News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

BERWYN CITY OFFICIALS IN BED WITH THE OUTREACH MINISTRY?

Started by Robinhood, August 10, 2010, 05:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robinhood

BERWYN CITY OFFICIALS IN BED WITH THE OUTREACH MINISTRY ON 32ND AND CLINTON?

Anyone ever wonder why G.A.N.G.'s of 15-20+ men are allowed to loiter on the steps of Victory Outreach for hours at a time, when the center is either open for business or officially closed?  (G.A.N.G. is the acronym Victory uses to describe itself, Gods Anointed Now Generation.)

Anyone ever wonder why the two vans that transport large groups of men to and from the center, all hours of the day and night, without Berwyn plates/stickers etc., can park illegally without ever getting ticketed for:

Parking in senior/handicap zones, without senior/handicap plates/permits/stickers, etc., all hours of the day and night
Parking in the street cleaning zones on designated street cleaning days
Parking in front of fire hydrants
Parking on the corners in the restricted areas painted in yellow, etc., etc., etc.

Anyone curious why whenever the police are called for these illegal actions they either ignore the call or refuse to ticket the G.A.N.G. offenders?

Here is an example of how the City of Berwyn responds to citizens complaints:

From early Sunday morning (8/8/2010) one white G.A.N.G van, one blue G.A.N.G van, G.A.N.G leader's gold Lexus, and a maroon car were parked in the handicap zone on 32nd and Clinton.

At 10 P.M., an irate citizen called the police to report the incident.  No one responded.

At 11:00 P.M. a second call was made to the police and eventually an officer responded, however only the maroon car was ticketed.

The blue van sat overnight in defiance of the overnight ban for non- Berwyn residents, without a visitor's pass,  in a handicap zone, without receiving a single ticket.

On Monday morning (8/9/2010) the blue G.A.N.G van that was parked overnight was joined by the gold Lexus owned by G.A.N.G's leader, and both sat illegally parked in the handicap zone.  Additionally, the white G.A.N.G van sat illegally parked across the street in the street cleaning zone which was scheduled for street cleaning.

The police were called-no one responded

A second call was made to report the illegal parking situation.

Several minutes later, the police arrived, chatted with 8-9 men that emerged from the Victory Outreach Center, and then drove away without issuing tickets to any of the unoccupied, illegally parked vehicles.

Several minutes after a 3rd call was made the same officer returned and spoke to victory's leader.

After their discussion the officer drove away WITHOUT ticketing the unoccupied and illegally parked vehicles, which remained illegally parked and un-ticketed the entire day.

When the officer was confronted by two Berwyn citizens regarding Berwyn's biased, and unfair refusal to ticket the offender on not one of the 8 parking violation committed against Berwyn's parking ordinances, and which would have amounted to over $1,500 in fines , he responded by saying that the leader of Victory Outreach has a special arrangement with the City of Berwyn and he has been parking like this for well over a year.  The officer then went on to say that since the street cleaner just went by (it was 2:30'ish by this time and the street cleaner had just passed by) he wasn't going to ticket the vehicles because Berwyn has a policy not to ticket cars after the street has been cleaned, regardless of the 9 A.M. to 4 P.M. posted time restriction. 

Interestingly, in contradiction to his previous remark, the officer proceeded to ticket a vehicle belonging to a Berwyn resident for being parked in the street cleaning zone less than 5 minutes after he said Berwyn doesn't ticket after the streets have been cleaned.  The streets had been cleaned.  I assume that citizen doesn't have a special arrangement with the City.

To summarize, 9 parking violations occurred between Sunday and Monday.  8 of those violations belonged  to the leader of the Victory Outreach and went un-ticketed despite numerous reports to the police department.  The one car that was ticketed belonged to a Berwyn resident and non-member of the Victory Outreach center.  When one considers that the city's arrangement with Victory Outreach has resulted in over a year and a half of ignored and un-ticketed parking infractions on behalf of Victory Outreach one thing is certain.  The budget deficit that led the city to levy a 15% tax hike against Berwyn homeowners could have been offset by Victory's 1 ½ years of parking violations.  Had the city been as diligent in ticketing Victory as it has in levying taxes against honest  and hardworking Berwyn citizens it could have collected well over $411,000 from Victory's year and a half  of parking infractions.  This is only the cost associated with the 3 vehicles parking in the handicap zone.  If the other parking infractions had been included we'd be talking about a lot more money.  However, as it stands, Victory has not had to pay 1 cent. 

