News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

BERWYN CITY OFFICIALS IN BED WITH THE OUTREACH MINISTRY?

Started by Robinhood, August 10, 2010, 05:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: billyjean on August 23, 2010, 11:12:38 PM
have you been drinking Mrs.  You make no sense whatsoever.
No, I haven't.  How about you?

billyjean

Bon, bringing discussion back here. 

I responded to this because of the title of this thread:

"Berwyn City Officials In Bed With The Outreach Ministry?"

not

"My Concerns About the Ministry"
"My Complaints About the Ministry"

no, it was implying that some how, some way, Berwyn City Officials were behind, helping, assisting, asked the ministry to come here.

That's why I responded.

and yes, Brian, there is a difference between the Mosque and the Ministry.

The church was already there, and the ministry bought the property.

The Mosque has not even been built, but City officials are behind it's being built in that location.  It's not a matter of being built, it's where it is being built.

The Church in Berwyn was there for the buying by some entity.  It was bought.  By the ministry. 

I've said, if you have concerns go to council.  But no, you'd rather bitch here.

There is nothing the City can do, however, to rid you of a ministry you do not like.  If you know of a way that can be done, let's hear it.

berwynguy

Quote from: berwynguy on August 18, 2010, 11:14:52 PM
I personally am not crazy about the Victory outreach whatevertheyare.  There seems to be nothing we can do about it though because it is a religious institution whose rights are protected under the U.S. constitution.  Unless members of its congregation break the law our hands are tied.  The whole concept sure is a sign of the times in Berwyn though.

Since I personally hate to speculate and read through five pages of internet crap from NO ONE credible regarding this subject, I will ask an authority on the subject and hope to learn some FACTS.

Alderman Paul, what is the city's stance on the Victory church?  

What is all the bruhaha concerning the parking issue? **(I actually just saw your response to that on the first page of this thread.)**

Is there a significant number of residents that have expressed serious concerns about the church in general?

What personal stance do you take against/for Victory?

While we are on the subject again, it is very disappointing that Alderman Paul did not address any of the questions I put forth in the above quote.  I know she read it because I saw her reading this thread in the who's online section at least twice in the couple of days following my post. 
Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

Bonster

Quote from: berwynguy on August 24, 2010, 09:44:23 PM
I personally am not crazy about the Victory outreach whatevertheyare.  There seems to be nothing we can do about it though because it is a religious institution whose rights are protected under the U.S. constitution.  Unless members of its congregation break the law our hands are tied.  The whole concept sure is a sign of the times in Berwyn though.

Since I personally hate to speculate and read through five pages of internet crap from NO ONE credible regarding this subject, I will ask an authority on the subject and hope to learn some FACTS.

What is all the bruhaha concerning the parking issue? **(I actually just saw your response to that on the first page of this thread.)**

Is there a significant number of residents that have expressed serious concerns about the church in general?

While we are on the subject again, it is very disappointing that Alderman Paul did not address any of the questions I put forth in the above quote.  I know she read it because I saw her reading this thread in the who's online section at least twice in the couple of days following my post. 

LOL...you're very disappointed because she didn't respond to you on Berwyn Talk?

Go to council, like bj said.   She's the only one who will post - at all - on this board.   Take what you can get.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

Quote from: billyjean on August 24, 2010, 09:09:46 PM
There is nothing the City can do, however, to rid you of a ministry you do not like.  If you know of a way that can be done, let's hear it.

Who to believe??

Quote from: Bear on August 31, 2009, 09:36:00 PM
I know for a FACT that this is being taken care of by the mayor and BPD.

billyjean

Quote from: Rt. 66 on August 24, 2010, 09:52:12 PM

Who to believe??

Quote from: Bear on August 31, 2009, 09:36:00 PM
I know for a FACT that this is being taken care of by the mayor and BPD.

Yes, and they alreay met with them a long time ago.  So what now?

Bonster

Smoke joints in front of their members and tempt them with methadone.

buzz

Probably true, but we could at least enforce all local ordinances.  Why was the illegal parking tolerated for so long ?  What about the noise complaints and the loitering late at night ?
Oh I know, you're gonna' tell me it's only 2 obsessed neighbors, they're IVB and therefore they don't count
Well, I don't believe you.  And I don't agree with you.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

billyjean

Quote from: buzz on August 24, 2010, 10:24:09 PM
Probably true, but we could at least enforce all local ordinances.  Why was the illegal parking tolerated for so long ?  What about the noise complaints and the loitering late at night ?
Oh I know, you're gonna' tell me it's only 2 obsessed neighbors, they're IVB and therefore they don't count

You answered your own question.  Let anyone who has complaint go to council.

