News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Meijers opening new store at Cermak Plaza

Started by bigolo, July 12, 2010, 04:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigolo

Just got word that Meijers super market is planing to open a store at the old Service Merchandise location. Does anyone else know anything about this?

Diona

Don't know about that for sure, but if they do that would be a good thing.

Never been to a Meijers before, but I've heard good things about the store from relatives & friends that have them in their towns.

Berwyn Patsy

I haven't been to a Meijers either, but also hear good things about the store.
They just opened one in Orland Park last week.
     Good for Berwyn !

mustang54

And Applebees was going into the bank building. I'll beleive it when they open their doors.

The Jackal

I HIGHLY DOUBT the Service Merchandise location is big enough to house a Meijer's.

mustang54

Quote from: The Jackal on July 13, 2010, 08:35:10 AM
I HIGHLY DOUBT the Service Merchandise location is big enough to house a Meijer's.
My wife said the same thing but weren't they talking about also demolishing stores on both sides of the old Service Merchandise store in the new plans?

jfrickind

The last thing I heard was if Meijer's comes they will demolish a couple of buildings to make the space work (100 K sf) as opposed to food-4-less which would require less space.  They were trying really hard to land Meijers.

When I lived in Springfield we shopped at Meijer often.  It is a nice store.

JD

The Jackal

Well, hopefully Party City and Payless Shoe Source know about those plans.

AmazonAnne

Well from a friend who has a source who works for Meijer's, yes there is a plan for Meijer's to go into Cermak Plaza...They really need to make it official for all the naysayers out there...And, btw, Thank God we didnt get an Applebee's, crappy food and crappy place..

J'sMom

In order to fit a full-sized Meijer's store at CP, they would have to demo from the old Walgreen's space down the strip to Office Depot (at least). Typical Meijer's stores are ginormous.

Tuttles

I would be thrilled to see a Meijer's in the Plaza.  I would describe the store as sort of a cross between Super Target & Super Walmart.  It would be a really good thing for Berwyn.

I am wondering if Meijer's has different types of store configurations for different areas?  The suburban & rural Meijer's I have seen are HUGE. Then again, there are different sizes of Jewel-Osco, Target, Walmart, Dominick's, Ikea, etc.  In Chicago, I lived by the Addison Mall where they put in a 2 story Target.  In Lincoln Park there is a 2 story Dominick's on Fullerton.  In Hodgkins there is the 2 story Menards...so I am thinking it's possible to put just about anything in the Plaza space if someone is willing to do it. 

Did anyone else notice in the weekly sales fliers that come in the mail that a week or so ago Meijer's fliers were included in with our local sales papers?  The fliers were good for the Bolingbrook & Plainfield stores.  I wonder if that is indicative of future Meijer's to come to the Plaza? 

Bonster

Quote from: AmazonAnne on July 13, 2010, 10:30:03 AM
Well from a friend who has a source who works for Meijer's, yes there is a plan for Meijer's to go into Cermak Plaza...They really need to make it official for all the naysayers out there...And, btw, Thank God we didnt get an Applebee's, crappy food and crappy place..

Agreed.  Out of all those style chains (TGIF, Chili's, etc.) they are the worst.  $8.99 cheeseburger & fries that's barely a step up from BK.  I wouldn't dare touch their new $4.99 menu.  bleeachh...
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

MindoverMatter

I hope so!  Super happy we didn't get an Applebee's food sucks!

mustang54

Apparently Meijers does do different configurations in the size of their stores. Channel 7 news just showed the new store opening in Orland. They said it is 105,000 square feet which is smaller than most of their other stores.

The Jackal

Tuttles,

Don't read too much into the Meijers flyers being in the local paper. Meijer simply wanted to market to its Bolingbrook/Plainfield residents employed by Berwyn...

The Jackal

Mustang,

Every single Meijer store I've ever been to, and I've been to quite a few in several states, is SIGNIFICANTLY larger than the Cermak Plaza space. MUCH bigger.

mustang54

Quote from: The Jackal on July 13, 2010, 04:23:06 PM
Mustang,

Every single Meijer store I've ever been to, and I've been to quite a few in several states, is SIGNIFICANTLY larger than the Cermak Plaza space. MUCH bigger.
I agree ,but the plaza has alot of empty store fronts some of which are decent size. And weren't they talking about sub dividing the old Circuit City store and relocating some stores there to make room for a large retailer like Meijers?

Bonster

Quote from: mustang54 on July 13, 2010, 04:20:05 PM
  Apparently Meijers does do different configurations in the size of their stores. Channel 7 news just showed the new store opening in Orland. They said it is 105,000 square feet which is smaller than most of their other stores.

Sounds about right.

Quote from: Vic0218 on April 07, 2010, 04:58:55 PM
http://www.rblandmark.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=6018&TM=64531.64

Today, city officials will don hard hats and hoist silver-tipped spades to celebrate the ground-breaking of a $10 million renovation that will include a complete resurfacing of the parking lot and the demolition of one-third of the 1950s-era the shopping center to allow for the construction of a supermarket that will cover up to 100,000 square feet of space.

"We have a supermarket looking to take up to 100,000 square feet," Flight said. Asked if Food4Less, previously rumored as a possible tenant, was still being considered, Flight said the store was in the picture, but he couldn't confirm whether it was the store he was negotiating with.

Robert Pauly

Quote from: The Jackal on July 13, 2010, 04:20:53 PM
Tuttles,

Don't read too much into the Meijers flyers being in the local paper. Meijer simply wanted to market to its Bolingbrook/Plainfield residents employed by Berwyn...

It's cool to live in Bolingbrook .........

We're No. 43! Bolingbrook Edges Naperville in Money's Best Places to Live
July 13, 2010 11:39 AM

Bolingbrook has surpassed neighboring Naperville on Money magazine's 2010 list of best places in the country to live.

In an article to be published in the August issue of the magazine but posted online Monday, Money cited Bolingbrook's fishing lake at the Town Center, Theatre-on-the Hill and the entrance of major retailers like IKEA and Macy's when it ranked the suburb No. 43 on its list of Top 100 "Best Places to Live."

"This Chicago suburb doesn't take itself too seriously, and that's reflected in the many recreational opportunities it bestows on its residents," the magazine said.

However, the magazine knocked Bolingbrook because most residents must commute to Chicago to find work.

Once a Top 5 stalwart on Money's List, Naperville fell to No. 54 this year. The magazine said Naperville "seems to have gotten the suburban lifestyle down to a science. Excellent schools and an award-winning public library draw many new families to Naperville every year."

The magazine also cited Naperville's annual Ribfest and Fourth of July as draws to the city.

Naperville was ranked as high as No. 2 in 2006 and was ranked No. 3 in 2005 and 2008.

Other Chicago suburbs to make Money's list were Mount Prospect (No. 56) and Arlington Heights (No. 59).

Money narrowed its list after looking at 746 cities with populations of between 50,000 and 300,000 and screening out retirement communities, towns with significant job losses and towns with poor education and crime scores, the magazine said.

-- Gerry Smith

Bonster

Where does Berwyn rank?

Naperville's Ribfest is a farce in terms of ribs.  They used to have locals, now just national traveling rib companies. 

Mount Prospect over Arlington Heights?  Really?