Oh, yeah...for those of you interested in why the city also allowed Victory to dump tons of gallons of paint down the sewer (Hopefully it was not lead based) without any reprisals I suggest you contact the EPA as it appears the City of Berwyn has done nothing about that matter either.  I guess its due to their "special arrangement."  As for me I wonder just how far the rabbit hole goes.

Post script:
Outside of committing a crime and being sentenced to serve jail time for  it, which would make me eligible for membership in the Victory Outreach program, how do I get "special arrangement" to park illegally?

~LL~

"The officer then went on to say that since the street cleaner just went by (it was 2:30'ish by this time and the street cleaner had just passed by) he wasn't going to ticket the vehicles because Berwyn has a policy not to ticket cars after the street has been cleaned, regardless of the 9 A.M. to 4 P.M. posted time restriction. "

Since when? 
My understanding of the 9 to 4 parking restriction is it exists so that other types of maintenance could also be done on streets between 9am and 4 pm - like tree trimming!  And, I do know of residents who have received tickets at 3:30 p.m., etc. 

Very sorry to hear of these ongoing situations and do have to ask exactly what does this group contribute towards the greater good in Berwyn?
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: ~LL~ on August 10, 2010, 05:48:32 PM
"The officer then went on to say that since the street cleaner just went by (it was 2:30'ish by this time and the street cleaner had just passed by) he wasn't going to ticket the vehicles because Berwyn has a policy not to ticket cars after the street has been cleaned, regardless of the 9 A.M. to 4 P.M. posted time restriction. "

Since when? 
My understanding of the 9 to 4 parking restriction is it exists so that other types of maintenance could also be done on streets between 9am and 4 pm - like tree trimming!  And, I do know of residents who have received tickets at 3:30 p.m., etc. 

Very sorry to hear of these ongoing situations and do have to ask exactly what does this group contribute towards the greater good in Berwyn?
Well, that's certainly not the policy in place on my block.  At exactly 9:08 this morning when I thought to look out to see where my daughter had parked the car last night when she came home (after I was asleep) and saw it was parked on the wrong side I literally screamed and ran outside like a house on fire after realizing we were parked on the wrong side of the street.  My 9 year-old was traumatized because she wasn't quite sure who had died.  There was no ticket but I was totally surprised because my experience here is they ticket between 9 to 4 on street cleaning days non-stop.  Even in winter when they don't clean the streets but still collect their pound of flesh.

Berwyn Patsy

For once, I wish a topic such as this could be followed thru to find out what
is really going on.   So, Robinhood, now that you have brought this to everyones attention,
what is your next step?   I can't believe you already don't have a plan in place?

tgoddess

My next step would be to go the media, since the city/BPD seems unwilling to respond.
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

OakParkSpartan

I'd go ask the mayor at city council.

Bring photos, dates, times, license plate #'s.

Do your homework.

Ask specific questions, not general questions he can talk around.  And follow up if he doesn't answer the question.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Cathy

OPS:  Exactly what I was thinking.  Photos with dates and times, presented to the Berwyn City Council.  However, I would also be calling the Life, Trib and Sun Times. 
I thought I would have to teach my children about the world, instead I have to teach the world about my children.

buzz

They ticket my block all day long, whether it's been swept or not.  It's supposed to be kept clear for tree maintenance, etc.  They enforce those restrictions all year, street sweeping or snow, they're enforced.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

NYWREB

Is it possible that since this organizaiton is religious in nature, they are being given a break?  I know several St Leonard parishioners and parents who disregard the resident only parking on Clarnence during mass hours and school drop off/pick up, graduation, classroom parties, special lunches, etc.  These parking violoations go un-punished (which I for one am grateful for!) - but I think it's a good-faith effort to the faith community that the residents welcome them.

