News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Beautiful Bungalow For Sale

Started by littlemonkey, August 09, 2010, 09:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MindoverMatter

quote author=Rt. 66 link=topic=9797.msg166188#msg166188 date=1281481953]
Quote from: pkd50 on August 10, 2010, 05:52:37 PM
If I read it right, the master is on the second floor and two bedrooms are below grade.  Meaning basement?   Tough sell to a family with young kids. 

Two additional BR's are below grade.  6BR total, 1 upstairs, 3 on the main level, 2 in the basement.

One of the 1st floor BR's is pictured (looks like an office):

[/quote]

Very nice house...but Berwyn rules is you can't have a bedroom in the basement so how is listed with two bedrooms in the basement??

Bonster

I believe you can have "official" basement BRs if they meet certain criteria with respect to windows and ceiling height. 
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

MindoverMatter

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: MindoverMatter on August 11, 2010, 01:01:48 PM
How do I find that out?

The building code.

Roughly, I think you need 7' ceilings and 2 ways out of the basement (either stairway or an egress window).

Building an apartment is a no no, BTW.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on August 11, 2010, 01:09:43 PM
How do I find that out?

The building code.

Roughly, I think you need 7' ceilings and 2 ways out of the basement (either stairway or an egress window).

I'll bet you'll find lots of basement apartments that were grandfathered in that don't meet either of those criteria.  I wonder if when they sell they are allowed to keep those apartments as is because they were grandfathered in or if they're screwed - which I think they should be considering the fire hazard as well as an overcrowding issue.  I have one on my block like that.

jfrickind

When my wife and I were shopping for homes in Berwyn 4 years ago there were several homes that we were not allowed to go into the basement.  We were told by the owners, "If you are serious about buying the home we'll show you the basement but not until you put a bid in."

Red flag.  Our realtor was nonplussed.

JD

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: jfrickind on August 12, 2010, 07:40:14 PM
When my wife and I were shopping for homes in Berwyn 4 years ago there were several homes that we were not allowed to go into the basement.  We were told by the owners, "If you are serious about buying the home we'll show you the basement but not until you put a bid in."

JD
I'll go out on a limb here and say there was evidence of water damage down there.  Anyone who would buy a home nowadays without looking at it from top to bottom themselves plus having their own home inspection is a complete and utter idiot - unless it's a foreclosure that they're basically giving away.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on August 12, 2010, 07:45:41 PM
Quote from: jfrickind on August 12, 2010, 07:40:14 PM

JD
I'll go out on a limb here and say there was evidence of water damage down there.  Anyone who would buy a home nowadays without looking at it from top to bottom themselves plus having their own home inspection is a complete and utter idiot - unless it's a foreclosure that they're basically giving away.

Illegal apartment.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

bigolo

berwynguy

It IS an amazing house that I would personally love to own.  However, $376,000 is a TON of dough in this market for this area.  You could buy two decent houses in Berwyn for the same money.  The problem is that if the buyer is going to finance, their bank will need comparable's to justify lending that type of money.  Are they going to find them?
Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

pkd50

Is there going to be an open house?

The Jackal

Ms. N,

Hate to go off topic here, but according to my calculations vis a vis a previous post of yours in this thread, you have children TWENTY THREE years apart?

God Bless you.......and Mr. N!!!

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: The Jackal on August 13, 2010, 11:29:46 AM
Ms. N,

Hate to go off topic here, but according to my calculations vis a vis a previous post of yours in this thread, you have children TWENTY THREE years apart?

21 years.  My first at 20 (way too early) and my last little surprise at 42 (way too late).  Something about those Irish genes I guess.

The Jackal

mustang54

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on August 13, 2010, 11:51:40 AM
Quote from: The Jackal on August 13, 2010, 11:29:46 AM
Ms. N,

21 years.  My first at 20 (way too early) and my last little surprise at 42 (way too late).  Something about those Irish genes I guess.
And I thought we had a spread with 15 years between our first and third. You got us beat good,lol!

MindoverMatter

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on August 12, 2010, 07:33:01 PM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on August 11, 2010, 01:09:43 PM
How do I find that out?

The building code.

I'll bet you'll find lots of basement apartments that were grandfathered in that don't meet either of those criteria.  I wonder if when they sell they are allowed to keep those apartments as is because they were grandfathered in or if they're screwed - which I think they should be considering the fire hazard as well as an overcrowding issue.  I have one on my block like that.

I bought my house about 5 years ago and before we could close on the house they had to remove the stove in the basement.  The previous owners owned for 35 years...so i am not sure anything was grandfathered in. 

AmazonAnne

I dont think $376,000 is an outrageous amount for that house, obviously they are not in a hurry to sell and are not going to give it away..Good for them for pricing the home according to what its worth, it may take awhile to sell but eventually someone will buy it. Its a beautiful home and worth it!

MindoverMatter

Quote from: AmazonAnne on August 13, 2010, 02:29:24 PM
I dont think $376,000 is an outrageous amount for that house, obviously they are not in a hurry to sell and are not going to give it away..Good for them for pricing the home according to what its worth, it may take awhile to sell but eventually someone will buy it. Its a beautiful home and worth it!
+1 on the price...

Most of the homes that are on the market for 1/2 the price are in horrible conditions.  When the day is done you have invested for the home more then the price you got it at.

tony la

Most underwriters will allow one comparable from Riverside
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

treeguy

Looks like the signs are down and someone else has moved in.  Who know how to look up what it went for?  Or did they rent it?