen every other week, so I think WM should zip it for the money we pay them.

Bonster

Quote from: billyjean on June 26, 2010, 05:06:41 PM
This doesn't happen every other week, so I think WM should zip it for the money we pay them.

+10

buzz

Quote from: Homebody on June 26, 2010, 04:37:52 PM
He advised that Waste Management would pass the house up due to the way stuff had been tossed out.
Oh really ?
Screw them, let them pick up the slack and earn their $$$$.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Regularguy

Why do 3rd ward peoples not understand? Rules
are same for everyone elses year round, just not because of water.
Cheers,
Stanislov

buzz

Ya' sound like bear, with a bad accent.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

~LL~

Quote from: Rt. 66 on June 26, 2010, 06:33:44 PM
Quote from: billyjean on June 26, 2010, 05:06:41 PM

+10

I'll second that +10!
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Bonster

Quote from: Regularguy on June 26, 2010, 07:19:22 PM
Why do 3rd ward peoples not understand? Rules
are same for everyone elses year round, just not because of water.
Cheers,
Stanislov

That's right, the rules are the same year 'round and the rules is - WM takes EVERYTHING. 

The relatively few exceptions should be noted and folks simply need to plan accordingly by calling... (tires, refrigerators, etc.).

Bonster

A quick review:
MEAT, TIRES

Quote from: Bear on November 13, 2008, 09:38:26 AM
WM will not take it. Try suburban tire on Ogden and Clarence

WM will take it.  You just need to call in advance.

Per WM:

Guests: http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa238/mcr_312/forum/WM-Tires.jpg
PAINT

Quote from: Nazerac on November 13, 2008, 10:20:30 AM
What about paint?  Do you know if WM picks up paint?

At your service...

Guests: http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa238/mcr_312/forum/WM-Paint.jpg
TVs

Quote from: buzz on November 14, 2008, 04:50:27 PM
Just wait til' February, when everyone starts dumping their useless old TVs !

Does anyone know if the City is planning any type of pickup for these ?  Isn't there a fee if WM picks them up, or will WM even pick them up ???
The only recycling place I know of is in Naperville.  People aren't going to drive out there.  They'll all end up in the alley or in some business' dumpster. 

Sir, yes, sir.

Guests: http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa238/mcr_312/forum/WM-TVs.jpg

Quote from: Boris on November 13, 2008, 11:51:46 AM
What about bodies? Will WM pick up dead bodies?

Bonster

This was cut off -
Household Appliances - e.g.: A/C, Dehumidifiers, Dishwashers, Dryers, Freezers (empty and doors off), Furnace, Hot Water Tank, Refrigerator, Stove, Washer.   

- Must have 24 hour notice prior to service day
- $20 per appliance must be prepaid by Visa/Master/Amex/EZ Pay via phone or Cashier's check/MO on Front Door.

Microwave ovens are treated as Large Appliances (free)

Bonster

CARPET- INCLUDED IN MONTHLY COST - MUST BE PREPARED PROPERLY

- CUT/BUNDLED/TIED IN 4 FT LENGHTS - BUNDLES SHOULD NOT BE BIGGER THAN 2 FT AROUND
- 50 LB MAX PER BUNDLE

OakParkSpartan

Sounds like they should take most of this.

Common sense says you don't want a bunch of nasty wet crap sitting in hundreds of back yards.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

billyjean

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on June 26, 2010, 11:40:32 PM
Sounds like they should take most of this.

Common sense says you don't want a bunch of nasty wet crap sitting in hundreds of back yards.

The only other suggestion I would have to ppl is that you shouldn't pile up in alley until night before pick up.  That might cut down on those that would rumage through the stuff and make a mess.