It sounds like this ministry is not very welcome, but that the city may be trying to provide them with the same benefits bestowed on other faith instiutions in the city. 

Not everything that happens or doesn't in this town has to be a conspiracy. 

Cathy

I could very well be wrong, but it sounds like these violations are not happening only during Mass and School drop off/pick up times.  It sounds like these violations are occurring from Sat thru Mon.  I would believe that a Christian organization would understand the need for handicapped parking etc.
I thought I would have to teach my children about the world, instead I have to teach the world about my children.

Beans

Quote from: NYWREB on August 11, 2010, 07:23:44 AM
Is it possible that since this organizaiton is religious in nature, they are being given a break?  I know several St Leonard parishioners and parents who disregard the resident only parking on Clarnence during mass hours and school drop off/pick up, graduation, classroom parties, special lunches, etc.  These parking violoations go un-punished (which I for one am grateful for!) - but I think it's a good-faith effort to the faith community that the residents welcome them.

It sounds like this ministry is not very welcome, but that the city may be trying to provide them with the same benefits bestowed on other faith instiutions in the city.  

Not everything that happens or doesn't in this town has to be a conspiracy.  

Right is right and wrong is wrong!

We pay taxes, they don't. Hell, most of the congregation aren't even residents. They do nothing for our local economy, we don't need their "outreach". And I'm sick of them taking a big steamy dump in my neighborhood.

Not everyone is "religious" so the religion card is not flying here. Rules are rules, enforce them or allow everyone the same luxuries. Give me a break.

Conspiracy?...we live in one of the most politically corrupt states in the union...I donno, you tell me.

BTW - welcome to Berwyntalk Robinhood

~LL~

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on August 10, 2010, 06:05:44 PM
Quote from: ~LL~ on August 10, 2010, 05:48:32 PM

Since when? 

Well, that's certainly not the policy in place on my block.  At exactly 9:08 this morning when I thought to look out to see where my daughter had parked the car last night when she came home (after I was asleep) and saw it was parked on the wrong side I literally screamed and ran outside like a house on fire after realizing we were parked on the wrong side of the street.  My 9 year-old was traumatized because she wasn't quite sure who had died.  There was no ticket but I was totally surprised because my experience here is they ticket between 9 to 4 on street cleaning days non-stop.  Even in winter when they don't clean the streets but still collect their pound of flesh.

Mrs Northsider - I feel your fear!  I've been ticketed at 9:02 A.M. on a street-cleaning day.  And, shame on me...
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Homebody

I am not a fan of the "special understanding" the police department has with churches. The practice of allowing church members to park in no parking zones, etc. has been going on for many administrations. I do understand the reason for the "understanding". Look around. How many churches, particularly in the 3rd Ward, have adequate parking for attendees? None.

When the congregation drives into the 3rd Ward for services on Sunday there is never enough parking close to the church doors. Victory Outreach Church referenced in Robinhood's post has made agreements with Emerson School and the dentist on Stanley to allow congregates to use the parking lots. Many Victory Outreach congregates do utilize that parking. Many want to be as close to the front door as possible.

Back to my point, sorry. So, the understanding, as I was told by former Chief Kushner, is that church goers in Berwyn get a break when they are attending services because there is so little parking available in the areas near most of the churches.

OK, we'll live with the Sunday crowd. However, soon the Sunday crowd gets the idea that it's OK to violate parking rules when the church decides to have Saturday services...and Wednesday services...and don't forget Bible class on Tuesday and choir practice on Thursday. Rules that are never enforced are as good as no rules at all. Residents become resentful when we get tickets and blatant violators do not.

I agree with Robinhood. Tickets should be written for violations of handicapped parking and street sweeping. No "understanding" except maybe on Sunday. In bed with Victory Outreach Church? I don't think so; just overly generous with the rules toward all Berwyn churches. Marge

Homebody

I am very alarmed by your observation of someone pouring paint down the sewers. Please call me or e-mail me about what you saw. You can pm me here but I don't usually expect to get messages here and don't often look for them. I'll keep an eye out for yours.

