News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

James Bond - Sean Connery - Never Say Never Again

Started by billyjean, August 15, 2010, 03:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyjean

I'm a fan of Bond movies, but only the ones with Sean Connery.

The other night I watched Never Say Never Again, which I had not seen before.  I couldn't believe what I was watching.  It was so horrible I had to keeping on watching to see exactly how horrible it would get.  I'm watching a James Bond movie, yet this did not seem like a Bond movie.  Am I on another planet?

We all know the ole Sean Connery Bond movies had a certain flavor and as we go from Dr. No, to Russia With Love all the way to Diamonds are Forever, one detects there is a certain formula being used from opening scene where you see Bond finishing his last mission, then being summoned to begin the next .. which will be the story you are about to see.  They open with the whirlpool Eye and Bond silouette with gun ... then a good singing voice begins a song that will serve as the backdrop melody of the movie, with sprinkles of the tradition Bond music mixed in.

I couldn't for the life of me understand WHY Connery would appear in such a horrible movie such as Never Say Never.  Then I did a lil research and see Never Say Never, as horrible as it was, earned the most money of all his Bond movies, even tho they spent the most money making it.  Second it was NOT EON Productions that made it.  Never Say Never did not follow formula and looked like something we could make in Bonster's backyard.

EON Productions produced six:

Dr. No
From Russia With Love
Goldfinger
Thunderball
You Only Live Twice
Diamonds Are Forever

In any event, I learned a little bit about Bond movies with Sean Connery.

BTW, the next night You Only Live Twice was on and after consideration ... that also was a bomb.  The only thing good about that movie was the song.

rbain

You Only Live Twice was the only EON Bond film where you never see Bond drive- and they had to make the Datsun 2000 a convertible because Connery couldn't fit in the coupe.

It did give us the template for Dr. Evil, so there's that at least...

I do like In Her Majesties Secret Service for a non-Connery bond film. Plus it has the lovely Daina Rigg AND a young Joanna Lumley... Both of whom were featured in the Avengers (Joanna Lumley in the NEW Avengers series.)
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."