Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

1970 John Lennon Silk Screen by Toad Hall

Started by billyjean, July 11, 2010, 03:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyjean

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac82/Ruffian442/IMG_1085.jpg

Have this silk screen.  Bought it at head shop in Old Town back around 1970.  I saw a guy maybe selling approx. the same thing on craigslist:

John Lennon - $2000 (Riverview, MI)

Date: 2010-06-03, 9:54AM EDT
Reply to: sale-wvhyp-1772950004@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

1970's large silk screen of John Lennon. This silk screen was made by "Toad Hall Assoc." in East Lansing Michigan. It measures 45" X 71". Background color is bright orange silk (?) , the image and graphics are in black ink. We also have another one, same size in yellow, that portrays laughing Jesus from the same company, will negotiate prise on this one. Will post picture soon.
Call Mark @ 734-284-1629 Days please!

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1772950004
END

However, he mentions "orange" background.  As you can see, it's not orange, nor do I want $2,000 for it.  But I'm not giving it away either.  This needs to be stretched and mounted and placed in a large space up high.  Great collectors item.  I'm giving first crack at collectors here at BTF.  After that I will put on Craigslist.  Least I have a pic.  It's by Toad Hall.  The dimensions are as exactly as stated above in the dude's posting on craigslist.  PM me if you have any interest.  I remember when I walked into the head shop the place was huge.  Kinda like a medium sized warehouse.  Ceilings were like 20ft.  I saw it on back wall ... you couldn't miss it ... had to have it.  Kept it all this time.  I want to put it the hands of someone that would treasure it.

OakParkSpartan

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

billyjean

any reasoning behind that?  cause I thought you were kind of a craigslist guy.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: billyjean on July 11, 2010, 08:30:28 PM
any reasoning behind that?  cause I thought you were kind of a craigslist guy.

For local stuff that isn't worth a lot, or something that I just want to get rid of quickly, I am.

But for something like this which may have potential value, why not try to get the most for your money?  If you could get $500 for it, I think you'd feel like treating yourself to a nice dinner or something.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

buzz

These #'s are at least 5 yrs. old but the guys are still there to my knowlege.  They did appraisals on fine art/auction pieces but may be willing  to refer you to someone for a quick appraisal....  Know what you're selling, sometimes a color variation can increase the value.
Christies    (312) 787-2765  Richard Zick  (Zwick?)
Sotheby's  (312)  664-6800  Warren Rassler

And unfortunately for sellers prices are way low right now.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

OakParkSpartan

Another phone call I'd make is to Saper Gallery in East Lansing, MI.  They tend to carry higher end art and given that it was produced by an East Lansing guy, they may know something about the piece.  www.sapergalleries.com

Aubrey312

You might also consider Leslie Hindman Auctioneers:  http://www.lesliehindman.com/   They are a local Chicago Auction House.  I've consigned with them before and done well.  There might also be Beatles specific or Rock and Roll Memorabillia auction houses you may want to check into.  Ebay is a good option too, although prices are down in the collecting market.

It's a really neat piece!

eno

QuoteI remember when I walked into the head shop the place was huge.  Kinda like a medium sized warehouse.  Ceilings were like 20ft.

"Bizarre Bazaar" on Wells Street. They Had a great collection of bootleg records.
"None of us have to settle for the best this administration offers: a dull, adventureless journey from one entitlement to the next, a government-planned life, a country where everything is free but us." - Paul Ryan

billyjean

Quote from: eno on July 18, 2010, 06:39:40 AM
QuoteI remember when I walked into the head shop the place was huge.  Kinda like a medium sized warehouse.  Ceilings were like 20ft.

"Bizarre Bazaar" on Wells Street. They Had a great collection of bootleg records.

Wow !!! was that the place?  Good memory there, eno !!!!!

eno

Quote from: billyjean on July 18, 2010, 10:22:04 AM

Wow !!! was that the place?  Good memory there, eno !!!!!

That's 'cause I never inhaled... ;D
"None of us have to settle for the best this administration offers: a dull, adventureless journey from one entitlement to the next, a government-planned life, a country where everything is free but us." - Paul Ryan

Boris

I bought my first bong there when I was 16 (I think...I may have been younger than that, and had someone buy it for me...it's all kinda hazy now). I grew up down the street from there. Loved that place, and the Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum across the street.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Berwyn Patsy

Drug or beer Bong, Boris?  You, were kinda young to be doing that stuff!

Boris

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on September 21, 2010, 03:18:14 PM

A "beer bong" is just a bong that you have put beer into instead of water. But yes, I started quite early.  :fro:
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

billyjean

Quote from: Boris on October 23, 2010, 10:54:50 AM
Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on September 21, 2010, 03:18:14 PM

A "beer bong" is just a bong that you have put beer into instead of water. But yes, I started quite early.   :fro:

We can tell.