No, you'd rather moan about it here.

buzz

Quote from: Rt. 66 on August 24, 2010, 09:48:10 PM
While we are on the subject again, it is very disappointing that Alderman Paul did not address any of the questions I put forth in the above quote.
LOL...you're very disappointed because she didn't respond to you on Berwyn Talk?
Go to council, like bj said.   She's the only one who will post - at all - on this board.   Take what you can get.
Responding is not mandatory.  Go ask the Mayor.

berwynguy

I personally am not crazy about the Victory outreach whatevertheyare.  There seems to be nothing we can do about it though because it is a religious institution whose rights are protected under the U.S. constitution.  Unless members of its congregation break the law our hands are tied.  The whole concept sure is a sign of the times in Berwyn though.

That's not saying much about Berwyn Talk.  Not that I can argue with you there though.

buzz

Quote from: billyjean on August 24, 2010, 10:43:26 PM
Quote from: buzz on August 24, 2010, 10:24:09 PM
You answered your own question.  Let anyone who has complaint go to council.
No, you'd rather moan about it here.
Only your mind could possibly interpret my questions as an answer.
You're obviously having another one of your "BRDO moments".

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: berwynguy on August 24, 2010, 10:49:33 PM

That's not saying much about Berwyn Talk.  Not that I can argue with you there though.

If you don't want to post here, we'll not miss you.

Every elected official knows what is said out here.  Some dismiss it because they don't agree with it, some dismiss it because they don't think the residents should speak up, some dismiss it because this is not the way things have always been done in Berwyn.

But I know for a fact that elected officials in Springfield read it that represent Berwyn. 
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

berwynguy

QuoteIf you don't want to post here, we'll not miss you.

Every elected official knows what is said out here.  Some dismiss it because they don't agree with it, some dismiss it because they don't think the residents should speak up, some dismiss it because this is not the way things have always been done in Berwyn.

But I know for a fact that elected officials in Springfield read it that represent Berwyn.   

Big deal.  So what.  Why are you pissy at me?  I am not the one that laughed at the prospect at an elected official answering a question on BTF. 

As far as me being missed, well I am sure I would, whether people will admit or not.  I tell it straight without blind bullshit ideology to one Berwyn party or another.

Bonster

Quote from: berwynguy on August 24, 2010, 10:49:33 PM

If anything, that's not saying much about elected officials. 

The Jackal

Quote from: berwynguy on August 25, 2010, 12:49:15 AM
I tell it straight without blind bullshit ideology to one Berwyn party or another.

Just wondering what other communities besides Berwyn have you ever lived in?

Homebody

I feel like I am being called out. I'll aswer the questions. The City's stance on Victory Outreach Church? I don't know. The City really shouldn't have anything but a neutral stance on a church. Significant number of residents expressing serious concerns? No. I have received only a handful of calls; mostly from the same people. Most of the concerns are about a lack of parking on the street. Let me give you my personal opinion about that. I believe that people should clean out their garages and park in a protected spot on their own property. IMHO, paying taxes does not give you a right to park in front of your house. I have not been able to do that since I bought my home 19 years ago. My personal stance on the church? I worry about my property values all the time. My home is the biggest ticket item I have ever purchased. I am ashamed that I have to fight NIMBY feelings all the time about a lot of issues. The beautiful children and families that I observe entering the church are not the ones who raise my NIMBY fears. I do not want the church to become a half way house for parolees. I have spoken to the Mayor, Pastor Castro, two police chiefs and have called the building department when I observed construction with no building permits. What more can a neighbor do? Marge

berwynguy

Alderman Paul.  I don't know why you feel "called out."  You are an elected official.  I am sure people ask you questions all the time.  I asked some pretty straight foreword questions with no agenda other then just wanting some straight foreword answers.  You provided those.  Now I don't have to speculate anymore regarding this issue.  Thanks. 

Bonster

Quote from: berwynguy on August 25, 2010, 01:13:21 PM
Alderman Paul.  I don't know why you feel "called out." 

You don't?
Perhaps "it is very disappointing that Alderman Paul did not address any of the questions I put forth" had something to do with it.