I encourage you to also come to the next City Council meeting and speak during the Public Forum portion of the agenda. I encourage everyone to come and keep me, this administration, and the other Aldermen accountable to the voters. Marge

billyjean

Quote from: Homebody on August 11, 2010, 01:43:03 PM
I am not a fan of the "special understanding" the police department has with churches. The practice of allowing church members to park in no parking zones, etc. has been going on for many administrations. I do understand the reason for the "understanding". Look around. How many churches, particularly in the 3rd Ward, have adequate parking for attendees? None.

When the congregation drives into the 3rd Ward for services on Sunday there is never enough parking close to the church doors. Victory Outreach Church referenced in Robinhood's post has made agreements with Emerson School and the dentist on Stanley to allow congregates to use the parking lots. Many Victory Outreach congregates do utilize that parking. Many want to be as close to the front door as possible.

Back to my point, sorry. So, the understanding, as I was told by former Chief Kushner, is that church goers in Berwyn get a break when they are attending services because there is so little parking available in the areas near most of the churches.

OK, we'll live with the Sunday crowd. However, soon the Sunday crowd gets the idea that it's OK to violate parking rules when the church decides to have Saturday services...and Wednesday services...and don't forget Bible class on Tuesday and choir practice on Thursday. Rules that are never enforced are as good as no rules at all. Residents become resentful when we get tickets and blatant violators do not.

I agree with Robinhood. Tickets should be written for violations of handicapped parking and street sweeping. No "understanding" except maybe on Sunday. In bed with Victory Outreach Church? I don't think so; just overly generous with the rules toward all Berwyn churches. Marge

Thanks, Marge for your post.  Here's what I don't get.  Sunday, Saturday ? .... there is MORE than enough parking on Stanley and Windsor, and all one has to do is walk ... what? ... two blocks?  I don't know what time Bible class is on Tuesday or choir practice on Thrusday, but if it's anywhere near the end of the work day, there is again, PLENTY of parking on Stanley.  I know cause I travel down that entire strectch during the week, and now that we have the parking garage it seems communters have opted to use that instead of parking along the train tracks.  So to me, there is absolutely no excuse regarding parking.  If you can't walk two blocks you are a sorry so and so.  In fact, I think it's only ONE block.  The church should be directed to use Stanley Ave. and if they don't, let the ticketing begin if they are not parked legal, or in a legal spot.

We all want a parking spot near where we are going, but when we have to bend the rules and obviously disregard the law to do that, it's not acceptable.

Bonster

Once I see the tracks from the street sweepers I feel free to park on that side of the street. 
I see no reason why tkts should be issued after that; their work is done.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Ted

Quote from: Rt. 66 on August 11, 2010, 03:32:55 PM

Once I see the tracks from the street sweepers I feel free to park on that side of the street. 

There may be other work that needs to be done after the streets are sweeped - for example, street repairs. The no parking on a side of a street between 9 to 4 is not just for the sweepers.

At least, that's the explanation I have heard in the past.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Ted on August 11, 2010, 10:42:28 PM

There may be other work that needs to be done after the streets are sweeped - for example, street repairs. The no parking on a side of a street between 9 to 4 is not just for the sweepers.

At least, that's the explanation I have heard in the past.

I've seen trees trimmed on my street once in seven years, and that was so the police surveillance truck could get a better view last month.

I've never seen road work performed.

Yes, those things could be done, but I'd say a sample of 350+ weeks is sufficient to say that it really doesn't happen.  Sure, it could, but it could also happen on any other day of the week.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

Quote from: Ted on August 11, 2010, 10:42:28 PM

Possibly, but the ordinance and signs are for street cleaning, not street repair.

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

buzz

Good Luck.
That "reasoning" doesn't work in LO court.  Why waste your time ?
You may luck out in your area (by not being patrolled) but here by St. Leonard's you'd probably get a ticket.
They have been trimming trees in our area and in most cases it looks like it's been coordinated with the sweeping.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?